X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by smartcard
    Why no one is coming up wiht a forum similar to vBulletin but FREE
    We're looking for the smallest hog? Not the biggest porker.

I like that punBB. Definitely going take a closer look.
    Last edited by Buddha; 04-19-2004, 02:48 PM. Reason: Being to think the "t" key is faulty.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• wayland
      • Mar 2004

I recently switched from YaBB SP1.3.1 (the cgi version) to Invision 1.3.

I used YaBB for a couple of years and have to say that I really liked it. It's very easy to install, the YaBB community support forum is excellent, and there are tons of great mods.

Unfortunately, however, YaBB has the reputaion of being somewhat of a resource hog. Since my board has now grown to 644 members, I figured it might be time to move to a system known to get a little better "gas mileage".

Anyway, Invision seems to be an excellent system. I installed the "free" version through cPanel to try it out first, then opted to upgrade to the latest version and purchased a license for the support. So far, I've not been disappointed, and many of my members have expressed how much better they like it than YaBB.

Comment

• bhills
        • Mar 2004

Buddha,

The punBB looks very interesting to me also. If anyone gives it a good test, please post. At first glance, I would like to be able to increase the size of the type used in the posts. It's too small. The guy with this script says he runs the punBB forum on a "450Mhz Pentium 3 using a DSL uplink with 40 KB/s maximum upload."

Comment

• paulC
          • Mar 2004

Any suggestions for a good server load limit to set for the Invision BB in the CPU saving settings?

Comment

• samsam
            • Mar 2004

Good question

There's no hard and fast answer to setting the CPU load limit in Invision.

After all, it is not a setting just to throttle Invision back, but it is also meant to make Invision a nice neighbour on a server. But sometimes it can make Invision too nice a neighbour, and it will kick you off for reasons that may have nothing to do with what Invision is up to.

So the right setting will depend not only on how busy your board is, but also how typically busy the server is overall.

In my testing on my Dathorn server of this setting, I started low and worked my way up.

When I set it at 10%, even with just one user (me) on the board, I was occassionally being locked out of Invision, NOT because Invision was hogging the CPU, but because some other application had grabbed a heap of CPU cycles on the Dathorn server for several seconds or more.

Things like the Exim mail server for example, or users logging onto cPanel, seem to be regularly spiking the server to 90%+ CPU utilisation, and so these hogs were stopping Invision from letting me access the forum. Invision was being very nice to the server, but not to me.

So I set it to about 25%, and never had any problems.

This was VERY limited testing, but I think the main point to note is that Invision is actually very efficient in the way it interacts with the server (depending in part on how you set it up, your template etc etc YMMV), and so probably won't really ever be a problem itself, unless you get many thousands of users and they all decide to logon at once.

So I would set that CPU load feature at about 25%, and see how it goes.

Also, if you can, have a look at how your server is going, CPU utilisation wise, for a while - I just set top running for a while in a terminal window at a couple of different times during the day, and watched what was going on, what happened when I did something in Invision etc.

That might also help you tune that setting.

Sam

Comment

Working...