Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cathode
    • Oct 2004

"www"... not working in URL

I have a domain that works without the "www" before it, as in "http://domain.com"; but not with the www, as in "http:/www.domain.com". I have done nothing special or different with the setup. Can anyone shed light onto this?

thanks!
  • Elite
    • Apr 2004

This should work by default (it does for me)..

Maybe try creating it againm if that fails submit a TT

Comment

• Buddha
      • Mar 2004

Please contact this domain's administrator as their DNS Made Easy services have expired.

Doubt they'll be much use.
      "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• cathode
        • Oct 2004

Followup:
        I have noticed that some domains do not work with the www from time to time. What could cause this intermittent problem?

Comment

• Skky
          • Apr 2004

Whether the "www" works the same or not, is dependant on the server where it. is hosted. Really, the "www" is just a subdomain that points to the main domain (non-www).

Dathorn sites are setup to work both ways by default. If the domain you mentioned is on a Dathorn server, than there is something wrong with your account.

Some scripts you are running on your website may not like one way or other (because they are looking for a specific URL for a cookie or something).

Comment

• Skky
            • Apr 2004

Do they error out (as if the domain didn't exist), or does it give something else like a "file not found" error?

If it works "sometimes" and is a script of somekind (like a forum, gallery, ect), I would lean toward something being wrong on the website instead of dathorn. I've never run into that problem though, so I could be wrong.

Comment

• george
              • Apr 2005

This is all about domain.

In default, dathorn will set yourdomain.com pointing to your space, while www.yourdomain.com pointed equal to domain.com

For example, in the DNS setting:

yourdomain.com. 14400 IN A IP_Address
              www 14400 IN CNAME yourdomain.com.

The second entry there don't end with a '.', it's a relative domain, equal to www.yourdomain.com. here, it has a 'CNAME' with yourdomain.com, as if a copy of yourdomain.com.

So if you want your www.yourdomain.com work, just to check here.
              Flash platform services
              iGPS.ca
              map.igps.ca

Comment

Working...