Digital Cameras

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jonathan
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2004
    • 1229

    Digital Cameras

    Wonderin what sort of digital cameras do people here have?
    Any of you guys have a dSLR like the Canon EOS Digital Rebel or Rebel XT?
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C
  • sdjl
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2004
    • 502

    #2
    I use a Canon EOS 300D, which i think is called the digital rebel over in the US.
    I've got the additional battery grip for the bottom which adds space for another battery and another shutter release button for taking portrait shots.

    I got the standard 18-55mm EFS canon lense that came with it, but it's a bit plasticy, so i bought a Canon 28-135mm IS EF lense, which is so much nicer.
    I also bought a Canon Speedlite 420 EX which works quite nicely for flash photography

    I'm just getting into photography and it's a great camera to use at the moment. However, i would like to go with something more professional once i'm up to a certain level. In that case, i'd probably go with a Canon EOS 20D or if i was feeling wealthy, a Canon EOS 1D!

    David
    -----
    Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

    Comment

    • Frank Hagan
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2004
      • 724

      #3
      My first "real" digital camera was a Canon A70, which died right after the warranty expired. The shutter release button wouldn't activate the shutter release. I treated this camera like I would any other, and that's evidently a mistake with digital cameras.

      My second camera is a Canon Powershot S500, which I am very careful with; it takes good pictures but suffers from the same malady that almost all of the digital cameras suffer from: shutter lag.

      Jonathan, if you plan to take any kind of "action" shot, including kids running around, action at a Little League game, animals in the wild, etc., most digital cameras will have a lag of 1/2 to two seconds between the time you press the button and the time the picture is actually taken. You miss all the action. Don't be fooled by the number of pictures it can take "per second"; that's usually in a special continuous shot mode that you can enter, and the first shot is taken after the normal shutter lag for that camera.

      I've heard the EOS Rebel has a very short time for shutter lag. Is that your experience, Sdjl?

      Steve's Forums at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/ have a lot of user-posted reviews of nearly every brand out there. I found it very helpful when deciding on my cameras.

      Comment

      • Jonathan
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2004
        • 1229

        #4
        Originally posted by sdjl
        I use a Canon EOS 300D, which i think is called the digital rebel over in the US.
        I've got the additional battery grip for the bottom which adds space for another battery and another shutter release button for taking portrait shots.

        I got the standard 18-55mm EFS canon lense that came with it, but it's a bit plasticy, so i bought a Canon 28-135mm IS EF lense, which is so much nicer.
        I also bought a Canon Speedlite 420 EX which works quite nicely for flash photography

        I'm just getting into photography and it's a great camera to use at the moment. However, i would like to go with something more professional once i'm up to a certain level. In that case, i'd probably go with a Canon EOS 20D or if i was feeling wealthy, a Canon EOS 1D!

        David
        Yes, the 300D is known as the EOS Digital Rebel over here in America.
        Do you like it? Is it easy to use? I am thinking of getting it or the new
        "XT" version of the dRebel.
        "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
        - C

        Comment

        • sdjl
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2004
          • 502

          #5
          Originally posted by Frank Hagan
          I've heard the EOS Rebel has a very short time for shutter lag. Is that your experience, Sdjl?
          I've not experienced any major shutter lag asides from when i want to take a series of shots very quickly. But then that's because the images are stored in a temporary memory and then saved to the memory card.

          Jonathan, i like my 300D It's easy to use and has those features that you'd need if you were getting into photography. You can go into shutter mode, which then sets the aperature automatically, or go into aperature mode which then shuts the shutter automatically. There's also the option of going completley manual, which allows you to set both of those values.

          It's pretty good for a starter camera really

          David
          -----
          Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

          Comment

          • Jonathan
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2004
            • 1229

            #6
            You said you have a Canon Speedlite 420 EX - is the
            built-in flash no good then? Why need a external flash unit?
            "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
            - C

            Comment

            • ChrisTech
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2004
              • 530

              #7
              Ive got a kodak easyshare like 3730 or something like that. Dunno, its at home somewhere buried on my desk most likely.

              Not too bad. 3.1 megapixel. Enuff for what I do with it.
              Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

              My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

              Comment

              • Gmrx
                Junior Member
                • Jun 2005
                • 1

                #8
                I'm using a Canon PowerShot A95 and I love it. It's an excellent camera.
                (Neptune Ice)

                Comment

                • sdjl
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2004
                  • 502

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jonathan
                  You said you have a Canon Speedlite 420 EX - is the
                  built-in flash no good then? Why need a external flash unit?
                  I got an external flash as it's better for doing bounce flash photography and it's better at further distances
                  I take photos for a band night which is in quite an exclosed space, which happens to be white. So in that situation, bouncing the flash is more suitable.

                  The internal flash is perfectly respectable for basic flash needs though.

                  David
                  -----
                  Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

                  Comment

                  • yllw98stng
                    Junior Member
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 2

                    #10
                    Rebel XT

                    I just purchased the Rebel XT about 3 weeks ago and have used it as a secondary camera when i shoot weddings. So far I love it. I also have the 420EX Speedlight. The extra light is way better than the built in flash. The camera has very short shutter lag time.

                    Comment

                    • ChrisTech
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • 530

                      #11
                      Dug around, couldn't find my camera, finally found it (someone else decided to borrow it without asking, but couldnt figure out how to "get the pictures off it")

                      I've got a Kodak EasyShare CX6330.

                      Specs
                      Review

                      Pretty handy for what I use it for. Pictures here and there, or if I see something interesting on the way to/from work.
                      Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

                      My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

                      Comment

                      • KyleC
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • 291

                        #12
                        I have 2 Nikon D2h and 2 Fugi S2 cameras. Waiting a few more months before going with the new D2x, a little expensive now. I was looking at the Fugi S3 but the image quality and build quality isnt as good as the d2x. The nikons are also way more responsive.

                        I am a sports photographer and also do weddings.
                        Last edited by KyleC; 07-13-2005, 08:28 PM.
                        -Kyle

                        Comment

                        • Jonathan
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • 1229

                          #13
                          Kyle do you have any experience with the Nikon D50 and D70 models?
                          From what I understand (not alot LOL) these are supposed to be
                          their (Nikon's) answer to Canon's Digital Rebel (aka 300D) and Digital Rebel XT (aka 350D)
                          "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
                          - C

                          Comment

                          • sdjl
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • 502

                            #14
                            Originally posted by KyleC
                            Waiting a few more months before going with the new D2x, a little expensive now.
                            3,500!! That's the price in the UK anyway! A little expensive! :-D

                            David
                            -----
                            Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

                            Comment

                            • KyleC
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2004
                              • 291

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Jonathan
                              Kyle do you have any experience with the Nikon D50 and D70 models?
                              From what I understand (not alot LOL) these are supposed to be
                              their (Nikon's) answer to Canon's Digital Rebel (aka 300D) and Digital Rebel XT (aka 350D)

                              I have used a d70 more than a few times, i like it allot, albeit it isnt as reponsive as a the higher end models. They are fine cameras. The flash metering on them is perfect.


                              Originally posted by sdjl
                              3,500!! That's the price in the UK anyway! A little expensive! :-D

                              David
                              Cost of doing business. Plus its allot of fun!
                              -Kyle

                              Comment

                              Working...