Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy
    • Mar 2004

Blog - any recommendations

I am interested in putting a blog on my personal site, (seems what the masses are using). Just so I can post notes/msgs on my site instead of editing the html file all the time. But I am one for simplicity. I would like something easy to put in place and something that I can embed into my exsisting website very easily. And of course. Easy to use. If anyone knows of any or can recommend something to me, that would be great.

thanks
    Andy
  • sdjl
    • Mar 2004

Wordpress is pretty standard to a lot of people now.
    It offers both complex and simple features. I don't use it myself however so you'll have to give it a try to find out what it offers

David
    -----
    Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• retro
      • Jun 2004

I use wordpress on several sites (I actually use it as a simple CMS more than for blogs). It has many plugins to add functionality plus a very active developer/support community should you run into any problems.

Installation takes but a few minutes. Customizing it is a snap once you learn the way it works, and the theme system is very simple to use should you choose to make your own (but there are now many pre-made themes available if you don't feel comfortable doing so). Good luck!
      Denny Cave
      http://www.retrointeractive.com

Comment

• russgri

CivicSpace

I use CivicSpace at CivicSpace
        This is the software that Howard Dean used to woo voters in the 2004 elections.
        It is GPL.
        You can set it up as a slashdot style community or as a political tool.
        you can set it up to allow any user to post when logged in or you can take a moderated approach. Very versatile.

see Sportsmen Afield

Comment

• DeNic
          • Aug 2004

I have used a lot of different blogging applications and have finally stuck with WordPress. Easy as heck to set up, easy as heck to use and the support community is awesome.

I have set up a few Movable Type blogs for work recently and if you are looking for something on a much larger scale then MT is your pick, but for personal or smaller blogs I would go with WP.

Comment

• Andy
            • Mar 2004

Thanks for your help guys. I sound something I can use.

openwar.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, openwar.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It works good, just time consuming to match into my site, but it works.'

Actually, I have question. My site uses .shtml file and this script is a php script. I have it in a iframe now, but is there another way? I dont think there is, but thought I would ask.

thanks again guys
            Andy

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2004

use a .htaccess file to make it phrase php under .shtml files
              then simply rename all the blog files over to ".shtml" etc.
              "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
              - C

Comment

• RI-VVM
                • Jul 2004

Look at http://blogger.com. You can create blog on Google's server or use your server.
                Redintek, http://redintek.com
                Design. Programming. Hosting

Comment

• deuce868
                  • Sep 2004

With all the bad press around Wordpress lately you might want to checkout Serendipity. I know it's popular with several blog planets I visit.

Serendipity is a PHP-powered weblog engine giving users an easy way to maintain a blog and developers a framework with the power for professional applications.

Of course the other option is just to install a full CMS like drupal or Mambo and use it to create a blog-type site/layout.

Comment

• sdjl
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by deuce868
                    With all the bad press around Wordpress...
                    What bad press?

David
                    -----
                    Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• blakekr
                      • Dec 2004

Add me to the list of people that love Wordpress. I'm using it going forward on all my sites.

Comment

• Fran
                        • Apr 2004

Text Pattern

Originally posted by blakekr
                        Add me to the list of people that love Wordpress. I'm using it going forward on all my sites.
                        Seems most are using Wordpress. Anyone have experience with Text Pattern?

Thanks,

- Fran

Comment

• retro
                          • Jun 2004

Fran,
                          I've worked with Textpattern a little, too. I converted a WordPress site to it because it looked interesting at first and I thought it was going to provide me with more options for the site I was working on... and it did, but customizing it just seemed far more difficult than WordPress. I think textpattern is a good alternative, but WordPress is still king.
                          Denny Cave
                          http://www.retrointeractive.com

Comment

• Fran
                            • Apr 2004

There's a new book 'Blog Design Solutions' that has a great recommendation for a software package called "Expression Engine". Anyone have any experience with this software?

Thanks,

- Fran

Comment

• Fran
                              • Apr 2004

In cPanel's options, there is also a pMachine blog/CMS. This is made by the same people who do Expression Engine. Has anyone worked with pMachine?

Thanks,

- Fran

Comment

Working...