X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by earthandspace.info
    1. Definately consider dedicated servers!!
    2. Consider having billing options such as quarterly pay, money orders, etc..
    3. One thing that would be a great help is end-user support. So, if the reseller is not present, the mail could be forwarded to Dathorn.
    1. On it as mentioned above.
    2+3. These simply will not be an option. Sorry.

Comment

• Byon
      • Mar 2004

Better support for security

I'd like to see better SSL / encryption support. I'd like it if neither I nor my customers had to send passwords unencrypted. I'm currently using SSL IMAP, and it works, but the server cert is expired, and Thunderbird complains. Also, the cert isn't tied to the specific machine, so TB also complains. Maybe each machine can have its own recognized cert, and everyone on that machine can use cpanelxx.gzo.com instead of mydomainname.com to connect to avoid the complaint. Also, I am going into ports 2087 and 2083 for secure WHM and cpanel, but they also complain for the same reasons. They do still work, however. SFTP is also not supported, so I have to send plaintext passwords for FTP also.

Thanks for asking.

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Byon
        I'd like to see better SSL / encryption support. I'd like it if neither I nor my customers had to send passwords unencrypted. I'm currently using SSL IMAP, and it works, but the server cert is expired, and Thunderbird complains. Also, the cert isn't tied to the specific machine, so TB also complains. Maybe each machine can have its own recognized cert, and everyone on that machine can use cpanelxx.gzo.com instead of mydomainname.com to connect to avoid the complaint. Also, I am going into ports 2087 and 2083 for secure WHM and cpanel, but they also complain for the same reasons. They do still work, however. SFTP is also not supported, so I have to send plaintext passwords for FTP also.

Thanks for asking.
        SFTP does work for many users, it must be setup properly. We do not provide support for this though.

Regarding the SSL certificates, self-signed certificates are a possibility but most browsers will complain about them as well. The bottom line is that real certificates require yearly fees and renewals when they aren't really providing much benefit for the cost.

Comment

• Fran
          • Apr 2004

Sounds good to me...

Originally posted by thewave
          Maybe a free or low cost site builder we could offer customers. I know of a couple of Hosts that offer this to their resellers for free or $2-3 bucks per domain.

I've noticed no reply to this idea and would like to add my voice in favor of investigating this option. The boxFilter is also of interest as are notifications of cPanel updates and new features.

Thanks Andrew for your renewed efforts in providing a continually improved product at reasonable cost.

- Fran

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Fran
            I've noticed no reply to this idea and would like to add my voice in favor of investigating this option. The boxFilter is also of interest as are notifications of cPanel updates and new features.

Thanks Andrew for your renewed efforts in providing a continually improved product at reasonable cost.

- Fran
            What exactly are you looking for in a SiteBuilder? There are plenty of software programs such as FrontPage that can create websites so that they simply need to be uploaded.

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2004

Yes but how many customers have FrontPage? On that same note how many
              people do we all know who has FP and thinks they're a ultra pro web designer

PS: no idea on actual ideas for wht sort of "Site buider" to use...
              "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
              - C

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

Pretty much everyone that has the MS Office suite has access to FrontPage. But then again that was just an example. Personally I've used a text editor for everything for so long that I obviously cannot provide any valid recommendations. In all likelihood, this probably won't be something that we will offer. But if you have specific software suggestions by all means let me know.

Comment

• powvex
                  • Mar 2004

more suggestions;

1- about backup solution; somepeople (including me) have about 20GB reseller plans, but their usage is much lower than it, like 2~3 GB in all of them. I think its not fair to pay for 20GB, could you do something about it? (I should mention when I get here we had FREE backup on all plans)
                  2-You can provide managing solutions for dedicated servers.
                  3-Where is dedicated servers that were planed to come in summer??

Comment

• AndrewT
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by powvex
                    more suggestions;

1- about backup solution; somepeople (including me) have about 20GB reseller plans, but their usage is much lower than it, like 2~3 GB in all of them. I think its not fair to pay for 20GB, could you do something about it? (I should mention when I get here we had FREE backup on all plans)
                    2-You can provide managing solutions for dedicated servers.
                    3-Where is dedicated servers that were planed to come in summer??

1. The backup system is not going to change. It simply is not feasible to monitor each individual account and charge them accordingly to actual backup disk usage every month.

2+3. Dedicated servers are still being worked on as per my original post. If we offer them though, it will likely be done so with very little management.

Comment

• Fran
                      • Apr 2004

Simplicity is the key...

Originally posted by AndrewT
                      What exactly are you looking for in a SiteBuilder? There are plenty of software programs such as FrontPage that can create websites so that they simply need to be uploaded.

A simple SiteBuilder would do the trick. I use Dreamweaver and a text editor, but most people don't want to use software even if it's free. I suppose that's why so many web developers are looking to get rich quick.

This service would be aimed at those with zero knowledge of html or what programs are available. It might be touted as low in cost (not $, but time and learning curve frustration) and highly results oriented.

Those desiring small static sites to establish an 'internet prescence' would be quite happy to 'do-it-themselves' using a template. The attraction is minimum time and effort.

Such sites have minimal impact on servers, so the area would appear to be promising for resellers. Minimal effort, great service, 24 hour prescence and all the other buzzwords - plus ease of use.

The hope would be that once they have a taste of what the web can do for them in this area, they would hire someone to increase the functionality and sophistication of their site. Again, back to the reseller, who of course would need additional and more enhanced services from Dathorn.

I've no idea what software might be available for the server to allow such site creation, but if it is offered by other hosts, Dathorn might consider it. That said, it also needs evaluation for server compatibility, etc., so not something to incorporate overnight

Thanks for listening.

- Fran

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2004

More that I think about it a EXIF parser would be really nice.
                        Not sure though if you already have it...
                        "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
                        - C

Comment

• rsowen
                          • Mar 2004

I'm going to toss in the vote, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." It is possible that for many us, you've already hit on the optimal balance between features, reliability, and price. More isn't always better; it could mean more things to break and more issues that confuse customers.

Comment

• mIDO
                            • Mar 2004

urchin

urchin? :P

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by mIDO
                              urchin? :P
                              We'd love to offer Urchin but right now cPanel doesn't have a way to enable it per domain. And since licensing is an additional cost per domain, that makes it kind of difficult. It's only a matter of time though.

Comment

• mIDO
                                • Mar 2004

cpskins in spanish pleaseeee

it's possible to enable the branding options in cpskins?

Comment

Working...