Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesignURL
    • May 2004

Dedicated Server Advice

I have three accounts here and really enjoy the service. Having used many hosting companies since 1997, I've been here the longest (1.5 years) and plan to continue because of the service. Sure, I could probably find cheaper, but when something goes wrong, I've been able to get a real live answer, even at 10:00 pm on a Sunday night.

I normally lurk here every now and then. I take in a lot. One thing I see resoundingly is that if you have a site earning considerable revenue, you should consider a dedicated host. I have a client that is earning $2k per day. Yes, $2000 per day, selling their software. There have been a few "blips" over the past 4-6 months where the server might be down, offline, etc for a few hours. And my phone rings almost immediately when it happens.

I've explained to him that this is expected, that it is impossible to not have something go wrong at some point in time. I've explained that given that, with Dathorn, at least I can get an answer in minutes (day or night) and usally a fix in as little time.

However, because there is so much money being generated, he wants to investigate a dedicated server. We both realize that at any time, someone's site on our host could undergo a DDoS and taken things out. He would rather pay for a managed, dedicated server (and I don't blame him at all), as one quarter of a day of sales would easily cover that.

With the background on that, I'm now left to find a dedicated hosting solution. I searched here to see if Andrew is offering a dedicated plan. The last topic I saw was from April of last year saying it wasn't in the immediate plans, wanted to perfect one thing at a time.

Is there any near term (next few months) plan to offer managed dedicated servers? I'm less concerned with the cost and absolutely concerned with the service. I think the service at Dathorn is great, and the thought of having to find another vendor besides Dathorn, for a dedicated server, is not something I look forward to. But it's time to do it, as this company is growing. There is no resource issue, and the bandwidth used monthly is moderate. The only issue is, with it generating so much revenue per day, any outage at all is a real loss in sales revenue.

If Dathorn doesn't plan to offer this, would appreciate any PMs regarding where I can find a good managed dedicated plan where the support is good. The keyword here is support, which is why I'd rather pay more for a solution here, than somewhere I don't know. We will be leaving the one accout he uses here, as a backup plan, so we can easily switch from one server to another if there is a problem.

Would appreciate PMs, as I think it would be disrespectful to post other competing services/companies in the forum here.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

I've actually been ironing out some final details to prepare for our offering of dedicated servers. These should be available very soon, like within the next week or so. These will not be the cheapest out there but they will not be ridiculously expensive either. Pricing can also be adjusted by choosing various levels of management.

Comment

• DesignURL
      • May 2004

This is wonderful news! Will there be a "managed" offering? I do not have the skills, nor do I have the time to learn, to manage a server. Ideally, I'm hoping it can be similar to the reseller accounts now, where everything is managed through a control panel.

Look forward to learning more about your offering, thanks Andrew!

Comment

• halyfax
        • Mar 2004

excellent news. will there also be VPS options?

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DesignURL
          Will there be a "managed" offering?
          Yes.

Pricing can also be adjusted by choosing various levels of management.

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by halyfax
            excellent news. will there also be VPS options?
            There are no plans to offer VPS services at this time, currently with the pricing on software like Virtuozzo and individual cPanel licenses per VPS it's not very worthwhile for us to offer it.

Comment

• Buddha
              • Mar 2004

... dedicated servers. These should be available very soon, like within the next week or so.
              Cool!!

... undergo a DDoS
              Dedicated server alone won't prevent DDoS attacks. Since your client is willing to open his wallet might as well prepare for the possible eventuality of such an attack. Especially since DDoS attacks directed against businesses can involve extortion and theft. Prepare for the worse and know what to do if it happens.
              "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

As far as (D)DoS protection goes, The Planet offers some of the best solutions available which can be activiated whenever needed. This service is generally just a minimal fee per IP address. We have this on all (nearly 750) of our IP addresses and it has been able to stop several attacks that were >100Mbps.

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

Since you mentioned this, I began working on it a bit more this morning. Due to hardware availability issues we will not be able to begin offering our dedicated servers for another 2-3 weeks.

Contrary to my previous statement, I also will have a bit of information on possibly offering VPS solutions shortly.

Comment

• DesignURL
                    • May 2004

Thanks for the update. No problem on the time frame (for me). We're looking at the next month or two to start working on this.

This is just too great, I'm really glad you will be offering a solution!

Comment

• halyfax
                      • Mar 2004

the news just keeps getting better. Same deal with me on the time frame, as long as it is on your list of things to do I am happy!

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

VPS information can be found in this new thread: http://forums.dathorn.com/showthread.php?t=1396

Comment

• halyfax
                          • Mar 2004

andrew do you have any idea of specs and costs of a dedicated server at Dathorn?

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

Sorry, I cannot provide any information at this time.

Comment

• w3it
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by AndrewT
                              Sorry, I cannot provide any information at this time.
                              Hi Andrew, how about at this time?
                              Thanks
                              Ian

Comment

Working...