Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powvex
    • Mar 2004

I think its time to...

Its been about 2 or more years with Dathorn. But as the price drops on many aspects (HDD, Bandwidth, Server Prices,...), dont you think that its time to have a good improvement here in Dathorn plans? maybe more disk space?

We have other reseller plans with different companies that all of them had many improvements up to now, also services just got better.

Here with Dathorn we had no improvement in any plan, and to be honest, we had a downgrade(!) that was on backup service that was provided in all plans for free at the first year, now we should purchase it as an extra feature. As I saw anywhere, they all have daily backup for all plans free of charge.

Please post your comments/advise, I really appreciate.
  • Elite
    • Apr 2004

Although I agree with you regarding the free backups and I always want more for my money - I think the level of service/cost of the Dathorn plans is hard to beat - if not why are we all hosting here and not at one of the "other" companies you mention.

Also, there has been an upgrade (kind of) to bandwidth (doubled) - much more important than disk space for my uses - see http://forums.dathorn.com/showthread.php?t=1522

cheers

Nick

Comment

• powvex
      • Mar 2004

The day I got my first reseller plan here was more than 2 years, at that time you were right, but nowadays it will beaten by other competitors as you can find them anywhere.

Why we are standing here and don't want to move?: Because I personally have many accounts that their transfer to other places will be time/money consuming and boring, so I really like to stay with more features or some plan improvement, otherwise I'll move my accounts slowly as I could have the things under control (DNS change, mail lose, ...).

About the double bandwidth, it was a *special* offer, not an improvement on all plans and it has been *EXPIRED*.

Comment

• ChrisTech
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by powvex
        The day I got my first reseller plan here was more than 2 years, at that time you were right, but nowadays it will beaten by other competitors as you can find them anywhere.

Why we are standing here and don't want to move?: Because I personally have many accounts that their transfer to other places will be time/money consuming and boring, so I really like to stay with more features or some plan improvement, otherwise I'll move my accounts slowly as I could have the things under control (DNS change, mail lose, ...).

About the double bandwidth, it was a *special* offer, not an improvement on all plans and it has been *EXPIRED*.

Prices and plans are great. I've come to expect this type of service from any provider I use. It's not the case though. Many providers don't provide this type of service, to this standard. Longest time I've been with any webhost. Going on 26 months now. If I have to move anywhere, it will just be up to a dedicated server.

The double bandwidth offer was just a temp special. It was around for over a week. I got it on both my reseller accounts, though I doubt I will ever use that much bandwidth.

I guess if others are offering something you just cannot live without, then it's up to you to stay or move. I'm happy here.
        Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Buddha
          • Mar 2004

I've come to expect this type of service from any provider I use.
          I've notice I also have been using Dathorn as a Benchmark too.

Powvex, if your clients are not satified with the service or support then move on.
          "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Elite
            • Apr 2004

Buddah: Couldn't agree more
            PowVex/ChrisTech: Yes I realise this was an offer (hence the link to the discussion and my use of language).

Comment

• DesignURL
              • May 2004

Sure would be nice to have a "double hd space" sale

I have plenty of bandwidth, but sure could use more diskspace.

I've been with Dathorn about two years now. Just keep holding out that a dedicated server options come around. I'm adding new sites, both customers and my own, all the time.

Comment

• Grunfeld
                • Mar 2004

If you are thinking of moving because of price , sit back and think for a few minutes about how many issues you have had with Dathorn... downtime... server issues etc, I bet they are few.

I can only speak for myself and have been here coming up to 2 years in a few days and I don't even think about my clients having issues. Dathorn keeps us in the loop with service issues etc, and should you have issues they resolve very quickly....

If it's a money thing YES you will always find someone less expensive and maybe more flashy stuff.... no doubt.....

Take a look at Web hosting talk Forums and look to see what others are saying about their " Less expensive reseller Plans' many issues... etc.... maybe raise your prices if you need more return on your investment....

I still check every few months but no headaches is worth a lot to me and knowing my web host will not disappear over night if and when the issues arrive.

My two cents
                Cheers,

Gary
                (This space for rent)

Comment

• DesignURL
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Grunfeld
                  If you are thinking of moving because of price , sit back and think for a few minutes about how many issues you have had with Dathorn... downtime... server issues etc, I bet they are few.

I can only speak for myself and have been here coming up to 2 years in a few days and I don't even think about my clients having issues. Dathorn keeps us in the loop with service issues etc, and should you have issues they resolve very quickly....
                  You speak for me as well and very well said! I've had very few issues at all over the past two years. I've never been with a web host longer, and I've never been so unwilling to consider other options.

Comment

• Penhall
                    • Mar 2004

Although I would love a free backup service I think that DIS plans are quite decent for the money considering the level of reliability and service they provide.

The last thing I would like to see is DIS in price war with a 13 year old offering hosting plans from a DSL line in his parents basement. I would bet that DIS has had many customers "come back" after trying another service.
                    Regards
                    George Marchewa
                    Tutshi Web Solutions
                    http://www.tutshi.com

Comment

• andeelym
                      • Aug 2004

Well, personally, dathorn have been one of the most reliable webhost yet and although there have been some connection problems from my country to the server, it has been improving as my country's infrastructure peeps are working to resolve the issue.

Strangely, after my "complain/query" post in another thread, things have gotten better. Hopefully it will stay this way.

I will stick with dathorn even though the annoucement of not rolling out with the VPS service was a tad disappointing.

Comment

• powvex
                        • Mar 2004

Thanks for all replies.

I will not ask for price drop as I'm comfort with it, all I'm looking for is better plans; Space, Backup, Fantastico, ...

More comments appreciated.

Comment

• -Oz-
                          • Mar 2004

it appears someone is listening.
                          Dan Blomberg

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by -Oz-
                            it appears someone is listening.
                            Maybe

Though the Fantastico comment kind of puzzles me, we already offer all of the CPSkins.com cPanel themes and auto-installers which are very similar to those offered by Fantastico.

The backup system/pricing will not be changed. As is, it is extremely reliable, efficient, and off-server.

Comment

• powvex
                              • Mar 2004

That's what I'm talking about.

Thanks Andrew.

Comment

Working...