Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andigator
    • Apr 2004

Account suspended 2

Last night, at 5am, our domain was taken offline with an incredibly embarassing suspension message. We weren't given notice or a warning, nor were we even aware that our boards were even an issue, really. The last three days of traffic have been abnormal...usually we run around 20 online. The last couple days, we've been averaging 60-100 active users (due to a big piece of news in our community). I know that's probably a drain, but considering that it IS so out of the ordinary, I'd just like an explanation as to why, and how we can get back up even for a short time. I'm posting this here because trouble tickets and PMs have yet gone unanswered. I'm not blaming Andrew, because perhaps he hasn't gotten the message. However, I'm near tears here, because this was the worst possible time, and we're in a really competitive spot. This could really hinder us. I was just wondering if there was ANYONE out there associated with Dathorn that could help us, because we have absolutely nowhere to turn outside help tickets that just aren't getting through.

We've paid the bill on time every single month. We aren't pests. I would just have loved to get a "Hey, tell your people to cheer down or we're going to take you off." Or even just a note saying that they did it! This was like having a car repossessed in the middle of the night. We'll go dedicated, but that's not helping us right now.

Devanie

• KyleC
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Andigator
    Last night, at 5am, our domain was taken offline with an incredibly embarassing suspension message. We weren't given notice or a warning, nor were we even aware that our boards were even an issue, really. The last three days of traffic have been abnormal...usually we run around 20 online. The last couple days, we've been averaging 60-100 active users (due to a big piece of news in our community). I know that's probably a drain, but considering that it IS so out of the ordinary, I'd just like an explanation as to why, and how we can get back up even for a short time. I'm posting this here because trouble tickets and PMs have yet gone unanswered. I'm not blaming Andrew, because perhaps he hasn't gotten the message. However, I'm near tears here, because this was the worst possible time, and we're in a really competitive spot. This could really hinder us. I was just wondering if there was ANYONE out there associated with Dathorn that could help us, because we have absolutely nowhere to turn outside help tickets that just aren't getting through.

We've paid the bill on time every single month. We aren't pests. I would just have loved to get a "Hey, tell your people to cheer down or we're going to take you off." Or even just a note saying that they did it! This was like having a car repossessed in the middle of the night. We'll go dedicated, but that's not helping us right now.

Devanie

www.yourtaxdollarsatwork.org

I am aware of your site, and it was a load on the server at normal times. You were almost always the TOP process on the server. you had allot of people on that board, and it was growing quickly, and i was afraid this was going to happen. Maybe if you put a limit on the number of active users allowed at once(i think ipb has this option), Andrew will let you reopen temporally.

I am not sure why Andrew isn't getting back to you, i will contact him.
    -Kyle

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Devanie

www.yourtaxdollarsatwork.org
      I do not see a single trouble ticket regarding your account.

Comment

• Andigator
        • Apr 2004

I've sent three! I don't know what's going on.

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

There are NO tickets regarding this.

Comment

• Andigator
            • Apr 2004

I've sent them, though. That would have been our first step after finding that suspension notice. I can try to submit one again right now, but would Kyle C's suggestion be feasible? (Thanks for the reply, Kyle). I feel like I'm in some kind of bizarro world here. We went from perfectly happy paying customers to being treated like refuse for something we knew nothing about. I respect the problem and apologize for it, but unless we knew that we were the top process, etc, how could we have taken steps to fix it?

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

I replied to your PM, this discussion does not belong on the forums. Please submit a trouble ticket.

Comment

• DomainDog
                • Mar 2004

Andigator, for reference purposes for the rest of us, may I ask what size account you are on?

The reason I'm asking is- if you are on a "Corporate Account" (6 gigs storage, 90 gigs BW) and still having this problem, then it sounds like running your type of board would be a problem here anyway.
                ** Custom Graphics **
                ** FLASH Animations **
                ** Specialty Domains **
                ** Website Design **

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

The type of plan wouldn't matter in this case. Supposedly it was a spike in traffic due to an announcement of some sort but there is no way that we will ever host such sites on any of our plans that we offer, it just cannot be done as when this occurred it more or less killed the server until I could get the account suspended.

Comment

• DomainDog
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
                    The type of plan wouldn't matter in this case. Supposedly it was a spike in traffic due to an announcement of some sort but there is no way that we will ever host such sites on any of our plans that we offer, it just cannot be done as when this occurred it more or less killed the server until I could get the account suspended.
                    So then it's not a matter of bandwidth or storage, but server time?

And should we then conclude that if a customer plans to install a forum, they have to go elsewhere?

I'm just looking for some guidance here, as I have two accounts that wish to install phpbb, and now I'm afraid to allow that. Where are the limits, and how are we supposed to know when we are approaching them?

I think this might benefit a lot of us.

DomainDog
                    ** Custom Graphics **
                    ** FLASH Animations **
                    ** Specialty Domains **
                    ** Website Design **

Comment

• KyleC
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DomainDog
                      So then it's not a matter of bandwidth or storage, but server time?

And should we then conclude that if a customer plans to install a forum, they have to go elsewhere?

I'm just looking for some guidance here, as I have two accounts that wish to install phpbb, and now I'm afraid to allow that. Where are the limits, and how are we supposed to know when we are approaching them?

I think this might benefit a lot of us.

DomainDog
                      100+ people on your forums at once places an unacceptable load on a shared server.
                      -Kyle

Comment

• DomainDog
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by KyleC
                        100+ people on your forums at once places an unacceptable load on a shared server.
                        Thanks Kyle!

So if we put a choke at 80 members online at one time, that should keep the load down to acceptable levels, correct?

Also, is that cumulative? Meaning 1 forum at 80, or 2 forums at 40 or 4 forums at 20? Or may multiple accounts have a forum with up to 80 people online?
                        ** Custom Graphics **
                        ** FLASH Animations **
                        ** Specialty Domains **
                        ** Website Design **

Comment

• KyleC
                          • Mar 2004

more like 30 per board per domain...

And i would use Robots.txt to protect your forums from spidering.
                          Last edited by KyleC; 04-04-2004, 04:25 PM.
                          -Kyle

Comment

• Andigator
                            • Apr 2004

Does anyone know a way to limit the users online with Invision Power Board? We have flood control where users can't post too closely together, but that isn't really the issue that needs to be solved. Thanks!

Comment

• KyleC
                              • Mar 2004

Does anyone know a way to limit the users online with Invision Power Board? We have flood control where users can't post too closely together, but that isn't really the issue that needs to be solved. Thanks!
                              ask here: http://forums.invisionpower.com/

i know their is an option like that in the admin of some forum software...just dont remeber which one i saw it in.
                              -Kyle

Comment

Working...