Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Adaware (gotta be a new winner here)

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    530

    Talking Adaware (gotta be a new winner here)

    On one of the machines I was working on today, I was doing the normal adaware scan, and you just have to see the results.

    You have to admit, that's pretty darn impressive.

    Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

    My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL / Rochester, NY / Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    Not sure about BullDog, but damn Windows Messenger
    and Kazaa both are spyware, adware, and trojan heavens.

    I must say wow. How long ago did the guy/girl scan it?!
    It was maybe 7months of M$IE surfing before I got Ad-Aware
    and FireFox, and I only had maybe 20 pieces of junk
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Not sure about BullDog, but damn Windows Messenger
    and Kazaa both are spyware, adware, and trojan heavens.

    I must say wow. How long ago did the guy/girl scan it?!
    It was maybe 7months of M$IE surfing before I got Ad-Aware
    and FireFox, and I only had maybe 20 pieces of junk

    It took about 90 min for the scan. They had a bunch of junk installed on there. Weather Bug, internet optimizer, 3 different toolbars, that IEHost junk, and IEhelp, and IEeverything, the 180Search junk, --- I removed a bunch of programs from their machine. That's just the most I've ever seen. Before that 3895 was my max. And I didn't have a screen shot of that one. This time, I got me one.
    Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

    My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Wow! And I thought I had a bad one when a friend's laptop yielded 535 things (along with three viruses that Norton identified).

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL / Rochester, NY / Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    The bunch of junk I know well of; last time I went to get evaluated
    the teacher lady asked what I'd been doing besides schoolwork (like reading, etc.).

    I told and she asked if I knew how to clear viruses.
    I admit, its scary sitting there and watching programs pop up
    and start downloading themselves and installing all by 'themselves.

    Also, a question... what happens if AVG 6.0 spots a virus (or more)
    but cannot remove them? (Like system file, etc.)

    Also did you happen to convert them to FireFox?
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

  6. #6
    Administrator AndrewT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    Not even close, sorry

    Was fixing a friends computer and found just short of 12,000 items as the thing had duplicated itself over and over.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    The bunch of junk I know well of; last time I went to get evaluated
    the teacher lady asked what I'd been doing besides schoolwork (like reading, etc.).

    I told and she asked if I knew how to clear viruses.
    I admit, its scary sitting there and watching programs pop up
    and start downloading themselves and installing all by 'themselves.

    Also, a question... what happens if AVG 6.0 spots a virus (or more)
    but cannot remove them? (Like system file, etc.)

    Also did you happen to convert them to FireFox?

    I hate AVG. I've had to fix 3 pc's lately that have had AVG 6 "protecting them" and each pc had at least 30+ infected files. The one pc would have avg dectect the virus on boot, give you the blue/red screen asking what you wanted to do with it, and no matter what you choose, it would hard lock the machine (infected file was widows media player). Only way to fix, is boot to safe mode, and remove avg, then fix the viruses, then re-install avg (if you think its worth it).

    Most people don't like new things. Its hard enough trying to get people to accept that they need anti-virus. Thought I did install FF 1.0 PR on 2 pcs earlier this week, since its the 3rd time they had been in for spyware since this past March. Even though FF is set to be default, I will see those pc's again by Feb.

    Andrew, got a screen shot? If so I'd love to have one. And you said it duplicated itself, was that in system restore (where it was duplicated) ?
    Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

    My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL / Rochester, NY / Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTech
    I hate AVG. I've had to fix 3 pc's lately that have had AVG 6 "protecting them" and each pc had at least 30+ infected files. The one pc would have avg dectect the virus on boot, give you the blue/red screen asking what you wanted to do with it, and no matter what you choose, it would hard lock the machine (infected file was widows media player). Only way to fix, is boot to safe mode, and remove avg, then fix the viruses, then re-install avg (if you think its worth it).

    Most people don't like new things. Its hard enough trying to get people to accept that they need anti-virus. Thought I did install FF 1.0 PR on 2 pcs earlier this week, since its the 3rd time they had been in for spyware since this past March. Even though FF is set to be default, I will see those pc's again by Feb.

    Andrew, got a screen shot? If so I'd love to have one. And you said it duplicated itself, was that in system restore (where it was duplicated) ?
    Any suggestion for a Anti-Virus? Not Norton!
    Just tried it and it was POS, left remains even after deleting it.


    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT
    Not even close, sorry
    Was fixing a friends computer and found just short of 12,000 items as the thing had duplicated itself over and over.
    Not to sound like a Democrat, but can I demand a recount?
    Last edited by Jonathan; 11-11-2004 at 11:19 AM.
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    724

    Default

    ChrisTech, what anti-virus do you like? I've used Norton for the last 4 years, and I've been happy with it as long as I keep the updates fresh (finally set it to auto-update). We use McAfee at work, and I like them OK too.

    I don't use the "security suite" from Symantec that includes Norton and a firewall, etc. as I don't like the bundled programs. But I've stayed with Norton because I've heard intermittant problems with AVG.

  10. #10
    Member ThomasW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    98

    Default

    At one point we used McAffee but it caused a lot of PC problems. Now we use Trend and it works really well. I think in the latest tests Trend comes out very highly rated.

    My Dell laptop came with McAffee so I used it since it was already there, but when I upgraded to Outlook2003 ($19.95 OfficePro 2003 thru work) any time a virus came in (what are the odds?? (most came from my Father-in-Law who refused to use protection)) Outlook would lock up, when my subscription ran out I bought Norton. McAffee called me a few weeks later wanting to know why I did not renew, I told them their software sucks and maybe they should spend more money on the software and less calling people up asking why we cancelled...DOH
    "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •