Can i use EzPublish on Dathorn?

Best Regards
    Jack
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

It may work, at least in terms of these specs:

Originally posted by EzPublish
    Required software
    A database, currently supported are: MySQL version 3.23 or later, and PostgreSQL version 7.3 or later.
    Apache 1.3 or 2*, or another web server with PHP support.
    Apache modules, at least mod_php.
    PHP 4 version 4.3.4 or later, with the pcre extension enabled. eZ publish does not work with PHP 5.
    ImageMagick and/or GD compiled in PHP for image conversion (not required)
    The mbstring extension to PHP is highly recommended for users of other languages than English.

From eZ publish 3.5 it is also beneficial to have domxml extension installed (--with-dom), this will speed up performance in some cases.

A PHP accelerator is highly recommended for a performance boost. Accelerators known to work well with eZ publish include Turck mmCache, Zend Accelerator (ZPS) and APC.

*) We recommend a non-threaded web server as there might be problems related to PHP and PHP extensions in threaded setups. If you can choose between Apache 1.3 and Apache 2, we recommend Apache 1.3 as PHP on that server is the most stable and mature. If Apache 1.3 is not an option, make sure to use the "prefork" version of Apache 2, not the "worker" version.
    But what concerns me is this note on their web page:
    Originally posted by EzPublish
    The installation requires about 50 MB on your harddisc. We do recommend some minimum values; at least 500 MHz CPU and 250 MB of RAM.
    Based on that, I think you'll run into server resource issues with this program. Unless Andrew chimes in here, I would send him an email with the specs above in it and see what he says. I suspect the answer is "no", but he would be able to tell you for sure.

Comment

• ThomasW
      • Mar 2004

I gave EZ a whirl about a year ago, I am sure it has improved, but at the time it would not run very well on the servers here, never would install quite right.

Yes, it is a big resource hog, if you become even slightly bizzy you will need to get a dedicated server or a VPS.
      "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Comment

• HOSTropic
        • Mar 2004

I've been trying a few different CMS's lately and ezPublish was one. It is huge and didn't seem to work all that well for me. I canned it after a couple of tries with it.
        I've finally settled on Drupal. Nice combination of features, ease of customization and includes a contibuted shopping cart module, albeit a simple one. It has a small core and is written very efficiently. You can get a look at Drupal and others at http://www.opensourcecms.com if you haven't already looked there. It's a free review site for CMS applications.
        Hope this is helpful.
        Ron

Comment

• SeanCustomer
          • Jun 2006

I wanted to add an update to this thread. eZ Publish installs just fine on Dathorn these days. It still requires PHP4 and does not (officially) run on PHP5.

I am curious if Dathorn has any preferences regarding eZ Publish, as in requiring a particular kind of account to run it. Is okay for any account to use it or do you ask that only certain kinds of accounts (such as the VPS or dedicated) use eZ Publish?

I intend to use it, but certainly don't want to cause a problem.

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

We do not have any restrictions set in stone for this particular script. The general rule of thumb is that we will not allow a single domain to impact server performance for others but that is about all I can tell you regarding this.

Comment

• mIDO
              • Mar 2004

how have you installed ezpublish?

I'm triying to do that but i get an error 500 when try to start installing throught the web setup wizard.

thanks

Comment

Working...