Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bond007
    • Dec 2004

Competition among webhosts, including this one

This is the year 2005 and I have found that web hosting prices have gone down a lot.

When I look at dathorn, I find that its prices are expensive. It is true that you have good support, but there are companies out there that provide the same type of support with 30-40% less expensive.

So when will dathorn lower the price? You have to keep up with the competition or you will lose in the long run.
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

Heck I've just been hoping Andrew doesn't raise prices. Maybe I'm just feeling guilty about some of the stupid a$$ TT's I've submitted over the years.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Dan
      • Mar 2004

Being one that uses a nick like Bond007 you should know...you get what you pay for.

Comment

• Jonathan
        • Mar 2004

Personally I think for the amount of space and bandwidth,
        and all the odds and ends alone is worth $10 or so.

The fact only $2.99 or whichever brings you great
        support, reseller ability, cPanel, etc. ~ Excellent

Most hosts who have this much and is not a reseller
        usually are overselling and should be ignored, IMHO.
        "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
        - C

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Don't hold your breath waiting on our prices to drop. It's just not going to happen any time soon. A lot of the other hosts haven't been around for anywhere close to 3 years let alone handle the volume of customers that we do. This company is not run based on what competitors choose to do, and it never will be.

Comment

• sdjl
            • Mar 2004

I have no issues with paying the price i do for hosting from Dathorn.
            I do howver have issues with people trying to get things done based on spurious information..

David - Just another customer
            -----
            Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• Bond007
              • Dec 2004

Well, most of the people that like the price are old timers that have been with dathorn for a long time. I am also with dathorn from the beginning (even earlier than some of you) but I look at the change in time.

Sure, most old timers are satisfied with this webhost because they don't want to spend the time to move else where even if those places offer cheaper rates. They also think of stability because they are worry that other cheaper hosts have not last that long and may not be trustworthy.

But I am talking about getting new customers. New customers are looking for hosts and if they see that the price is more expensive, they may go elsewhere.

Web hosting price must go down....and never go up. It is like the price of computers, they must go down...due to more competion and better advancement. Also, not to mention that bandwidth are getting cheaper, disk space are getting more abundant and cheaper...etc....

But then again, it is all up the Andrew. If you don't like the price, then go to another host...right? If Andrew are satisfied with his business model, then so be it.

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
                This company is not run based on what competitors choose to do, and it never will be.
                And that's why I decided on Dathorn, instead of the "competitors".
                - C

Comment

• Grunfeld
                  • Mar 2004

Having been with other hosts that were cheaper and more expensive, I am happy that Dathorn's pricing is where it's at. We are all in this together and if you run a less expensive service in a shared world other people will suffer from people draining resources as you will need more cusotmers per server to generate a profit.

I think the price here is a great and fair value for the quality and service level we get. Actually IMO it's a heck of a bargin in my opinion... Then again I prefer to pay more for something as it's not a money thing all the time to me.

Cheers,
                  Cheers,

Gary
                  (This space for rent)

Comment

• bjacobs
                    • Mar 2004

I think that the service I get is well worth the money that I spend. I myself have had no complaints with Dathorn at any time. They treat me like they want to keep my business.

Thanks Andrew for your service!

Comment

• Buddha
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Bond007
                      Sure, most old timers are satisfied with this webhost because they don't want to spend the time to move else where even if those places offer cheaper rates. They also think of stability because they are worry that other cheaper hosts have not last that long and may not be trustworthy.
                      Personally, I already have a backup account at another host just in case something happens at Dathorn to tick off my client. It's not a matter of money or time. If the client says move it ... I move it and send him a bill. Could move the client's site in about 10-20 minutes without much interruption to the site. This is more than good enough according to my client. Moved him 4 times before Dathorn. I'm happy here because the client is happy here.

I hope Andrew keeps this going forever and wish him only the best of luck. Not that he needs any luck because he knows what he's doing! However, I have to plan for the worse which means having a backup account ready and maintaining a local copy of the site and the database. The client pays for the accounts and all my hard work. Moving him just means more beer and pizza money to me.

<-- NOTICE BIG GRIN! Hard work ... hehe ... sure beats 9 to 5!
                      "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• ChrisTech
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Bond007
                        This is the year 2005 and I have found that web hosting prices have gone down a lot.

When I look at dathorn, I find that its prices are expensive. It is true that you have good support, but there are companies out there that provide the same type of support with 30-40% less expensive.

So when will dathorn lower the price? You have to keep up with the competition or you will lose in the long run.
                        Less than $0.50 a gig is expensive? I've been here almost 2 years, and to jump ship for like $6 less per month, is just about stupid from what I see.

Dathron has been stable for me. I'd stay even if their prices went up. I have 2 reseller accounts here, as well as my own dedicated server (with ServerMatrix/ThePlanet)

If price really is your selling point, then try another company, be my guest, but I'm fairly sure you will be back to the solid uptimes here @ Dathorn.
                        Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• halyfax
                          • Mar 2004

buddah, in an emergency how do you switch a domain that fast? IF your dathorn site gets offline for whatever reason how do you switch it to another account that fast? If you can't access Dathorn and use a redirect and your nameservers take longer than 20mins to take effect?

p.

Comment

• sdjl
                            • Mar 2004

You can change the DNS within 5 minutes if you use a DNS service like EasyDNS
                            I have found though, that it can take up to three hours for it to propogate across the internet.
                            Still, three hours isn't too bad compaired to 24-48 if you do it at the registrar level

David
                            -----
                            Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• Jonathan
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
                              Moving him just means more beer and pizza money to me.
                              May I suggest that one pizza by whats'em-faces you can
                              get in your local store ~ a oven brick square pizza They are THE BEST!
                              - C

Comment

Working...