Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaware (gotta be a new winner here)

Daytona Beach, FL / Rochester, NY / Coeur d'Alene, ID

Anybody have any comments on Zone Lab's products?
    Their ZoneAlarm Security Suite looks pretty good.

Or Panda Platinum Internet Security.

On that note, if I got Panda Platinum IS off NewEgg (2004 OEM)
    would it include a subscription for a updates? (like 6mo or 1yr)
    Last edited by Jonathan; 11-11-2004 at 01:44 PM.
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Zone Alarms firewall is very nice ... I use it and like it. It can get a corrupted database and slow down your system though, so I always keep the archive handy to remove/reinstall the product (easier than editing the data base in my view!)

But I don't generally like "suites" of products. Usually they are 3 or 4 less capable programs bundled with the company's flagship product ... and in the case of Zone Alarm and Norton, I think that holds true.

I prefer to pick from among the best individual, stand alone programs. I use Norton AV, Zone Alarms firewall and Ad-Aware (and also Spybot Search and Destroy, which co-exists with Ad-Aware.)

Does that hold true for Trend Micro's PC-chilling Internet Security?

So far, I admit I really do like this Security Suite...
    Everything in one nice easy panel <happy> easy to manage.
    - C

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Any suggestion for a Anti-Virus? Not Norton!
    Just tried it and it was POS, left remains even after deleting it.

Not to sound like a Democrat, but can I demand a recount?
    I've use AVAST anti virus with super results. Never had a problem, picks up many viruses Norton leaves behind. It has been around for quite a while, definetely a solid performer and it's FREE.

Try http://www.avast.com/ for more information.

I used to use Norton all the time. Norton 2003 worked well for me and I used it for a little over a year. I heard that Norton 2004 has/had a lot of bugs in it. Also, both Norton and McAfee are heavy on system resources. And I agree with ChrisTech that AVG just sux. I've since switched all my machines to Panda Platinum 7.

It works great and my favorite part is that it has definition file updates several times a day as opposed to Norton/McAfee where you get them about once a week. It's firewall can be tricky, but I dont use it since I use the firewall on my router anyway. You can get Panda Platinum 7 free for one year here from here: http://www.pandasecurity.com/zd/

Noooooooooooooooooo ASP screwup, line #180
    Arrrrggg. I'll have to see if I can get it to work later.

Sounds like a killer program.

<edited> Found a way around (even after I emailed them lol) ->
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/zd/vip_faq.html </edited>

I like it already: I can create schedueled scans.
    Being able to automatically scan the memory @ startup
    and then twice a day, with one full scan @ midnight-- pretty good

Not sure about the firewall, but one thing I don't like so far:
    Each time I boot up it downloads a new update then askes me
    to restart; Why can't it just update to the latest file?

Anyways, I'm going to take off my current firewall later
    today and try out the firewall; if I don't like it, Sygate has a good deal:
    http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...P=0&CACHE_ID=0

Basically their pro firewall + the "antivirus only" part of the Plantinum.
    Only problem with that is I'd have to pay both Sygate and Panda to keep
    updated... hmm, something to consider.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 11-12-2004 at 01:15 PM.
    - C

Okay here's a potientally dumb and stupid question,
    but forgive me-- I'm not used to paying $ afterwords to get updates.

On NewEgg, I found the OEM 2004 versions of Panda's
    Internet Security and Titanium Antivirus programs.

Now, seeing as its OEM and this year's, does that
    mean its outdated a full year's worth, since they have
    the 2005 line out already...? Also does it come with any
    free update subscription? If so for how long??

I'm not extremely keen to pay $40 extra
    for updates when it'd be cheaper to pay $45 or $55
    for the most current versions of both software packages.

Also, I notice that the Antivirus has a firewall; how good is it?
    And how good is the antivirus for the Security one that's $10 more??

Am I even making sense?
    Last edited by Jonathan; 11-12-2004 at 07:11 PM.
    - C

Quote Originally Posted by Mocs
    I've use AVAST anti virus with super results. Never had a problem, picks up many viruses Norton leaves behind. It has been around for quite a while, definetely a solid performer and it's FREE.

Try http://www.avast.com/ for more information.
    Been use AVAST and AVG for awhile since Computer Associates stop their free program. Used Norton for years and have much fewer problems without them. Thinking of switching my customers off Norton too. Not sure to what though?
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan
    ChrisTech, what anti-virus do you like? I've used Norton for the last 4 years, and I've been happy with it as long as I keep the updates fresh (finally set it to auto-update). We use McAfee at work, and I like them OK too.

I don't use the "security suite" from Symantec that includes Norton and a firewall, etc. as I don't like the bundled programs. But I've stayed with Norton because I've heard intermittant problems with AVG.

I've used Norton Antivirus since July 1997. Never really had an issue with it. Some of the newer versions (2004/2005) Im beginning to see some issues with (mainly only on XP Home machines though).

I currently run Nav2003. Just paid for the upgraded subscription last month. Works great on my system, isn't a newer and more bloated version.

I don't care for the packaged deals that Symantec has, nor for their system suite (NIS). I've had more users with more issues for that program, that I like to stay far, far away from it.

AVG is on my personal sh*tlist now. Just had a machine come in that was infected, but AVG refuses to fix the problem and tends to lock up the machine. (So I guess technically it is "protecting" that user) Removed it, ran the online scans for Pandasoftware and Trendmicro, which both verified it was clean. Sent it home. Lady called me up friday night, stating that AVG is currently picking up 10 infected files, but I know Panda & Trend said it was clean. Go figure, I will find out monday or whenever she brings in the machine.

I don't care much for McAffee. The program is made to look like a full suite, so users think that all of it is needed. Kinda bulky feeling, or maybe boggy, doesn't seem that "user friendly" (but could be cuz I am biased towards anything that isnt Nav).

For removing NAV if you have a problem with it I highly suggest you use Symantec's own RNAV programs (remove nav). They have a RNAV2003.exe file and I forget what is out there for 2004. And I have the NAV2005 Removal instructions rarred somewhere (need to add to my website) which uses reg files to remove all extra files.

I have a site that I loaded e107 on, and put a couple basic help tutorials/fixes on the site that I use myself @ work frequently. I just need to find the time to add more articles, as well as get some people to help me add more, basically need more of a user base I guess.
    Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

I tried Panda's Titanium software on my pc here at work a bit ago, but either I didn't have it configured right, or it was just being a pain. I would get popups asking me if the program was allowed to be running (mirc.exe) or popups about other things (forget which). I just remember all the popups, that kept me from doing much of anything.

For keeping computers clean, of course Adaware SE Build 1.05 (current ver.) as well as SpyBoy Search & Destroy (Ver 1.3 I believe). Can't forget HiJackThis though. Its good at cleaning out hijacked homepages and other things. Also I use CWShredder as well. I had the chance to try out SpySweeper the other day. Looked nice, and kept active "sheilds" up. But its a pay software. Users start getting really aggravted with all the "Addedon costs" to using a computer. I feel the same way.
    Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Thread Information