X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

What are you looking for in a host???

I know this has been discussed before, but I am always looking for ways to improve our service that would benefit both existing and new customers.

PHP5 has been suggested which I would like to offer in addition to PHP4, but it just isn't feasible trying to run them both under suexec without complicating the situation and/or breaking things.

Ruby has also been suggested, but I really don't see enough interest in it general, let alone here. For us to maintain a piece of software like this across a lot of servers takes time in itself, if it's not going to be utilized there's not much desire to take the time doing it.

Dedicated servers are still being worked out. Hopefully we'll have some information soon.

Those things aside, what are you looking for? More cPanel themes? More autoinstallers? What?
  • KyleC
    • Mar 2004

I know this has been shot down before for the simple reason of processing power, server side automated spam filters. There are many commercial packages out there for linux. I currently use client side filtering, i have had my current email address for 8 years now, and despite being cautious, i get about 100 spams a day. However when I am away from my computer and I have to use webmail and wade through it all.

Otherwise I love dathorn, so so so reliable.

Thanks Andrew!
    -Kyle

Comment

• thewave
      • Feb 2005

Maybe a free or low cost site builder we could offer customers.

I know of a couple of Hosts that offer this to their resellers for free or $2-3 bucks per domain.

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

Spam is always a problem. I'm interested in that BoxTrapper filter (automated whitelist thingy) in cPanel with regard to spam.

I would like to see a little more up time on my server, I think you could squeeze out another couple thousandth of a precent? Come on you can do better than 99.997%?
        Last edited by Buddha; 09-07-2005, 02:57 PM. Reason: Intuitive spelling episode
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Jonathan
          • Mar 2004

Can I get free ultra-fast gaming DSL for my home?
          To be serious... I'd like to see PHP5. Not that interested in
          server-side spam filters, I prefer my own. Really...to be honest
          I am 150% satsified with the service, price, etc.
          "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
          - C

Comment

• bhills
            • Mar 2004

This is probably outside the scope of dathorn, but one thing that would be an excellent safety measure is automatic email notificaton anytime there is an update available for any of the auto-install programs offered in Cpanel.

Comment

• retro
              • Jun 2004

How about a different panel option for managing our accounts? I've got a VPS that uses Direct Admin and it just seems a lot less bloated and easier to navigate than cPanel. Also I've read many places that it uses less proc/RAM than cPanel.
              Denny Cave
              http://www.retrointeractive.com

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

We most certainly do not have plans to offer a different control panel. To truly understand software like cPanel takes lots of experience (for instance, knowing the bugs that are present). It's currently not feasible to offer the same quality of services with additional control panels as well.

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by bhills
                  This is probably outside the scope of dathorn, but one thing that would be an excellent safety measure is automatic email notificaton anytime there is an update available for any of the auto-install programs offered in Cpanel.
                  One thing we could do is post updates here in the announcements forum when the auto-installers are updated which would include a list of scripts whose versions have been upgraded.

Comment

• AndrewT
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2004

As for spam filtering, I refuse to do any filtering on e-mail that cannot be configured and disabled by the domain user. Which more or less means that it must work with cPanel as well. BoxTrapper may be an option.

Comment

• powvex
                      • Mar 2004

1-I love to see Windows Plans here, We want all our plans to be here.
                      2-Antivirus scan(just asking for EMAILS) to be installed, like Clamav. we have seen all others have this installed.
                      3-Have a vBulletion module installed that will show last 10 posted threads in the top of first page. I dont know its name, but we are using it over some other forums that is really good.
                      4-If any Java platform be installed, like TomCat or ...

Comment

• djn
                        • Mar 2004

Add my vote for PHP5!
                        Ok, if this ain't gonna happen anytime soon I'd settle with SQLite on PHP4 (and Ming, may I ask?).
                        Also, MySQL 4.1 has been around for a decent amount of time and I'd really need its Unicode support.
                        This last one is probably off topic, but bear with me. A long time ago I seem to remember there was a list of which module was installed with Apache and I can't find it anywhere. I get server errors when trying to use mod_headers, mod_expires or mod_speling: does this mean they aren't enabled?

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by powvex
                          1-I love to see Windows Plans here, We want all our plans to be here.
                          2-Antivirus scan(just asking for EMAILS) to be installed, like Clamav. we have seen all others have this installed.
                          3-Have a vBulletion module installed that will show last 10 posted threads in the top of first page. I dont know its name, but we are using it over some other forums that is really good.
                          4-If any Java platform be installed, like TomCat or ...

1. Not going to happen.

2. Possibly an option but doubtful. Most of our servers receive and send so many e-mails that it would be a huge impact on server performance to scan each one of them as well.

3. Go to Quick Links -> New Posts. Same results.

4. Could be a possibility.

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by djn
                            Add my vote for PHP5!
                            Ok, if this ain't gonna happen anytime soon I'd settle with SQLite on PHP4 (and Ming, may I ask?).
                            Also, MySQL 4.1 has been around for a decent amount of time and I'd really need its Unicode support.
                            This last one is probably off topic, but bear with me. A long time ago I seem to remember there was a list of which module was installed with Apache and I can't find it anywhere. I get server errors when trying to use mod_headers, mod_expires or mod_speling: does this mean they aren't enabled?
                            As for databases, we will stick with standard MySQL. At some point it will be upgraded to 4.1 but this upgrade is hard to reverse if need be so we are holding off on it. Those Apache modules have never been installed.

Comment

• earthandspace.info
                              • Jul 2004

RE: Service Options/Improvments

1. Definately consider dedicated servers!!
                              2. Consider having billing options such as quarterly pay, money orders, etc..
                              3. One thing that would be a great help is end-user support. So, if the reseller is not present, the mail could be forwarded to Dathorn.
                              Alpha Centauri's Universe

Exploring our universe from Earth to the most distant of galaxies!

Comment

Working...