Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earthandspace.info
    • Jul 2004

Where Does Your Visitors Come From?

On my site, I get about 83 % via direct address and bookmarks and the rest 17% comes from search engines. So, where do you guys get your traffic? Do you rely on search engines or repeat visits?

My site has always been a word of mouth web site. This is moreso the fact now that it's getting more difficult to get a decent free listing. Speaking of such, Yahoo! is the only major directory where I have not been able to get listed. Since my site is non-profit, I can not justify spending $299.00 just for a decision. I'd rather spend that kind of money on neat "Gizmos" for the site LOL!
    Alpha Centauri's Universe

Exploring our universe from Earth to the most distant of galaxies!
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by earthandspace.info
    On my site, I get about 83 % via direct address and bookmarks and the rest 17% comes from search engines. So, where do you guys get your traffic? Do you rely on search engines or repeat visits?

My site has always been a word of mouth web site. This is moreso the fact now that it's getting more difficult to get a decent free listing. Speaking of such, Yahoo! is the only major directory where I have not been able to get listed. Since my site is non-profit, I can not justify spending $299.00 just for a decision. I'd rather spend that kind of money on neat "Gizmos" for the site LOL!
    You are listed in DMOZ, and I would think you could get a good Google ranking if other amature astronomy sites would exchange links with you.

Most of my visitors are from links on other sites, but Google does give me the largest secondary source of visits.

Comment

• nefadol
      • Mar 2004

According to my stats, 79.5% are from direct address or bookmarks, 6.4% search engines, and 14% are from links. 75.6% of my search engine visits are from Google, with Yahoo, MSN, and Dmoz following. Considering that Google is powered by Dmoz, those should be kinda combined.

I mainly rely on word of mouth. The site I'm using as reference is a free linkware graphics site, so I get links back if somebody uses my layouts or graphics. I'm also listed at different listings and participate in some link exchanges. On average I get around 200-300 visitors on that site, but it's taken around two years to get there.

Comment

• earthandspace.info
        • Jul 2004

Yahoo!

I was wondering if there is a better way to get listed on Yahoo!. I believe my chances would be better if I could write there corporate address or speak to someone in person.

I think what is happening is that they get such a large volume of request that the pool of requests gets dumped every so often. If one wants to know if Yahoo! viewed a site for review, just access the raw logs and find the IP for add.yahoo.com .

Comment

• Frank Hagan
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by nefadol
          According to my stats, 79.5% are from direct address or bookmarks, 6.4% search engines, and 14% are from links. 75.6% of my search engine visits are from Google, with Yahoo, MSN, and Dmoz following. Considering that Google is powered by Dmoz, those should be kinda combined.

I mainly rely on word of mouth. The site I'm using as reference is a free linkware graphics site, so I get links back if somebody uses my layouts or graphics. I'm also listed at different listings and participate in some link exchanges. On average I get around 200-300 visitors on that site, but it's taken around two years to get there.
          Interesting ... mine this month are 80.8% from direct address, 10.5% from search engines (Google is the leader, then MSN and Yahoo), and finally 8.5% from external links in other web pages. MSN and Yahoo still give me more traffic than the highest outside-link page, but it then gives me more than all the other search engines combined.

I was a little surprised to see MSN in second place in terms of the numbers of visitors, but I think MSN and even Yahoo use Google's search now, don't they?

Comment

• nefadol
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
            I was a little surprised to see MSN in second place in terms of the numbers of visitors, but I think MSN and even Yahoo use Google's search now, don't they?
            MSN is definately easier to get listed at. I remember a few years ago when they wanted to charge, but I think the success of Google has put a stop to that. I'm not sure if Google (that would be Dmoz though) powers them though.

I was wondering if there is a better way to get listed on Yahoo!. I believe my chances would be better if I could write there corporate address or speak to someone in person.
            I don't know how much that'll help you. Yahoo is not used nearly as much as it used to be, and I know that your position on Google goes by how many links to your site there are. That's the good thing about Google, you can't really buy a top spot (your site has to be popular on it's own merit).

Comment

• ChrisTech
              • Mar 2004

Hmm, for my forums (most active site I really do, rest are just things I started, and never finished (hehe)).

