Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
    I'm afraid we're actually dropping the idea of offering them at this point. I've been working even more with Virtuozzo over this past week and I just do not feel comfortable offering VPS services with that software as it is right now. Instead, what we're going to try and focus on is getting our dedicated server plans rolled out.
    Just out of curiosity, did you consider using User Mode Linux (UML)? If so what made you chose Virtuozzo over UML?

Sorry to hear this didn't work out but glad your keeping your high standards.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

UML was not even considered. To truly offer something based on UML would require a significantly longer development period than I wish to commit to it. It lacks the general ease of use that Virtuozzo has with the control panels and windows based administration software. But to be honest, I've not kept up with UML that much.

Comment

• felipe808
        • Mar 2004

Please explain

I'm afraid we're actually dropping the idea of offering them at this point. I've been working even more with Virtuozzo over this past week and I just do not feel comfortable offering VPS services with that software as it is right now. Instead, what we're going to try and focus on is getting our dedicated server plans rolled out. If it's bandwidth or disk space you're wanting, we will also be holding a 1 week special for existing customers very soon (which will be posted in the announcements forum).

I clearly did not intend to mislead anyone here but I honestly cannot offer these VPS services through Virtuozzo and be able to sleep at night. I sincerely apologize to those that have waited around for these services.

This thread will remain open for any questions you might have, but I'm now going to unsticky it.
        \
        I'm curious, not that I at all certain that I will understand it, but could you elaborate on Virtuozzo and whay it is deficient. It is an intriguing concept. I presume you tested it and it did not perform as advertized. Specifics...just out of curiosity. What doesn't work?

I don't put much demand on the server I'm on so it's not something I need...however, to have a dedicated server, virtual or not, is appealing for the presumed better uptime and less conflict.

Anyway, great work Andrew.

Comment

• Yaroslav
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by felipe808
          \
          I'm curious, not that I at all certain that I will understand it, but could you elaborate on Virtuozzo and whay it is deficient. It is an intriguing concept. I presume you tested it and it did not perform as advertized. Specifics...just out of curiosity. What doesn't work?

I don't put much demand on the server I'm on so it's not something I need...however, to have a dedicated server, virtual or not, is appealing for the presumed better uptime and less conflict.

JMHO: better uptime and less conflict are not what you should await from a VPS; never will it be so stable and reliable as fully-managed shared service. Instead, you get a much wider range of possibilities, are more flexible; besides, you're strictly limited in resources and inside that limit you can do whatever you want.

It's like a cellphone and a PDA. Never will PDA be as reliable in voice-over-GSM as a good old Nokia 6310, but consider all those other features you get...

Comment

• Yaroslav
            • Mar 2004

Overall: it seems a little strange to me... There are hundreds of rock-stable VPS providers, and AFAIK most of them use Virtuozzo. Why don't they get stuck with same problems? why can they work and deliver?

No criticizing, just wondering what's the reason of this. Maybe Dathorn has some non-typical requirements to VPS software?

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by felipe808
              \

I came across numerous bugs and little quircks here and there. Which is not something that I would expect out of a piece of software that is relatively expensive to license. The iptables/firewall implementations are severely lacking and under certain circumstances I was able to bring down an entire hardware node from within a single VPS with a bad firewall. Reproducing this was actually very random though which was unfortunate. Overall the general benefit of having a VPS was not something that I could justify given the circumstances.

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Yaroslav
                JMHO: better uptime and less conflict are not what you should await from a VPS; never will it be so stable and reliable as fully-managed shared service. Instead, you get a much wider range of possibilities, are more flexible; besides, you're strictly limited in resources and inside that limit you can do whatever you want.

It's like a cellphone and a PDA. Never will PDA be as reliable in voice-over-GSM as a good old Nokia 6310, but consider all those other features you get...
                I do not agree with that. I will never offer a service that will not perform reliably as it is intended. With many more features there is an even greater need for the systems to run reliably otherwise many more problems will be present.

Other hosts do use Virtuozzo, that is their choice, not mine. Overall I was not satisfied with the software and will not use it.

Comment

• Yaroslav
                  • Mar 2004

I do not agree with that. I will never offer a service that will not perform reliably as it is intended. With many more features there is an even greater need for the systems to run reliably otherwise many more problems will be present.

Other hosts do use Virtuozzo, that is their choice, not mine. Overall I was not satisfied with the software and will not use it.
                  I probably failed to clearly state my thought, sorry. I meant not that the VPS itself is unstable, but that having broader control over applications you (a customer) have more opportunities to screw something up It's hard to bring down a shared account by misuse. So IMHO, generally the customer who upgrades from shared to VPS (I assume he's not a hardcore Linux guru) can expect some degradation of uptime and stability, at least at start.

Comment

• NyCwill
                    • Aug 2004

I might be interested in the VPS service but I want to knowis vps with 128 ram good for running a forums with 40 concurrent user?.

Comment

• AndrewT
                      Administrator
                      • Mar 2004

VPS possibilities were dropped a while ago, this will not be something that we offer in the near future.

Comment

Working...