Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacking attempt on contact form

Default Hacking attempt on contact form

Hello all. I have been using the same contact form script for a couple of years now. Up till now I don't think there has been any mischief attempted with it.
    It is written in php.
    Now I have received emails on two of my forms that indicate attempts at something, spamming I guess.
    A few days after the first attempt I got more from another of my domains. The email in the "bcc" line is the same in both cases.
    The emails are sent by my username on cpanel05 as usual but here is what they look like. I am editing them and replacing my domain name with "mydomain.com".

Quote:
    azmrku@mydomain.com
    Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=\"===============1042879710==\"
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Subject: bdb1a4ed
    To: azmrku@mydomain.com
    bcc: jrubin3546@aol.com

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1042879710==
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=\"us-ascii\"
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

dsowv
    --===============1042879710==--

azmrku@mydomain.com
    azmrku@mydomain.com

are you sure these came from the form and it isn't just someone pretending to use your server to send mail. I get bounce backs frequently where someone spoofed one of my addresses.
    Dan Blomberg

Default This guy has phished lots of others

After I posted that I googled the email address on the bcc and he is doing this all over. One site I found tells what they are trying to do. The cgi scripts and the perl scripts are the most vulnerable if I am not mistaken. I hope my php script, which I got from someone a couple years ago, is not vulnerable.
    Thanks. Joe

I'd be happy to look over the script if you want to PM/email me the source

David

I wrote a script from scratch because it seems spammers troll for the common contact scripts you can download and use.

It was a bit of work, but none of the spammers have hacked my script yet.

Default Hacking of Contact form

I have 3 contact forms on my site and recently I have been receiving several bogus messages per day. How does this hacking work? What can happen? I just use a script from Cpanel. Does this leave me vulnerable to something?

I don't think it's necessarily a hack, rather a clever script that goes out and identifies contact forms, fills them in automatically with their spam and then submits it. I've gone to adding those pesky "security images" to contact forms and it solves the issue.

The script I use is very simple and goes along with my custom php contact forms:

Securimage CAPTCHA Class listed on hotscripts:

http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/49400.html

curious- do any of the form's fields give an option to modify a header field on the outgoing email? Such as the Subject of the outgoing email? If so, that's how they are adding the bcc field i'd bet.

One of my customers was using cgiemail (a cpanel cgi form script), and they were suspended because the script was used to send out mass spam emails to aol.com users.

I have since removed this script and written my own version of it using PHP (based on phpmailer).

I have had to host the domain on another web host because Andrew did not unsuspend this domain, which is fair enough I suppose.

This is basically a warning to anyone using cgiemail from cpanel to change to another script to avoid your account being suspended.

James

I would suggest that BEFORE using any script in the CPanel supplied scripts people should drop a note to support and inquire if there are any known bugs, issues etc.

Also check with the author of the script to see if any updates can be had.

Thread Information