Direct address / Bookmarks 38.2 % (pages) 61.8 % (hits)
              Links from an Internet Search Engine 9.9% (pages) 5.4 % (hits)
              Links from an external page (other web sites except search engines) 51.7% (pages) 32.5% (hits)

Also, check out where your traffic is coming from (my top 6)
              1) USA
              2) Unknown (IP)
              3) Australia
              4) European Union
              5) Canada
              6) Mexico

Which accounts for close to 75% of my traffic alone. Helps point you to where you might look at gaining more users.
              Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2004

My suggestion is take the $300 and add another $100 to it and get a 80ED
                I dunno where most my traffic is coming from 99% my sites are started then never
                finished LOL. Only thing really "active" is my photo gallery.
                "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
                - C

Comment

• earthandspace.info
                  • Jul 2004

80ED

What is an 80ED? Enlighten me :-)

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2004

What is an 80ED? Enlighten me :-)
                    Thought u ran a website on Astro stuff? Its a type of Refractor. The glass
                    is high quality Apochromatic stuff. Not as good as Fluroight (sp?) mind you.
                    But still tons better than most refractors under the $700 mark.
                    I just bought a 80ED myself today along w/ a mount for it.

80ED Info (Celestron markets their vers. as a spotting scope)
                    Where 2buy a Celestron 80ED
                    Orion SVP EQ Mount
                    Polar scope 2help align the mount
                    Duel-axis drives to track for astrophotography
                    Solar Film 6"x6" sheet
                    75-300mm Zoom lens for wide-field shots
                    Kingston 1GB spare Compact Flash Card
                    Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch

Arrives on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday since each item came from
                    a different vendor + the SVP was used from a friend. Basically this will
                    be a DEDICATED astrophotography setup rig. I am using a dSLR for the camera.
                    Info on the camera / Where 2buy.
                    I use a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT aka 350D if you live in Europe.
                    Last edited by Jonathan; 08-23-2005, 11:05 PM.
                    - C

Comment

• earthandspace.info
                      • Jul 2004

Scope

I don't own a telescope :-( That's mostly because I live right in the heart of the DFW area. I'd have to drive out of the metroplex to get a half decent view. Now if I lived in a small town or had just a short drive to a good viewing sight, I'd be out shopping tomorow :-)

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2004

Light Pollution just makes it more of a challenge, not impossible.
                        I know someone in the MIDDLE OF BOSTON and still has observed
                        several "DSOs" or Dark Sky Objects. LP doesn't effect Planets, Lunar, or Solar viewing.
                        - C

Comment

• Amitabh
                          • Mar 2004

Though Air pollutions does affect it a lot. Try viewing it some place near Electrical utility plants, and you will see the effect.

BTW Jonathan, I have a Orion Astroviw 6 EQ with me, and a Nikon F-80(SLR) camera with me. Do you have an idea about what attachment should I buy, so that I can click some photographs using my camera( If I am not wrong, almost all Nikon cameras use Nikon F mount).

Comment

• Jonathan
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Amitabh
                            Though Air pollutions does affect it a lot. Try viewing it some place near Electrical utility plants, and you will see the effect.

BTW Jonathan, I have a Orion Astroviw 6 EQ with me, and a Nikon F-80(SLR) camera with me. Do you have an idea about what attachment should I buy, so that I can click some photographs using my camera( If I am not wrong, almost all Nikon cameras use Nikon F mount).
                            Is this the Astroview you mean? There are a few diff Orion "Astroview EQ"
                            packages... http://www.telescope.com/shopping/pr...dd=yes#tabLink
                            If so it is most likely you'll need a 2x barlow to reach focus which makes this
                            harder since it'd be more magnification = narrorer FOV = easier to make mistakes.
                            Aside from the barlow you'd need the following two pieces:

1. Either "#TAPP" or "#TADP" from here: http://scopestuff.com/ss_tadpt.htm
                            2. Camera to T-thread adapter for Nikon from same page
                            Scopestuff.com is pretty good and they offer int'l S&H.
                            - C

Comment

• Amitabh
                              • Mar 2004

Yes, I have the same model
                              No worries about int'l handling as I have someone coming next month from US. I would more likely order both #TAPP and #TADP, and the T-Ring. I would also go in for the 2x barlow, because I would have only one chance to get all the stuff.

BTW, how god are these motors?

Comment

Working...