possible to give Database creation/editing access without cpanel access?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cathode
    • Oct 2004

possible to give Database creation/editing access without cpanel access?

Hey, is it possible to give database creation/editing access without cpanel access? I keep running into this...

thanks
  • Amitabh
    • Mar 2004

I don't think DB creation is possible without Cpanel, but yes, Table level manipultaion is definitely possible. You will need to install phpMyAdmin on your webspace.

Comment

• cathode
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Amitabh
      I don't think DB creation is possible without Cpanel, but yes, Table level manipultaion is definitely possible. You will need to install phpMyAdmin on your webspace.
      I have to give database access to a person to develop a tool on a website, but I really don't want to give them access to the actual cpanel. I'm assuming they need the database user and password, but phpMyAdmin? To log into that, they would have to have the cpanel credentials... I'm using the standard Dathorn cpanel setup.

Comment

• james
        • Mar 2004

I'm sure you could create the databases for them, and assign a username and password to each database.

It's also possible to install phpMyAdmin manually, completely separate from cpanel. This is quite simple to do, so maybe that's an option for your developer.

Comment

• Amitabh
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cathode
          I have to give database access to a person to develop a tool on a website, but I really don't want to give them access to the actual cpanel. I'm assuming they need the database user and password, but phpMyAdmin? To log into that, they would have to have the cpanel credentials... I'm using the standard Dathorn cpanel setup.
          You need to setup phpMyAdmin manually. Download (use wget) the latest stable version from http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/. Extract the files into a folder under your webroot. There is a configuration file in which you will need to change the database name, username, password and servername. That's it. YOu should now be able to access phpMyAdmin without going through Cpanel.

Comment

Working...