X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePhantom
    • Sep 2004

Installing osCommerce - Need Database Server name

Hi
    I've very limited experience installing mySQL databases and no recent experience hence a new learning curve (with components of deja vu).

Anyway, I am trying to install osCommerce and can get up the install screens to the point where I get the following screen:

I can answer all the questions on the page EXCEPT the first one being the Database Server name.

I've searched and searched this forum (and the web) without any luck.

Can anyone help me please?

Regards
    ThePhantom
  • Amitabh
    • Mar 2004

just put in localhost in the server name. It should work.

Comment

• Amitabh
      • Mar 2004

Also make sure that you don't check the "Persistent Connections" check box.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
        • Mar 2004

On our shared servers, your "username" will take the format of:

dathornusername_dbusername

Where "dathornusername" is the username for your account on the server (i.e., the username you use to log in to your Cpanel account). "dbusername" is the username you used when setting up the database in Cpanel's mySQL Database function.

If you installed OSCommerce from within Cpanel using the auto-install scripts, you already have a database named something like OSC1. If you are installing OSCommerce "raw", without using Cpanel, you need to create an empty database first by using Cpanel's mySQL fuction.

In any case, then the database name becomes dathornusername_OSC1, where "dathornusername" is your Cpanel login username, and "OSC1" is the database.

Comment

• ThePhantom
          • Sep 2004

Righteo everyone... thanks for that. I had tried localhost and got an error but Frank's given the right solution to my next problem. It seems my database username and database name needed to be preceded by my cpanel login name followed by an underscore. Now onto the next bits. Fingers crossed everyone.
          Cheers
          ThePhantom

Comment

Working...