Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

Mp3 Player vs. Mp3-CD Player

My CD player is nearly dead... and I'm getting my first paycheck (on Weds.)
    from this job I got last week. So I've been considering getting maybe a new
    CD player than can take MP3 CDs, which would mean after ripping all my
    current CDs I would be able to put it all on maybe 8-9 CDs MAX

Or maybe get a Mp3 player since it is smaller...small enough maybe I can
    put it in my pocket and take into work (to use during my break) plus I am
    kinda tired hauling round a full blown CD Player and CD case So what do
    you guys think? Mp3 Player or Mp3-CD Player? For the CD Player anything
    under $50 @ Walmart is my choice, as for the Mp3 Player I am thinking
    of something sub $100... best choice I think is this Rio model @ Walmart
    on clearance for $75. It is 256MB but can take a SecureDigital card and
    is expandable up to 1GB total. Is this mean it can be a total of only 1GB
    between the built-in memory + the SD card? Or max sized SD card is 1GB?
    Rio Mp3 Player
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C
  • -Oz-
    • Mar 2004

go with an mp3 player. But you need more disc space than that most likely. At least I would.
    Dan Blomberg

Comment

• ChrisTech
      • Mar 2004

I'd do a mp3 cd player. my portable cd player (mainly used for playing cds in the car, or listening to while I blade (ohhh yahhh)) is starting to die. I plan on getting a mp3/cd player to use for both. Of course getting from Best Buy with the addon like $5 warrenty plan is a must. I've already broken 2 cd players while blading. Apparently when you fall, and 250 odd pounds of you fall on it, they tend to break. But Best Buy has kept good on their warrenty in the past. I've brought two back in pieces, mixed with pieces of cds or cdrs and gotten a brand new one by showing off that nice warrenty.

Though my warrenty is now gone, I need a new one. So mp3/cd player it will be. Past player was a Sony, and it survived in my car, in the St. Louis direct sunlight for almost 3.5 years. I thinK I will be getting another one.

I think I paid around $80 originally for my player, another $20 for the car kit, and another $20 for rechargable batt's & charger, plus the $5-$10 for the extended warrenty.

=)
      Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• -Oz-
        • Mar 2004

i have an mp3 cd player, just takes too long to navigate. Granted, my car also has an mp3 cd player deck, so that is the best thing ever.
        Dan Blomberg

Comment

• ChrisTech
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by -Oz-
          i have an mp3 cd player, just takes too long to navigate. Granted, my car also has an mp3 cd player deck, so that is the best thing ever.
          Next vechile shall have the mp3 deck in it, this one is gettin old, and its the nice ford taurus with the oval face plate that's around $100. I still have my used ellipse cd deck in my closet, from my old car, that was bought from a buddy years, and years ago.

**edit not to steal jonathan's thread, but does anyone know of a nice cheap car/truck that someone tall (really tall, 6 feet, 6 inches) can fit, comfortably in? Current car is '99 Ford Taurus (V6/24Valve (ie. SHO)). I can barely fit into it, can't fit in a Ford Ranger Supercab (its too darn small!). Gah.

Comment

• avenuex
            • Apr 2004

Why not an iPod? I've used mp3-cd's, Sony's MiniDisc, and a number of 128/256 MP3 players, and frankly, I don't know what I would do without my 40G iPod now.

I have nearly my entire CD collection on it. (limited only by the fact my PC's HD is running out of space, time to get a new HD) and I can use it in my car via radio transmission easily. (iPlay or something like that).

Best of all, when I need to transfer data, I can also use the iPod as a portable hard drive. (although I have a 2.5" portable drive already i carry around.) thats 2.5" btw.. which means I can fit it into my pocket. Its smaller than even the iPod itself.

I wouldn't go for the Mini's though. They're nice, but the extra Gigs are well worth it, even if you don't use it up.

Comment

• ChrisTech
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by avenuex
              Why not an iPod? I've used mp3-cd's, Sony's MiniDisc, and a number of 128/256 MP3 players, and frankly, I don't know what I would do without my 40G iPod now.

I have nearly my entire CD collection on it. (limited only by the fact my PC's HD is running out of space, time to get a new HD) and I can use it in my car via radio transmission easily. (iPlay or something like that).

Best of all, when I need to transfer data, I can also use the iPod as a portable hard drive. (although I have a 2.5" portable drive already i carry around.) thats 2.5" btw.. which means I can fit it into my pocket. Its smaller than even the iPod itself.

