X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CMO
    • Mar 2012

Interested in a new account

Background:
    I am a designer, but I started offering my clients "managed hosting". What this means is they have a place to host their site that includes a certain amount of time for website edits (ie. plan 1 = hosting + 1 hour editing, etc). The clients' only access to their hosting is webmail. They do not get FTP or cPanel access as I handle all of that for them. I only host sites that I've built so I don't need to worry about rogue scripts, etc. I doubt I will ever have more than 20 client accounts at a time - I'm a one-man show and don't have enough hours in a week to guarantee support for much more than that.

My current hosting is a shared account (with another company) and I use cPanel's Addon Domain feature. I thought this would be ideal as I would have a single point of FTP access to all domains (instead of multiple FTP accounts), but it's starting to become a little messy. Not to mention that if I build and host a site for a client that needs its own IP I would be SOL.

FTP
    - With a reseller account, is it still possible to have a single FTP login that would give me access to all accounts under my reseller account (without having to use Addon Domain domains)?

IP Address
    - With the dedicated IP, can rDNS be set (ie. host.mydomain.com)?
    - Can a default domain be set? (If someone types in the IP instead of the domain name, can I decide which website shows up?)

I'm not worried about 'hiding' that I don't run my own servers or datacenter (that's silly). I don't even care about "white label" name servers or using my own name servers. I'm pretty open about how I host on my current site. However, a client recently asked why I did not have a "WoT Rating" - I had no idea what that was.

After a little research I found that "Web of Trust" is a user-supported site rating system that tries to look out for malicious sites, scams, etc. While I hadn't heard of it before, it seems like its actually fairly popular - complete with browser plugins, etc. You can request a site evaluation, but some of the things they down-rate for are rDNS not showing your domain, etc, etc.

At first I thought it was silly to worry about this, but as the days go by I find myself actually starting to worry about it.

Network
    - I skimmed the site, but I didn't see any where I could test the speeds / responsiveness from my location. Is there a file I can download at different times during the day to test this out?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

- CMO
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

I apologize for the delay in responding to your post. While I certainly don't want to deter anyone from posting their questions here, if you do require a quicker response we're always available via email at sales@dathorn.com. That said, I will receive email notifications concerning any replies you make now.

With a cPanel / WHM based reseller account you do not have a single FTP login where you can access all of your cPanel accounts. This simply is not an option that cPanel provides and from a security standpoint I would highly discourage it even if it were. FTP logins are far too frequently compromised from malware / virus infections on client computers as it is.

A dedicated IP address will work for one domain and when visiting this IP directly you will simply see that domain's content. We do not allow custom reverse DNS entries for dedicated IP addresses.

I've never heard of "WoT" either and quite frankly anyone that is down rating a domain because it doesn't have matching reverse DNS should be ignored. This would be the case for more than 99% of domains since it is impossible for even a small fraction of registered domains to have a dedicated IPv4 address. Unless a dedicated IP address is required (typically only for SSL / HTTPS), the domains will share one of the server's IP addresses. Each IP address can only have one reverse DNS entry so it is easy to see how this kind of check wouldn't be of any value. In short, you were correct to begin with, there is no reason to even give it a second thought.

I'll be sending you a private message here on the forums with a test download link shortly.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Comment

• CMO
      • Mar 2012

Thanks for the reply, Andrew. No worries on the delay - I wasn't expecting a lightning fast response on the forum

Thanks for clearing up the rDNS questions.

On this page:

Explore details of our fully featured cPanel hosting plans.

... it shows a check beside dedicated IP address. Does this mean the account comes with one or does that mean its an available option? If it comes with a dedicated IP, is that the IP that all of your accounts will share, or do the accounts use the server's general shared IP?

I'm in no hurry for answers, I still have a lot of planning to do.

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

By default cPanel accounts that you create via WHM will utilize one of the server's shared IP addresses. Dedicated IP addresses are available and can be allocated to a single cPanel account. A dedicated IP address is generally only needed if you intend on using SSL. Proper justification for all dedicated IP addresses is required per ARIN guidelines. The first dedicated IP address is free, all others are $1.50/month each.

Comment

Working...