Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earthandspace.info
    • Jul 2004

New Web Hosting??

Hi all!! I was wondering what other reseller hosting companies are comparable to Dathorn? I'm willing to pay up to $25.00 a month. Currently, my site is on Dathorn but wanting to test other pastures out there.
    Alpha Centauri's Universe

Exploring our universe from Earth to the most distant of galaxies!
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

... probably get a better response at WHT. That's where I usually start. It's not easy to find hosting that compares to Dathorn. I usually settle for good uptime (~95%) and TT response within 24hr. I need to redo me list of backups ... see who's went out of business in the last 6 months ... try a few new ones out.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Thread moved to more appropriate forum.

Comment

• earthandspace.info
        • Jul 2004

WHT

The only beef I have about WHT is that most people seem to go there mainly to vent their rage. For me, it kinda distorts the integrety of the data. If I don't like a host, I simply pack up and move.

What bugs me about Dathorn is not the service. It's that inflexible dude that runs it. There is no option to either pay an extra month ahead or enter alternate credit card info. So, if my checking out runs empty after paying rent, there are problems...BAH!!

What I'm wanting to do is turn this hobby of mine into some cash! In otherwords, I intend to sell web hosting. Having the accounts paid ahead of time is going to be essential. In my opinion, Dathorn is good for personal/non critical use.

Comment

• Buddha
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by earthandspace.info
          What bugs me about Dathorn is not the service. It's that inflexible dude that runs it. There is no option to either pay an extra month ahead or enter alternate credit card info. So, if my checking out runs empty after paying rent, there are problems...BAH!!
          That problem is going to follow you probably no matter where you go. People are usually rather inflexible about getting paid for their services on time without a hassle.

In my opinion, Dathorn is good for personal/non critical use.
          Yep it's shared hosting.

The only beef I have about WHT is that most people seem to go there mainly to vent their rage. For me, it kinda distorts the integrety of the data. If I don't like a host, I simply pack up and move.
          True, but it's a better place to start than here. At least there you can contact (PM) the host to see if they can accommodate your ... special needs.
          Last edited by Buddha; 08-13-2005, 08:26 AM.
          "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Grunfeld
            • Mar 2004

Well most people have "special" needs when it comes to money. If you can't BUDGET your money then maybe a business is not meant in your future. Most sucessful business people will tell you, to be successful you need to budget.

If you plan your spending and stick to to it you should have no issues, however that is a step you need to take. We are not talking a lot of money here for the basic package..... per month....
            Cheers,

Gary
            (This space for rent)

Comment

• ChrisTech
              • Mar 2004

What I'm wanting to do is turn this hobby of mine into some cash! In otherwords, I intend to sell web hosting. Having the accounts paid ahead of time is going to be essential. In my opinion, Dathorn is good for personal/non critical use.
              Like you've posted before, really, if you cannot balance your budget, so you have money in your account to pay your bills, you will have issues.

I use Dathorn to host around 20 odd sites (my own sites or customers), and we use it @ work to host about 30+ of our paying customers. I'd say its used for critical hosting. The uptime and service is unbeatable for the cost. 99.6% or higher on each of the servers I'm on for over 2 years! Now I would call that good for critical use.

I don't think its fair for you to "bash" your host, due to your own personal financial management issues. I pay for my sites via my debit card, and I never have issues paying.

If your site really isn't that critical, and you can afford to move to a cheaper host, go for it. Granted, they might not have the uptime, or service you get here. But it could fit your payment issues.
              Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Buddha
                • Mar 2004

Damn and I was trying to be nice and polite ...

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                  • Mar 2004

The Dathorn forums are just chock full of people who are very happy with Dathorn as a hosting company, and this is probably not a good place to look for alternatives. If we knew of one that fit our needs better we wouldn't be here. We would be there already.

So there you are. Or, rather, here you are. Or something like that.

Comment

• Buddha
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
                    If we knew of one that fit our needs better we wouldn't be here. We would be there already.
                    Uhm ... I don't think anyone here would really want to recommend our friend here to any host they do business with. That would be a good way to screw up a professional relationship wouldn't it?

Comment

• Grunfeld
                      • Mar 2004

There are tons of "cheaper" hosts however I think most will agree "cheaper" will only be by a few and maybe 2 to 3 dollars a month if that and what you will get is poor performance, oversold servers or the bottom of the barrell a host that will make you pay for a quarter or half a year and then your money is gone on top of poor performance.

If a couple of dollars a month is going to sway you from Dathorn, then your business plan is doomed before you start that I know for sure.....
                      Cheers,

Gary
                      (This space for rent)

Comment

• openbox
                        • Mar 2004

The business plan is already doomed if he can't bankroll $13.50 to cover his hosting here.

Comment

• earthandspace.info
                          • Jul 2004

Good Grief....

All I want to do is pay the account a month ahead of time. Personally, I think it's a great way to handle money.

For those of you who think I'm bashing Dathorn are wrong. If I disliked the services, my site would already be running on another service without any of you people knowing so. The main problem I have is Andrew's inflexibility. Having clients under such a situation would make me rather nervous. Not so much about payments. I would me moreso worried about a client running a script or program and automatically losing a dozen accounts due to suspensions and having to issue refunds and new accounts. That would be VERY EXPENSIVE and would erase a month's profits easily. Sorry to say but this is where Dathorn truely gets some bad rap. Seems like such scripts ran by an amatuer webhoster can simply be removed from the comp...that is my take on that one.

Think about it?? Lets say the cable is due on the 13th. You mail the payment on the 9th and it arrives on the 13th and gets posted on the 17th. One gets charged that $5.00 late fee. Sounds all too familiar? By having my cable payed a month ahead, the account carries a positive balance for 30 days. This way, I NeVeR have to pay out late fees. Many people pay these small fees every month for things like phone, electric, gas, and cable and not realize just how much it all adds up ($300 + per year).

So, creating a situation where your accounts have a 30 day grace period is an excellent and sound idea!!

With other hosts, that was never a problem. Typically, I sent in a money order to cover an extra month and when I was done with the service, I would use that extra month as time to move my site.

BTW, all four alternative hosting companies contacted so far are more than happy to accept payments a month ahead of time! It's all just a matter of being just a little flexible.

Comment

• Buddha
                            • Mar 2004

The main problem I have is Andrew's inflexibility.
                            ... and here I thought it was poor money management skills. Go figure.

BTW, all four alternative hosting companies contacted so far are more than happy to accept payments a month ahead of time! It's all just a matter of being just a little flexible.
                            Well there you go, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Good Luck!

Comment

• openbox
                              • Mar 2004

I would me moreso worried about a client running a script or program and automatically losing a dozen accounts due to suspensions and having to issue refunds and new accounts.
                              Set the same rules for your clients that Dathorn sets for you

Lets say the cable is due on the 13th. You mail the payment on the 9th and it arrives on the 13th and gets posted on the 17th. One gets charged that $5.00 late fee.
                              I guess I don't get it. Dathorn bills you automatically, so there is no late fee. And as far as your cable bill...pay online or use automatic debit. I can't remember the last time I've been hit with a late charge because everything happens without me doing anything

Comment

Working...