Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattw
    • Oct 2004

Custom nameserver problems

I'm pretty new at DNS, so it's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious. I use godaddy for my registrar, and followed the excellent instructions in the FAQ (http://forums.dathorn.com/showthread.php?t=24) to create custom nameservers, but I'm still having some problems.

I have created the custom nameservers "ns1.starvale.net" and "ns2.starvale.net", using the appropriate IP addresses, in godaddy's interface. I then set the nameservers for another domain, fortressacademy.com, to ns1.starvale.net and ns2.starvale.net. Unfortunately, the domain is not resolving. Running a check at checkdns.net indicates that the nameservers resolve to IP addresses, but are not authoritative and do not return SOA.

I also notice that while I can go to dns73.gzo.com and get a reply, trying to visit ns1.starvale.net fails. If ns1.starvale.net is just pointing to dns73.gzo.com, shouldn't this work too?

I'm at a loss to know what I've done wrong...if somebody could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks,

Matt
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Further setup is required for your nameservers to work in the way that you have described, all but a handful of ISPs will work just fine with simply setting them up at your registrar but if you submit a trouble ticket with this information that we can finish this configuration for you.

Comment

• paradiselost
      • Apr 2004

Is this a new change, because I set up my nameservers with godaddy a while ago (about a year) and it works fine, but now I'm worried because I want to set up a new domain with my custom nameservers. Do we need to submit a trouble ticket now for each new domain we register with custom nameservers then? Or, is this a special case?
      --
      ** DEVTRENCH **
      --
      James Ehly

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

Only some ISPs have problems with this that requires specific changes to each domain's DNS zone. It's nothing really new.

Comment

Working...