Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zippants
    • Sep 2004

Reselling Questions: Payments, DNS Registry, and a few others

Standard intro: newbie, got the very basics down on setting up new accounts and what goes along with that (thanks Andrew for setting a great, easy-to-get-started-on system). However, I was hoping to take advantage of the knowledge base here and get some suggestions/start points on engaging in the actual business of actively reselling hosting, managing billing, and providing direct, built-in DNS reselling, etc.

In particular I'm interested in any recommendations on:
    ´ software to handle set-up/billing for new accounts
    ´ DNS resellers that allow you to process new accounts through your own website (i.e. not only provide a web space, but allow users to pick their domain too)
    ´ Billing software that can charge automatically monthly for current customers

Thanks for any information or literature,
    Don
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

Cannot answer the 1st or 3rd, but for "DNS Reseller" ~ check:

I think another one called 'eNom' (not 100% sure) is
    supposed to be good; I myself do not have any experience with these.
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Comment

• retro
      • Jun 2004

WHM Autopilot

I use WHM Autopilot to set up accounts and manage all of my billing issues. Kind of pricey if you're just getting started and aren't sure how well things will go, but if you know this is something you are going to stick with, I'd check it out:

WHM Autopilot
      Denny Cave
      http://www.retrointeractive.com

Comment

• Anthony
        • Apr 2004

Wow I'm a little late on this one...

does WHM autopilot actually BILL the clients, or does it check another script (such as ubersmith) to see if the clients paid?

I'm debating wether to get it or not, but I can't figure out from their site if it actually bills or not

Comment

• sdjl
          • Mar 2004

It looks like it simply creates a gateway between your choosen billing method and your customer.
          So that would mean you have to subscribe/use another service to actually bill your customer.

David
          -----
          Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• Anthony
            • Apr 2004

Then I guess it's not worth it then. I see there's modernbill (i think, i remember something about WHM on their site) and whois.cart which work with WHM and bill customers,for less than you get Autopilot for. Any experiences with each? I searched, but I've only found one or two lines of opinions...

Comment

• Anthony
              • Apr 2004

Also...any sort of all-in-one solution? That's usually easier, but longer to setup...

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                • Mar 2004

I purchased whois.cart, but then was very frustrated with a problem they had that caused all of the carts out there to quit working (or, at least a good number of them, including mine). Evidently they had programmed something so that an unknown "time limit" was coded into the application.

There was a time-consuming fix for the problem, so I left them and went back to my prior set up, phpCoin (free) for signups, tracking and the like, and Paypal "subscriptions" (also "free", they take a % of each sale) for recurring billing.

I did get a sign up with DirectI, a domain name registrar, with my whois.cart purchase. That was worth more than the cost of the software, since I have already saved more than the $35 I paid for whois.cart.

Paypal works for me because my customer base is geared toward the small hobbyist or club type organization, and they don't mind using Paypal for payment.

Comment

• Jonathan
                  • Mar 2004

Hey Frank, how hard is phpCoin to intergrate to a site?
                  How good is it? Any better than osCommerce? etc.
                  "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
                  - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                    • Mar 2004

phpCoin is pretty easy to integrate. Its a lot different than OSCommerce, as its not really a store but a hosting services package. It includes a help desk, FAQs, trouble tickets with an auto-email feature, and gateways to most payment processors. You can load each customer's info, including who their registrar is, when their domain name expires, when their hosting expires, the server they are on, etc. You can have customers assigned to "groups" that can only see certain products or pricing. It has a lot of features.

I probably need to check to see if they have a new version out. They have probably added features since I installed it a few months ago.

Comment

Working...