Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kalidust
    • Jun 2005

Great service

I've recently signed up here and wanted to thank the staff here for the great service and support they have give me
    - Karen
  • Big Dog
    • May 2004

Hi Kali,
    I saw you posting in another webhosts forum just recently where you had signed up, you were saying something like you had posted 6,000 times at the host previous to that.

The forums around here are pretty quiet, but I think you will love the rock solid hosting. Part of me likes to tell people about my great experience here (7 months), another part of me likes to keep it to myself because too much success often causes failure, if you know what I mean.

But, Andrew runs a really tight ship, and I predict success and long hosting here!

Comment

• kalidust
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Big Dog
      Hi Kali,
      I saw you posting in another webhosts forum just recently where you had signed up, you were saying something like you had posted 6,000 times at the host previous to that.
      No, it is over 8,000 posts

I'm sure I won't be posting that much here though
      - Karen

Comment

• Big Dog
        • May 2004

Well, you have only 7,998 to go. You are well on your way.

I think the only hidden cost at Dathorn is that you have to pay seperately for your backkup. But the good news is that you have ftp access to your backup so it is much more flexible than the average backup you would get.

But the extra cost for the backup motivated me to buy a cheap PC for home and do my own incremental backups. Which is even more flexible. So its win win win for me.

Comment

• Grunfeld
          • Mar 2004

Welcome to Dathorn, I think you will enjoy it here , I have been here for over 2 yrs and it's almost a dream.....minimal issues so the stress leve l is good .... can concentrate on other things.....

Enjoy Dathorn....
          Cheers,

Gary
          (This space for rent)

Comment

• GIORGIO
            • Aug 2004

Karen... You rememebr me?

Hi Karen... I am so surprised that I can meet you up here... Remember who I am? Did you manage to get the "double everything" special here?

Comment

• kalidust
              • Jun 2005

Hi Giorgio Yes I do know who you are and did get the special

Got the account for the disability sites I do
              - Karen

Comment

• GIORGIO
                • Aug 2004

It's really nice to see you here, Karen. I have been here for almost a year, everything works great for the price I paid so far. I sure you will enjoy their service here, too. I used to have many small reseller accounts everywhere for different projects of my company, but I closed most of them after years of experiences and finally remains some accounts in "where we from" and in here now. All the best, Karen.

Comment

• james
                  • Mar 2004

Off topic:

Originally posted by Big Dog
                  But the extra cost for the backup motivated me to buy a cheap PC for home and do my own incremental backups. Which is even more flexible. So its win win win for me.
                  Big Dog,

Would you be able to explain how you set this up? I have a linux server at my house that I use for FTPing backups of my important MySQL backups (done via a PHP script).

How have you set up your automatic incremental file backups to be sent to your own pc?

Also, this counts in your bandwidth usage for the month, correct?

Thanks

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2004

Welcome to Dathorn! Like others said its a dream here....hell I don't
                    think I even remember my login details been so long since I had to login LOL.
                    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
                    - C

Comment

• Hamtramck Rick
                      • Oct 2004

Hi James,

James wrote:
                      >Would you be able to explain how you set this up? I have a linux server at my house that I use for FTPing backups of my important MySQL backups (done via a PHP script).

For mysql, I use a php script which I learned about in the Dathorn forums, probably the same one you use.

How have you set up your automatic incremental file backups to be sent to your own pc?

I ended up using lftp . If a file changes, it will re-download the entire file again, but if the file has not changed, it will not re-download it. I have scripts which do all the work. I fire them off manually because they are part of a larger manual process, but you could fire them off using Cron.

I experiemented with rsync which was the other great choice, but after I download the files (mostly mp3s), I then push them to another, cheaper server on the internet, and I did not have shell access to it, so I fell into using lftp since it does not require shell access.

Andrew uses rsync for his backup system, so that gives you an idea of how good rsync is. (Very good).

James wrote:
                      >Also, this counts in your bandwidth usage for the month, correct?

Yes. But since it's an incremental backup this is not so bad at all. (I defined my maybe misleading definition of "incremental" above.)

So the end result is that I have a copy of all my files (html, php, mp3, and mysql database locally on my debian box, and I also have a copy of my mp3s elsewhere on cheaper storage and bandwidth on the internet.

Every once in a while I dump my local hardrive onto another one which I keep disconnected from the computer. I use those removable drive bays.

lftp is very powerful. It has a "mirror" command where you just tell it the directory on the remote machine and the directory on the local machine, and the direction, and then it "mirrors" it, not bothering to copy over files that were previously copied and are unchanged. It took me a bit of time to figure out lftp's scripting language because samples of it were hard to come by. But I'd be glad to pass them onto you should you be interested.

Comment

• james
                        • Mar 2004

Ah ok.

You're referring to http://lftp.yar.ru/, correct?

If possible would you be able to PM me a copy of one of your backup scripts?

Thank you very much!

James

Comment

• Hamtramck Rick
                          • Oct 2004

Hi James,
                          That location sounds right. Just to re-cap, I pull the files from dathorn onto my local Linux box (this is so I can copy it again and move the hard drive off the machine).

And then I push the files back out onto the internet (because they are mp3s which I still want to be able to access.

It was not real easy finding the scripts online, but here they are!

To receive the files, from my local linux box I type

lftp -f getmusic.lftp

Here is the contents of getmusic.lftp
                          -------------------------------------------------
                          open -u MyLoginName,MyTopSecretPassword mydom.com
                          mirror -vvv public_html/songs /home/backup/online/public_html/songs
                          ------------------------------------------------

And then I push the files back to cheaper storage on the internet with:
                          lftp -f putmusic.lftp

--------------------------------------------------
                          open -u MyName,SecretPass cheapstorage.com
                          mirror -R -vvv -e /home/backup/online/public_html/songs public_html/songs
                          ----------------------------------------------------

I can't say enough about lftp. If it can't connect. I keeps trying. If it copies half the files and is stopped, I restart it, it checks where it was and restarts at the right place.

Comment

• james
                            • Mar 2004

thanks for that!

I'll give it a go later today.

James

Comment

Working...