Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhills
    • Mar 2004

Flat Panel LCD monitor helps eyeballs

I was having a lot of eye strain and even a bit of blurred vision cropping up on one eye. I'm often on a computer 10 plus hours a day.

Bought a 17" flat panel LCD monitor. What a relief. The eyes are much. I highly recommend these monitors for greatly reducing eye stress. The only problem is they actually saturate color too much, for photo editing. They photo look great, but are just a bit overdone, even after cutting contrast and brightness.
  • ChrisTech
    • Mar 2004

Did you have a normal CRT before, or did you have a flat screen crt ?

I'ved noticed that having the flat screen crt, helps out quite a bit. Im on a 21 inch hp p1120 here, and its quite nice. Had a 17 inch flat screen crt before that, which was nice as well. Although @ work, I have a normal old 17 inch monitor, which annoys me most of the day.
    Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Jonathan
      • Mar 2004

Is a flat panel CRT the same (except the flatness, of course)
      as a regular old' bulkly monitor?

I heard LCDs are bad on video games
      "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
      - C

Comment

• bhills
        • Mar 2004

I had a regular CRT monitor before, not a flat screen CRT. And I know that makes a difference.

But the LCD is still better on the eyes, in my opinion. One of the little tests I did was to put both a CRT and an LCD side by side. I wanted to compare color, because I do lots of photo editing and the LCDs are more rich with more saturated color. That makes them pretty to look at, but not as accurate for color reproduction. But the interesting thing was that when both LCD and CRT were side by side, then I noticed the CRT flicker. Standing alone, that flicker wasn't noticeable at all. But side by side, you could pick it up. And that is one of the things that causes the eye strain.

Comment

• Pedja
          • Mar 2004

For the price of the LCD you can buy CRT of the same size that also fulfills health requirements.

Comment

• anguz
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Pedja
            For the price of the LCD you can buy CRT of the same size that also fulfills health requirements.
            But it'd also fulfill more desktop space.

Comment

• ThomasW
              • Mar 2004

Not to mention the heat a big CRT puts off, nice in the winter...of course here in Florida that is about a week.
              "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Comment

• ChrisTech
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                Not to mention the heat a big CRT puts off, nice in the winter...of course here in Florida that is about a week.
                Got 2 pcs in my room, a 17 and a 21 inch crt, my room is warmest in the house. And thats with one window even cracked open (about 1.5 inches for some cooler airflow. Its suppossed to snow this afternoon (1-2 inches). I bet when I get home from work, my room will still be nice and toasty! (granted monitors will be off durrning the day, but the warmth will stay)
                Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Pedja
                  • Mar 2004

Well I have four of then in the same room, ant they work all the time. Indeed, i do not need extra heting

Back to the monitors, for my work (web design and photography) LCD is not good solution. Indeed any LCD monitor is better for your eyes that cheap CRT.
                  I dod make a joke earlier, but it is true that people usualy compare expensive LCD with inexpensive CRT.

Comment

Working...