Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

phpBB Update Released

I just recieved this minor update to phpBB which also includes some information regarding future security efforts. I thought it would be of interest to the Dathornians around here:

Originally posted by the phpBB Group
    Date: 19 Jul 2005 22:05:38 -0000
    Subject: phpBB 2.0.17 released

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

phpBB Group announces the release of phpBB 2.0.17, the "no, we did not forget naming it last time" release. This release addresses several bugfixes and some low security issues as well as the recently seemingly wide-spread XSS issue (only affecting Internet Explorer).

Please have a look down this announcement for the code changes necessary to fix the XSS issue, we are again astounded about the energy people put into finding the smallest issue in phpBB 2.0.x, those must have a lot of time available. But on the other hand it is always increasing the products security since we do not introduce new features into the 2.0.x codebase.

With this announcement I want to give you some more information regarding phpBB's security. psoTFX (Paul S. Owen, Project Manager) initiated and brought forward the idea and concept of a complete security audit of the 2.0.x codebase. We introduced some top-notch security people, phpBB-Modders and very talented people from our teams to participate in this audit. We intend to implement the changes necessary - and also fixing the found issues, hopefully giving the now very aged codebase (it is still on a technical level from three years ago) a lift and bringing it up-to-date with security mechanisms and techniques which are common nowadays.

We also intend to open our private bugtracker system to the public for reporting 2.0.x bugs within the next days.

As with all new releases we urge you to update as soon as possible. You can of course find this download available on our downloads page at http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php.
    As per usual three packages are available to simplify your update.

The Full Package contains entire phpBB2 source and English language package.
    The Changed Files Only contains only those files changed from previous versions of phpBB. Please note this archive contains changed files for each previous release.
    Patch Files contains patch compatible patches from the previous versions of phpBB.

As always, our Code Changes Tutorial is available too for those with heavily modded boards.
    It can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=308426

Select whichever package is most suitable for you.

Please ensure you read the INSTALL and README documents in docs/ before proceeding with installation or updates!.

The changelog (contained within this release) is as follows:

- Added extra checks to the deletion code in privmsg.php - reported by party_fan
    - Fixed XSS issue in IE using the url BBCode
    - Fixed admin activation so that you must have administrator rights to activate accounts in this mode - reported by ieure
    - Fixed get_username returning wrong row for usernames beginning with numerics - reported by Ptirhiik
    - Pass username through phpbb_clean_username within validate_username function - AnthraX101
    - Fixed PHP error in message_die function
    - Fixed incorrect generation of {postrow.SEARCH_IMG} tag in viewtopic.php - reported by Double_J
    - Also fixed above issue in usercp_viewprofile.php
    - Fixed incorrect setting of user_level on pending members if a group is granted moderator rights - reported by halochat
    - Fixed ordering of forums on admin_ug_auth.php to be consistant with other pages
    - Correctly set username on posts when deleting a user from the admin panel

Please read the official announcement for the code changes necessary to fix the XSS issue:

the phpBB Group
  • andeelym
    • Aug 2004

I also received an out-of-date warning for the phpBB in my phpnuke installation. I would like to know if I apply the update? Will it mess my phpnuke site?

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

I don't have any direct experience, but I have heard that you should check first with the *nuke people ... they will incorporate the update into their release of the integrated version of phpBB. Not sure what could happen with this particular release, but I've read some horror stories with prior releases when people tried to apply them to an integrated version on a CMS.

Comment

Working...