X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Denver Dave
    • Sep 2004

Initial Mailbox Q - receiving email

I setup a new account ItsFatFree.com with a logon of fatfree

It looks like there is an automatic mailbox setup for fatfree and I have been able to send emails from it using the cpanel webmail, but when I reply to the message it is never received back in the mailbox.

I thought that the default address might be the problem which was set to :blackhole: so I changed it to fatfree@itsfatfree.com and received a message that this was not a valid email address. I reversed back to :blackhole: since seems like FatFree@itsfatfree.com should be a routed email address.

I have setup mailboxes on other servers before, but this is the first at dathorn. Am I missing something? Is there a way to identify the problem?

Thanks.
  • Dan
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Denver Dave
    I setup a new account ItsFatFree.com with a logon of fatfree

It looks like there is an automatic mailbox setup for fatfree and I have been able to send emails from it using the cpanel webmail, but when I reply to the message it is never received back in the mailbox.

I thought that the default address might be the problem which was set to :blackhole: so I changed it to fatfree@itsfatfree.com and received a message that this was not a valid email address. I reversed back to :blackhole: since seems like FatFree@itsfatfree.com should be a routed email address.

I have setup mailboxes on other servers before, but this is the first at dathorn. Am I missing something? Is there a way to identify the problem?

Thanks.

Hello Dave,

The account name that you create for an account does become a routable address but it is acctname@servername.com rather than acctname@domain.com. It's also not one that I would not advise using because it is your catch all address and, obviously, it's not connected to the domain name you'd like.

As far as I know this is a limitation of CPanel and not particular to Dathorn at all.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Comment

• Denver Dave
      • Sep 2004

So am I being fooled? (not the first time) and it is awkward that Cpanel does not identify the email account signed in ( I've run into this at other hosts).

However, after I login to Cpanel for the domain and click on manage accounts, it shows fatfree as an email account (this is the account logon and granted, does not say @ItsFatFree.com). I log into the account and send an email to one of my other email addresses and it says from fatfree@itsfatfree.com

Am I just being fooled? Is the Logon name not available for the email@domain.com (not such a bad idea). I think I'll setup another email account and see what happens.... oh that's right Squirel Mail does not really sign us out and we go right back in and since the account is not displayed, we don't know what account were in - I'll close all the windows.

Surely others must have hit this.
      ==============
      Ok setup a new email account info@itsfatfree.com - same results as above, can send, but not receive with webmail. I guess it might be time for a trouble ticket.

Thanks - Dave
      Last edited by Denver Dave; 06-27-2005, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Denver Dave
        • Sep 2004

To assist, I have documented the steps I'm using to view email and provided print screens of the sent items folders (there is nothing in the inbox):

================================

6/28/2005 more information
        There does infact seem to be two FatFree email accounts. I was able to create another from the Mail Account Maintenance screen. The new ItsFatFree.com works and AndrewT did something so info@ItsFatFree.com now works.

Thanks - hope this helps someone else.
        Last edited by Denver Dave; 06-28-2005, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...