Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

Where are the Hardware Gurus?

I've done it now. Bought a computer case. Couldn't resist $30.00 for a Chieftec Full Tower Dragon. Now I guess I have no choice... got to put together a new computer.

So where do I find the parts? Got any favorite sites? Surplus sites? Trusted sources? Advice?
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

I've always been a fan of pricewatch.com

Comment

• Jonathan
      • Mar 2004

No one beats NewEgg.com MHO I got some nice
      Viking 512MB DDR PC2100 (I kno, not much LOL) for only like $65 ish I think.
      "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
      - C

Comment

• LVZ
        • Mar 2004

Yup, newegg.com beats the rest on almost everything - price, user reviews, selection, speed of shipping, and after-sale responsiveness if there are any problems.

Las Vegas Neighborhood Message Boards
        http://www.myLVN.com
        subframed at http://vegas215.com/forums

Comment

• Andy
          • Mar 2004

I am in Canada and like NCIX.com. They have awesome deals for us canucks. They also have pricing for in USD as well. But ,I have no idea if the USD prices are good but you can check it out and compare.

Andy

Comment

• Dan
            • Mar 2004

I built my current machine almost solely from parts purchased on EBay.

Just be sure that the seller has lots of positive feedback and you should be ok

Comment

• ChrisTech
              • Mar 2004

I always use www.newegg.com Never had a bad part from them yet. Their shipping prices are always good. They use Fedex so you know your parts are in good hands. (DHL has twice not been able to find the correct address, and thus resulted in parts being delivered up to two weeks late (Both Fedex & UPS can find it))
              Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Buddha
                • Mar 2004

Wow thanks for all the replies. I bookmarked PriceWatch, Newegg and even NCIX.com ... prices don't look that bad Andy either. I'll keep an eye on eBay too.

My case has shipped according to TigerDirect (crossing fingers) and is coming UPS which I hope won't be a problem. Doubt it ... UPS delieves to me about every month - prescriptions.

As I start planning this ... my biggest concern is heat. Looks like 64bit is going to be standard soon if it ain't already. Since I don't have or rather use A/C, I think I'm better off avoiding 64bit. Already thinking about popping an extra hole in the top of the case for another 92mm fan. 8 fans ... should sound something like a jet engine? Fans are going to cost more than the case did, especially if I use two 92mm UFOs.

Any advice on heat issues? Tips? Tricks? Cooking tips ... I remember from the old board someone frying eggs on their CPU?
                "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• openbox
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
                  Any advice on heat issues? Tips? Tricks? Cooking tips ... I remember from the old board someone frying eggs on their CPU?
                  Get a really good heatsink, some high quality silver thermal paste, and a couple of high quality fans (one for intake and one for exhaust) and you should be good to go. I've built 20+ computers in all kinds of cases for all kinds of purposes, and I've never had one overheat yet...even in an 85+ degree ambient environment with a 1U rackmount case.

Comment

• Buddha
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by openbox
                    Get a really good heatsink, some high quality silver thermal paste, and a couple of high quality fans (one for intake and one for exhaust) and you should be good to go. I've built 20+ computers in all kinds of cases for all kinds of purposes, and I've never had one overheat yet...even in an 85+ degree ambient environment with a 1U rackmount case.
                    I'm looking at about 95+ degrees in August ... at night. I was just looking at heatsinks too. Was just considering a ZALMAN Model CNPS7700-CU which seems to give some good results.

Comment

• Nitron
                      • Apr 2004

www.newegg.com hands down.
                      Z Force Network

Comment

• Buddha
                        • Mar 2004

Slap Happy!

UPDATE: Case arrived today at about 6:30pm and I spent the last 2 hours going over every inch of it. Why? That's because the box arrived opened! However, I'm happy to report it's in perfect condition. Not a scratch. For $30 bucks? I'm slap happy.

On a side note: My cat is very happy too. He loves his new box... that is the big cardboard box my box came in.

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Mar 2004

UPDATE: Case arrived today at about 6:30pm and I spent the last 2 hours going over every inch of it. Why? That's because the box arrived opened! However, I'm happy to report it's in perfect condition. Not a scratch. For $30 bucks? I'm slap happy.

On a side note: My cat is very happy too. He loves his new box... that is the big cardboard box my box came in.
                          You mean the case wasn't for the cat? How rude LOL
                          "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
                          - C

Comment

• ChrisTech
                            • Mar 2004

I'm looking at about 95+ degrees in August ... at night. I was just looking at heatsinks too. Was just considering a ZALMAN Model CNPS7700-CU which seems to give some good results.
                            WOW, that thing is HUGE. I personally like ThermalTake's Volcanos

On my XP2400+ proc I have a Volcano 9 Cool Mod that I got @ a LAN party. Has a fan bus with it and a rheostat for adjusting the fan speed (approx 2500 - 5500 RPM) I leave mine around 2900 usually and it sits around 34 - 38C (mobo temp is 29C)
                            Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

Working...