Possible VPS Services

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djn
    • Mar 2004

The more I read this thread, the wider my smile.
    Would this allow us to compile and run our own servers on that slice (I'm thinking stuff like PHP 5 and MySQL 4.1, which would truly save my day for some stuff I've been asked to code).

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by djn
      The more I read this thread, the wider my smile.
      Would this allow us to compile and run our own servers on that slice (I'm thinking stuff like PHP 5 and MySQL 4.1, which would truly save my day for some stuff I've been asked to code).
      Yes, you can use whatever version of PHP and MySQL you like.

Comment

• djn
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
        Yes, you can use whatever version of PHP and MySQL you like.
        Great. You're in for free beer should you ever come this side of the Atlantic!

... leaving behind a trail of tears for all the time and patience lost before finding Dathorn ...

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

The VPS plans should be available sometime this week.

Comment

• Buddha
            • Mar 2004

Off topic but ... how's the dedicated servers thing coming?
            "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

It will probably be another 3-4 weeks before we're prepared to offer dedicated servers.

Comment

• Pedja
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
                That is almost the case. The one thing that you cannot control in a VPS environment is disk I/O of each VPS. For the CPU and RAM usage, you are correct though.
                Great. You may count on me to switch to new service. I have no intention to mess with customizing. I am satisfied with shared services I have now, but my only concern was suspending accounts for taking up too much resources and VPS would be relief. If my account makes some trouble it will affect only me and my customers, noone else.

Comment

• Yaroslav
                  • Mar 2004

Marvellous. As soon as this thing is available, I'm most probably in.

Comment

• Yaroslav
                    • Mar 2004

One more question... I think I saw you saying that we'll have our own firewall. Does it mean that I can disable that "auto-block-anyone-with-30-connections" feature? And even if I don't, and it will block someone, who's gonna be in control over the block list?

My main issue with Dathorn so far was people falling into block lists, so I just want to know how this situation is handled on VPS.

Oh, and yet one more Will there be a way to change cPanel/WHM's ports and/or overall behavior (I mean domain bindings, security level, etc.)? I need WHM/cPanel to be accessible via a solid firewall at my office, which won't allow connections to ports 2082, 2087, whatever.

Sorry if those are dumb Trying to clarify most things beforehand.

Comment

• AndrewT
                      Administrator
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Yaroslav
                      One more question... I think I saw you saying that we'll have our own firewall. Does it mean that I can disable that "auto-block-anyone-with-30-connections" feature? And even if I don't, and it will block someone, who's gonna be in control over the block list?

My main issue with Dathorn so far was people falling into block lists, so I just want to know how this situation is handled on VPS.

Oh, and yet one more Will there be a way to change cPanel/WHM's ports and/or overall behavior (I mean domain bindings, security level, etc.)? I need WHM/cPanel to be accessible via a solid firewall at my office, which won't allow connections to ports 2082, 2087, whatever.

Sorry if those are dumb Trying to clarify most things beforehand.
                      The auto-blocking was only implemented on some servers for a a matter of a few days. This is not a part of the firewall.

As for the cPanel/WHM ports, those cannot be changed. That is precisely how cPanel and WHM work.

Comment

• Yaroslav
                        • Mar 2004

Thanks. As to the questions - appetite comes during a meal In case you're busy - don't bother responding right now, I'm absolutely patient on these matters.

So...

- What's does that "firewall" look like at all? As soon as I'll have shell, will I be able to drill down to iptables and do some magic there?

- Will I be able to access my /etc? Screw... eeeeh, modify my named.conf, apache configuration, etc?

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Yaroslav
                          Thanks. As to the questions - appetite comes during a meal In case you're busy - don't bother responding right now, I'm absolutely patient on these matters.

So...

- What's does that "firewall" look like at all? As soon as I'll have shell, will I be able to drill down to iptables and do some magic there?

- Will I be able to access my /etc? Screw... eeeeh, modify my named.conf, apache configuration, etc?
                          You have root access, you can do whatever you like. The firewall is just a version of APF which uses iptables.

Comment

• Yaroslav
                            • Mar 2004

Thanks. Now could you please shed some light over that 'burst' value of CPU power? What's considered 'burst' - "any time I'm not affecting others", or "just NN seconds, drop back to 200MHz afterwards"? That is, during a night, when noone is using a server, what's the power I'll get?

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

A certain block of resources are made available to all of the VPSs, the remaining are left for the system to ensure stability. If you are running a program that suddenly requires additional RAM or CPU usage it will give it to you if there is extra available. But this is an intelligent system and will recognize problems such as continual max RAM usage, infinite loop processes, etc. The bursting is there as a convenience, not to be abused.

Comment

• HOSTropic
                                • Mar 2004

Hi, Andrew,
                                Is there a procedure or sign up list to get in line for the VPS service?

Comment

Working...