X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barnkim
    • Jan 2005

a few questions

Hi,
    I'm new to the site and hosting webpages and had a couple of questions.

1. Can I register a domain through you guys? I didn't see anything, but who would you recommend?

2. I usually change computers and IP's a bit. Can I still access my account from any computer to make updates or upload pages.

~barnkim
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by barnkim
    Hi,

1. Can I register a domain through you guys? I didn't see anything, but who would you recommend?

2. I usually change computers and IP's a bit. Can I still access my account from any computer to make updates or upload pages.

~barnkim

1. No, we do not offer domain registration - there are many good places to do so. Personally I use 000domains.com and godaddy.com.

2. Absolutely.

Comment

• barnkim
      • Jan 2005

thank you.

Comment

• Jonathan
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by barnkim
        Hi,

~barnkim
        I 2nd GoDaddy.com, I've never had any problems with them.
        "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
        - C

Comment

• Buddha
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
          I 2nd GoDaddy.com, I've never had any problems with them.
          I like GoDaddy.com and there are instructions for custom name servers here somewhere in the FAQ. I think ...
          "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
            I like GoDaddy.com and there are instructions for custom name servers here somewhere in the FAQ. I think ...
            To Create Custom Nameservers: This will show you how to create custom Nameservers in GoDaddy. After you login click Manage Domains. Click on one of the domain names listed, in the image we click on oztheory.com It will load a new pane on the right side of the screen. Click the plus on the lowest option in that
            "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
            - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
              • Mar 2004

GoDaddy is fine ... they give you control and don't hassle you if you want to transfer the name. And its hard to beat the price. But I hate having to wade through all the ads and offers to register a name! And they are selling "instant websites" now, so I hesitate to send my customers there.

I finally signed up for a resellers account with DirectI, mainly to manage my own domains. When I purchased whois.cart for $35, DirectI had a promotion to include a reseller account with domain names costing just under what GoDaddy charges. You have to deposit $75 or so in the account to start, but I go through that pretty quickly, and I control what the customer sees when they register a domain name.

Comment

• sdjl
                • Mar 2004

And for those UK customers, ukreg.com
                -----
                Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• Pedja
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
                  I finally signed up for a resellers account with DirectI, mainly to manage my own domains.
                  I am considering DicrectI too, for the same reason. I see it as possibility to cut expences since I have lots of domains in use. One thing is uncler for me, are they providing means to charge for domain registration or I have to do it independently?

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                    • Mar 2004

DirectI does have "payment gateways" to most of the common third party credit card processors, including PayPal.

Their system is a little clunky for me, but only because I don't have an automated response system. A purchase creates an account, and the customer's order creates an invoice in that account. When payment goes through, I have to go in and assign the funds to that account and then process the invoice. If you set it up with a credit card processor, you can have these steps automated. But I haven't bothered with that, as the few registrations I get are just for my hosting customers, and its mainly a convenience item for them.

The DirectI forums are at http://forums.webhosting.info/ so you can read the comments from their resellers there in the DNS forum.

Comment

Working...