Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisTech
    • Mar 2004

Adaware (gotta be a new winner here)

On one of the machines I was working on today, I was doing the normal adaware scan, and you just have to see the results.

You have to admit, that's pretty darn impressive.

Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

Not sure about BullDog, but damn Windows Messenger
    and Kazaa both are spyware, adware, and trojan heavens.

I must say wow. How long ago did the guy/girl scan it?!
    It was maybe 7months of M$IE surfing before I got Ad-Aware
    and FireFox, and I only had maybe 20 pieces of junk
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Comment

• ChrisTech
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
      Not sure about BullDog, but damn Windows Messenger
      and Kazaa both are spyware, adware, and trojan heavens.

I must say wow. How long ago did the guy/girl scan it?!
      It was maybe 7months of M$IE surfing before I got Ad-Aware
      and FireFox, and I only had maybe 20 pieces of junk

It took about 90 min for the scan. They had a bunch of junk installed on there. Weather Bug, internet optimizer, 3 different toolbars, that IEHost junk, and IEhelp, and IEeverything, the 180Search junk, --- I removed a bunch of programs from their machine. That's just the most I've ever seen. Before that 3895 was my max. And I didn't have a screen shot of that one. This time, I got me one.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
        • Mar 2004

Wow! And I thought I had a bad one when a friend's laptop yielded 535 things (along with three viruses that Norton identified).

Comment

• Jonathan
          • Mar 2004

The bunch of junk I know well of; last time I went to get evaluated
          the teacher lady asked what I'd been doing besides schoolwork (like reading, etc.).

I told and she asked if I knew how to clear viruses.
          I admit, its scary sitting there and watching programs pop up
          and start downloading themselves and installing all by 'themselves.

Also, a question... what happens if AVG 6.0 spots a virus (or more)
          but cannot remove them? (Like system file, etc.)

Also did you happen to convert them to FireFox?
          - C

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

Not even close, sorry

Was fixing a friends computer and found just short of 12,000 items as the thing had duplicated itself over and over.

Comment

• ChrisTech
              • Mar 2004

The bunch of junk I know well of; last time I went to get evaluated
              the teacher lady asked what I'd been doing besides schoolwork (like reading, etc.).

I told and she asked if I knew how to clear viruses.
              I admit, its scary sitting there and watching programs pop up
              and start downloading themselves and installing all by 'themselves.

Also, a question... what happens if AVG 6.0 spots a virus (or more)
              but cannot remove them? (Like system file, etc.)

Also did you happen to convert them to FireFox?

I hate AVG. I've had to fix 3 pc's lately that have had AVG 6 "protecting them" and each pc had at least 30+ infected files. The one pc would have avg dectect the virus on boot, give you the blue/red screen asking what you wanted to do with it, and no matter what you choose, it would hard lock the machine (infected file was widows media player). Only way to fix, is boot to safe mode, and remove avg, then fix the viruses, then re-install avg (if you think its worth it).

Most people don't like new things. Its hard enough trying to get people to accept that they need anti-virus. Thought I did install FF 1.0 PR on 2 pcs earlier this week, since its the 3rd time they had been in for spyware since this past March. Even though FF is set to be default, I will see those pc's again by Feb.

Andrew, got a screen shot? If so I'd love to have one. And you said it duplicated itself, was that in system restore (where it was duplicated) ?

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ChrisTech
                I hate AVG. I've had to fix 3 pc's lately that have had AVG 6 "protecting them" and each pc had at least 30+ infected files. The one pc would have avg dectect the virus on boot, give you the blue/red screen asking what you wanted to do with it, and no matter what you choose, it would hard lock the machine (infected file was widows media player). Only way to fix, is boot to safe mode, and remove avg, then fix the viruses, then re-install avg (if you think its worth it).

Most people don't like new things. Its hard enough trying to get people to accept that they need anti-virus. Thought I did install FF 1.0 PR on 2 pcs earlier this week, since its the 3rd time they had been in for spyware since this past March. Even though FF is set to be default, I will see those pc's again by Feb.