I wouldn't go for the Mini's though. They're nice, but the extra Gigs are well worth it, even if you don't use it up.

Largely though, it may come down to price. mp3 cd players are around $50 each. Vs. around $100 for a 128/256 mp3 player, vs. the few hunderd bux for an ipod.

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2004

Chris is right Price is a major issue. Since I only worked 15hrs or so
                I'll most likely be under $100 after all the soc. security, etc. is taken out

My main thought of getting the Rio, dispite it being only 256MB (which is 2small for me)
                is I was thinking I would be able to get a 1GB SD card for my Birthday next month and
                I know 1GB would easily last me for as long as I am away from the PC On the other
                hand a cheap Mp3-CD player I would be able to keep all my music on only a handful of
                CDs (would be nice vs. the 40+ I currently carry around) but I hate carrying a CD case.

Chris~ have you considered a Stratrus? My brother has one and it seems
                to be pretty roomy in the driver's seat. Its also a blast to drive MHO
                That or the Explorer is nice... @least for me, its a decent amount of leg space (bout 5' 10")
                - C

Comment

• ChrisTech
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
                  Chris is right Price is a major issue. Since I only worked 15hrs or so
                  I'll most likely be under $100 after all the soc. security, etc. is taken out

My main thought of getting the Rio, dispite it being only 256MB (which is 2small for me)
                  is I was thinking I would be able to get a 1GB SD card for my Birthday next month and
                  I know 1GB would easily last me for as long as I am away from the PC On the other
                  hand a cheap Mp3-CD player I would be able to keep all my music on only a handful of
                  CDs (would be nice vs. the 40+ I currently carry around) but I hate carrying a CD case.

Chris~ have you considered a Stratrus? My brother has one and it seems
                  to be pretty roomy in the driver's seat. Its also a blast to drive MHO
                  That or the Explorer is nice... @least for me, its a decent amount of leg space (bout 5' 10")
                  If you get a mp3/cd player, make sure it can play cd-rw's.

Never checked out a Stratus. I Explorer's are too small. I do fit in dad's Expidition, but I dont need to spend $30k on a truck. If I get a truck, I will just get a full sized truck and be done with it.

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2004

If the Explorer is too small I think the Stratrus would be too
                    - C

Comment

• avenuex
                      • Apr 2004

True, a 40G iPod is $299 before tax. Mini's (4Gigs) go $199 before tax. Its expensive, however I would've argued just as hard against it before I got one. If you add in all the other items like $50 ~ 75 for player, + $75 for 1Gb SD + convenience of having everything in one place opposed to multiple discs. Its nearly worth it. =) Yes, I've become a convert.

iTunes is a million times easier to use and work with than MusicMatch, and much nicer to organize music than dropping mp3's into a folder (as i did with my creative 128 mp3 player).

But good luck with whatever you decide. Personally, I'd go with a flash based player than a CD based, as its easier to do playlists and load them for whatever use/trips/everyday than to hunt down CDs and carry those around in addition.

Just my $.02
                      luck.

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2004

I decided. First since my check isn't as much as I'd hoped for most likely
                        I will wait til the 1st (when I get paid for my other job) to get it. Tomorrow
                        I am going to try and score a used/refurbished PS2 @ EB Games (in the mall).
                        Failing that I'll get the Rio mp3 player.
                        - C

Comment

• Andy
                          • Mar 2004

I just bought a Samsung 1GB MP3 Player Model: YP-MT6Z 3 weeks, and I love it. The only thing i wish it had was full support for USB 2.0

I was lucky to get an awesome deal for this.
                          Bestbuy here in canada sell it for $229.99, and had it listed for $129.99. But, they meant the sale price to be for the 512MB version. So with the misprint, I was able to get one for $129 for 1GB.

BestbuyUS $149.99

Bestbuy Canada $229.99
                          Andy

Comment

• Jonathan
                            • Mar 2004

Nice deal! It looks like the Mp3 player will wait...
                            I couldn't resist, I got a PS2
                            - C

Comment

• Jonathan
                              • Mar 2004

Got the mp3 player. It was a cheap (cheaper than the Rio) model @ Wally World.
                              256MB, FM Tuner, FM Recorder, Voice Recorder, MP3/WAV support, and I think it
                              also supports DRM-protected files since it has a note bout it not working unless
                              you copy it via WMP or music management software compatible w/ the online store.

Like the Rio it has the most important feature: Supports SD/MMC cards
                              Now to wait for a 256MB+ card to go on sale...
                              - C

Comment

Working...