is there an UbberSmith credit card leak?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason
    • Oct 2004

Merchant Gateway Exploited

There was a large gateway processing hack a couple months ago that resulted in millions of numbers and other data being acquired by the cracker(s). The funny thing is that it was information they were not supposed to be keeping anyways. It could also have been from the ebay hack, or any number of others.. generally the repercusions of such activity will not be seen for quite a while after, since the information needs to be dispersed, sold, and eventually utilized.

Also, it could be as simple as someone from your local bar, most restaraunts and retails places have the full # printed on the merchant copy (which I find to be most fowl!).

Comment

• openbox
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jason
      Also, it could be as simple as someone from your local bar, most restaraunts and retails places have the full # printed on the merchant copy (which I find to be most fowl!).
      Not so much anymore. I haven't seen my full card number printed on a receipt in years.

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jason
        Originally posted by openbox
        Not so much anymore. I haven't seen my full card number printed on a receipt in years.
        I think Jason is referring to that little slip of paper the cashier puts in her register. Next time your at the store ask to see it. If your CC number is on it take it up with your CC company.

Not usually a problem with stores that use carbon copies.
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

As of early this year all existing credit card processors were no longer supposed to be printing full credit card numbers on their receipts. Though from time to time at smaller establishments I have still seen it.

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2004

Interesting I may have to check this out next time someone pays w/ debt.
            *off topic ~ gettin training as cashier @ the store I work at [for now]*
            "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
            - C

Comment

• Buddha
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
              Interesting I may have to check this out next time someone pays w/ debt.
              *off topic ~ gettin training as cashier @ the store I work at [for now]*
              Wow you got training! I remember my training. It basically consisted of being showed once and then being left to fend for myself.

ME: "What do you mean your going home?"
              MANAGER: "You'll be fine, it ain't busy.
              ME: "But ... But ... But ..."
              MANAGER: "If you have any trouble just use the phone to call code 9 to electronics. Have a Good Night!"

It was like she jinx it with those three little words. "It ain't busy." The store set a new record that day in the number of sales. I'm sure there's a level of Hell where that day repeats again and again and again ... "Code 9 to electronics!! Code 9 to electronics!!" "Sorry the number you dailed can not be reached. Please hang up and dail again." Would of really helped if she showed me how to use the phone for announcements.

Not working for Kmart are ya?
              "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• openbox
                • Mar 2004

Of course it's really a mute point anyway. How many people let the server take your card to charge the meal while they aren't watching? How long does it take to make a rubbing of the card? Bottom line, if someone wants your card number for purposes other than honorable, it isn't too hard to get it.

A lot of people are making privacy an important issue (inlcuding legislatures). The problem is that people don't realize privacy is often an illusion.

Comment

• Jonathan
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
                  Wow you got training! I remember my training. It basically consisted of being showed once and then being left to fend for myself.

ME: "What do you mean your going home?"
                  MANAGER: "You'll be fine, it ain't busy.
                  ME: "But ... But ... But ..."
                  MANAGER: "If you have any trouble just use the phone to call code 9 to electronics. Have a Good Night!"

It was like she jinx it with those three little words. "It ain't busy." The store set a new record that day in the number of sales. I'm sure there's a level of Hell where that day repeats again and again and again ... "Code 9 to electronics!! Code 9 to electronics!!" "Sorry the number you dailed can not be reached. Please hang up and dail again." Would of really helped if she showed me how to use the phone for announcements.

Not working for Kmart are ya?
                  Nah just working for Food Lion. Should be some on your side of the state.
                  Only worked on the register for like maybe 6 times I think. Last two I've been
                  on my own pretty much (finally got my own numbers/drawer) Luckily we
                  got just those mikes...no need to figure out how to use the phone
                  "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
                  - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                    • Mar 2004

Of course it's really a mute point anyway. How many people let the server take your card to charge the meal while they aren't watching? How long does it take to make a rubbing of the card? Bottom line, if someone wants your card number for purposes other than honorable, it isn't too hard to get it.

A lot of people are making privacy an important issue (inlcuding legislatures). The problem is that people don't realize privacy is often an illusion.
                    Yeah, you have to put some trust in people. Otherwise you spend a lonely life. It would be hard to charge something without allowing the person to scan your card!

The incidences of identity theft I have personal knowledge of all involved someone the victim never met. A cousin had a person at one of the credit bureaus steal her identity, and an uncle had a credit card stolen out of the mailbox, and used nearly a year later (they suspect it was stolen from the mail, but they didn't really know ... it was a card my uncle never received and had to be replaced).

Comment

• openbox
                      • Mar 2004

Identity theft is a huge issue. It happened to me on a relatively small scale, so I do have first-hand knowledge. Luckily, I'm a fanatic when it comes to my finances (it's daily routine for me to check all of my accounts), so I was able to catch it soon after the first charge hit my card. There were 17 other charges pending that I was able to cancel without issue.

People need to control what they can (unfortunately most have no desire or understanding), and big businesses need to make it easier to clean up messes brought on by others. I was lucky, but I've heard horror stories of dealing with credit agencies to rectify other people's wrong-doings.

Comment

• BradK
                        • Jul 2005

Yes, and it's happened to more than one card processor in the last year or so. As Andrew said, it's not a Dathorn processing issue. As far as I know, Dathorn doesn't even see the credit card info.

Speaking from identity theft experience, you should always keep an eye on your credit lines and their information. Get your credit report...you might be surprised.
                        What is a good way to get your credit report -- without getting your name on the spam list of every sleazy loan 'broker' trying to collect and sell contact info?

Comment

• openbox
                          • Mar 2004

annualcreditreport.com

Comment

Working...