X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave
    • Mar 2004

PHP Script install

Hello again..

I have found a script that I wanted to install on one of my domains.. I got it installed but am still having various problems.. I have been lurking like crazy over at thier support fourms.. And have tried many different things..

Here is where it is:

This does not work
    http://dufus.us/links/directory/ It is spposed to according to thier fourms.

Now I can add or import catagories from dmoz but then if you click on a catagory name you get a 404 error...

Here is where I found the script

Here is the support forum

I tried all of the .htaccess tricks but only the one I have now seems to work.

I changed the file permissions and it wouldn't work at all and I submitted a trouble ticket that andrew replied to. He told me not to use the 777chmod settings as that doesn't work. He was right...

All I want to do is have a free directory for folks out here in OKlahoma or something.. I liked that one because it doesn't use scripted links which helps with the search engine stuff..

Anybody know a good one that works?

Thanks
    Dave
    Sorry I gave up blogging for web design.
  • james
    • Mar 2004

Can you post the contents of your .htaccess file?

James

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

With this URL:

I get this error message:
      No input file specified.

With this URL:

I get your "Niche Website Directory".

Comment

• Dave
        • Mar 2004

Yes that is the case with firefox. And with IE you get the 404 error.. And if you try and browse one of the catagories you get the same..

The adminstration panel (backend) works fine however.. It seems like everything will be working great I just can't browse the catagories.

I am going to goof around with it some more tonight I guess..

I have tried a couple of htaccess.. This is what the file has now..

Code:
        #lmasetting 
        <files directory> 
        SetHandler application/x-httpd-php 
        </files> 
        #lmasettingend
        I tried another and I couldn't access the page at all..

Thanks!
        Dave

Comment

• james
          • Mar 2004

Is there any option in the script that enables search engine safe urls?

If so, try disabling it.

I've got the exact same problem with oscommerce, and if I disable that option it works fine.

Comment

• Dave
            • Mar 2004

Nope.. Don't see one... hmmm?? I played around with it. It will make adminstration changes but just won't let me browse to any other pages..

I just posted on their support fourms... I'm sure they will ask who I am hosting with... I don't really want to give away my hosting secret you know?

When it comes to dathorn I can keep a secret pretty good... It took me forever to find a decent host at a decent price.. I'll let those guys keep looking...

Comment

• sdjl
              • Mar 2004

Can you post the entire contents of your .htaccess file?
              I'm sure the problem relates to that

It may also be worth noting that your error log may show why it's going wrong.
              The 404 probably pertains to an incorrectly setup .htaccess file which is looking for files that aren't there.

David
              -----
              Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• Dave
                • Mar 2004

Code:
                #lmasetting 
                <files directory> 
                SetHandler application/x-httpd-php 
                </files> 
                #lmasettingend
                That's it... I simply cut and paste it to a text file and replaced the one that was there before.. This was suggested from the support forums.

Here are a few of the error logs..

Code:
                [2004-12-10 02:53:29]: error: file has no execute permission: (/home/dufus7/public_html/links/directory)
                [2004-12-10 02:53:23]: error: file has no execute permission: (/home/dufus7/public_html/links/directory)
                [2004-12-10 02:53:13]: error: file has no execute permission: (/home/dufus7/public_html/links/directory)
                [Fri Dec 10 09:52:20 2004] [error] [client 66.139.43.51] File does not exist: /home/dufus7/public_html/404.shtml
                [Fri Dec 10 09:52:20 2004] [error] [client 66.139.43.51] File does not exist: /home/dufus7/public_html/favicon.ico
                [Fri Dec 10 09:52:19 2004] [error] [client 66.139.43.51] File does not exist: /home/dufus7/public_html/404.shtml
                [Fri Dec 10 09:52:19 2004] [error] [client 66.139.43.51] script not found or unable to stat: /home/dufus7/public_html/directory
                [Fri Dec 10 07:13:27 2004] [error] [client 213.180.60.158] File does not exist: /home/dufus7/public_html/404.shtml
                I must really want this script to work.. Normally I would have given up a long time ago and tried something else. But it seems I'm obsessed..

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Dave
                  Yes that is the case with firefox. And with IE you get the 404 error.. And if you try and browse one of the catagories you get the same..
                  Well, those were the error messages I was getting with IE. Make sure you're "clearing the cache" in IE by using Tools*Internet Options and clicking "Delete Files" on the "General" tab. Then, close and re-open IE ... I always seem to get caching errors with IE, and deleting the files doesn't always seem to work.

Make sure your paths are correct. The URLs are case senstive in respect folder names so "/directory/Teams" is not the same as "/directory/teams".

Comment

• Dave
                    • Mar 2004

The pages and paths are all generated on the fly by the script. Or they are supposed to be... Everything else seems to be working fine.. It just won't generate the pages..

Comment

• sdjl
                      • Mar 2004

Did you mention in the support forums that PHPSuExec is running?
                      I have a feeling that could be your problem.

David
                      -----

Comment

• Dave
                        • Mar 2004

Yep.. Thats the problem
                        There seems to be no workaround.. Or the ones they suggest didn't work.. Oh well I guess I'll try a different one...

Thanks for all the help

Comment

• sdjl
                          • Mar 2004

You could, in theory do this instead..

Change the directory file to directory.php and then use this in .htacces:

Code:

RewriteEngine On 
                          RewriteRule ^directory/?(.*)?$ directory.php
                          However, this may require changes in the actual directory file as i'm not too sure how they were getting the information through the URL.

David
                          -----

Comment

• Dave
                            • Mar 2004

Tried it... Nope..

I found another one that works good however and installed it on another domain. It is similare without all of the extra features..

I am still tweaking it some but it works great!

Thanks again...

-Dave

Comment

Working...