Andrew, got a screen shot? If so I'd love to have one. And you said it duplicated itself, was that in system restore (where it was duplicated) ?
                Any suggestion for a Anti-Virus? Not Norton!
                Just tried it and it was POS, left remains even after deleting it.

Originally posted by AndrewT
                Not even close, sorry
                Was fixing a friends computer and found just short of 12,000 items as the thing had duplicated itself over and over.
                Not to sound like a Democrat, but can I demand a recount?
                Last edited by Jonathan; 11-11-2004, 12:19 PM.
                - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                  • Mar 2004

ChrisTech, what anti-virus do you like? I've used Norton for the last 4 years, and I've been happy with it as long as I keep the updates fresh (finally set it to auto-update). We use McAfee at work, and I like them OK too.

I don't use the "security suite" from Symantec that includes Norton and a firewall, etc. as I don't like the bundled programs. But I've stayed with Norton because I've heard intermittant problems with AVG.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    • Mar 2004

At one point we used McAffee but it caused a lot of PC problems. Now we use Trend and it works really well. I think in the latest tests Trend comes out very highly rated.

My Dell laptop came with McAffee so I used it since it was already there, but when I upgraded to Outlook2003 ($19.95 OfficePro 2003 thru work) any time a virus came in (what are the odds?? (most came from my Father-in-Law who refused to use protection)) Outlook would lock up, when my subscription ran out I bought Norton. McAffee called me a few weeks later wanting to know why I did not renew, I told them their software sucks and maybe they should spend more money on the software and less calling people up asking why we cancelled...DOH
                    "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Comment

• Jonathan
                      • Mar 2004

Anybody have any comments on Zone Lab's products?
                      Their ZoneAlarm Security Suite looks pretty good.

Or Panda Platinum Internet Security.

On that note, if I got Panda Platinum IS off NewEgg (2004 OEM)
                      would it include a subscription for a updates? (like 6mo or 1yr)
                      Last edited by Jonathan; 11-11-2004, 02:44 PM.
                      - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                        • Mar 2004

Zone Alarms firewall is very nice ... I use it and like it. It can get a corrupted database and slow down your system though, so I always keep the archive handy to remove/reinstall the product (easier than editing the data base in my view!)

But I don't generally like "suites" of products. Usually they are 3 or 4 less capable programs bundled with the company's flagship product ... and in the case of Zone Alarm and Norton, I think that holds true.

I prefer to pick from among the best individual, stand alone programs. I use Norton AV, Zone Alarms firewall and Ad-Aware (and also Spybot Search and Destroy, which co-exists with Ad-Aware.)

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Mar 2004

Does that hold true for Trend Micro's PC-chilling Internet Security?

So far, I admit I really do like this Security Suite...
                          Everything in one nice easy panel <happy> easy to manage.
                          - C

Comment

• Mocs
                            • Mar 2004

Any suggestion for a Anti-Virus? Not Norton!
                            Just tried it and it was POS, left remains even after deleting it.

Not to sound like a Democrat, but can I demand a recount?
                            I've use AVAST anti virus with super results. Never had a problem, picks up many viruses Norton leaves behind. It has been around for quite a while, definetely a solid performer and it's FREE.

Try http://www.avast.com/ for more information.

Comment

• DaCurryman
                              • Mar 2004

I used to use Norton all the time. Norton 2003 worked well for me and I used it for a little over a year. I heard that Norton 2004 has/had a lot of bugs in it. Also, both Norton and McAfee are heavy on system resources. And I agree with ChrisTech that AVG just sux. I've since switched all my machines to Panda Platinum 7.

It works great and my favorite part is that it has definition file updates several times a day as opposed to Norton/McAfee where you get them about once a week. It's firewall can be tricky, but I dont use it since I use the firewall on my router anyway. You can get Panda Platinum 7 free for one year here from here: http://www.pandasecurity.com/zd/

Comment

Working...