• Show
Clear All
  • Pedja
    • Mar 2004

Customizing DNS zone now possible

Is seems new version of Cpanel introduced option often asked

In WHM, check under DNS Functions there is new option

Edit Zone Templates

This allows you to set template for newly created DNS zones. Now you can set them to use your custom ns domains and everything else.
  • KyleC
    • Mar 2004

yep its been there for a while, very nice indeed!! easy to setup custom nameservers from now on.
    -Kyle

Comment

• coder
      • Apr 2004

Is it pretty safe to use your private name servers on your client's domains?

For example setting up ns1.myhostingco.com and ns2.myhostingco.com to have the same ips as the gzo.com nameservers and then giving out ns1/ns2.myhostingco.com to my hosting clients. What is the likely-hood of the gzo.com ips changing over time? Has it happened before? Also, is there other problems that may occur with using privatised nameservers instead of the directly using the default nameserver addresses?

Comment

• -Oz-
        • Mar 2004

Actually it is standard practice to use the private nameservers, that is what I do and i'm pretty sure what most people do.

The IPs should never change since they are dedicated to each server so that shouldn't be a problem. It is also a good idea to use your own so if god-forbid you switch hosts or get a dedicated server your clients don't have to change anything with their domains, you just change where your namehosts point.
        Dan Blomberg

Comment

• avenuex
          • Apr 2004

OZ, any recommendation as to where to get your own DNS host?

Comment

• -Oz-
            • Mar 2004

There really isn't a need to get your own DNS host because you can turn one of your domain names into one: http://forums.dathorn.com/showthread.php?t=24
            Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Pedja
              • Mar 2004

coder:

Is it pretty safe to use your private name servers on your client's domains?
              Sure as long as your ns subdomain records are A records. I found out in some docs that it is not advisable to use CNAME for ns. Do not know why.

avenuex:

any recommendation as to where to get your own DNS host?
              I tried xname.org. Works fine. However, you have excellend DNS host on Dathorn which you may control via WHM (submit trouble ticket to ask support to enable you DNS Zone access if it is not enabled).

SEond, it is more practical to use DAthorn DNS. When you create new cpanel account, domain or subdomain, cpanel creates necessary entries in Dathorn DNS. If you use other DNS you will have to set it manualy each time. It is not problem if you know what you are doing and what should be set in DNS.

In most cases, I see no reason to use external DNS. It is better to use custom ns domains so if there is need to move, you can simply change ip for DNS and use another one.

But, why would one move from Dathorn?

Comment

• avenuex
                • Apr 2004

Oh, for sure not to move away from dathorn. So far i've been very impressed... but then I was impressed with my last host too.. nevertheless, wasn't in my plans.

Was asking more because since each shared server acts as both dns server, ftp, web, and email should the server go down at any time, both dns and server goes down. I'm all for a 3rd party to monitor this, and switch dns for my more critical clients off to a backup site so that at least their service doesn't "SEEM" down.

Its not a great alternative, but a decent one for the buck

Comment

Working...