Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dis9080
    • Jan 2005

List Serv - what is available with Dathorn

I want to utilize a Listserv function , what is available via Dathorn?

Thx

Jeff Zoller
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Mailman is available but we do not recommend using it. I recommend using some sort of PHP script to handle what you need to do.

Comment

• dis1531
      • Sep 2004

Which PHP script recommended for listserv?

Andrew,

Do you have any scripts that you *would* recommend? And is there a rule of thumb as to the size of the list?

My example is like the guy who posted " E-Mail Listserves Setup" in a diff area.

2 lists, first one that is announcements from admins, only. All replies go to me. 1-2 messages per day usually. Usually without attachments.

second one, reply-to-list is default, All attachments are to be stripped. People are told up front not to attach anything. 1-6 messages per day usually.

Both in real time, except for half of the members in digest mode.
      ~30 - 50 in each list.

We currently use yahoogroups, but we've been uneasy with yahoo's privacy issues.

What memberlist size is probably OK?

thanks, Franko

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

The only script we've used is phpList but it was not used in any way similar to your needs. You would have to look into the options and features of the scripts that are available. There is no set limit on list size but if your list becomes so big that handling the e-mails causes performance problems you will be notified.

Comment

• brett
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by dis1531
          What memberlist size is probably OK?
          I wish there was an answer for this one as well. I used PHPList for a client. Unfortunately my notification came from my client with "There is a suspension page for our website. What happened?". Just a warning...

I forgot to mention, that If I had to do it again, I'd give this one a try. I've heard good things for Dada Mail:

Comment

• Warwick
            • Jun 2006

Dunno if this will get to anyone but here goes anyway...

I'm considering moving about 8 accounts to Dathorn. Several of them use listservs for communication. Typically, I manage the lists myself. The lists are closed and reject mail from non-members. Membership lists are updated maybe once every 6 months if then. Mailman has done well for me in the past. I'm wondering why you guys don't recommend it? I've googled it up and found several folks concerned about user passwords being exposed as they manage their accounts. If I'm managing the memberships and change my passwords FAR too often(weekly), then I beleive I'm working around that problem. Are there other concerns for mailman that I'm not aware of?

Originally posted by AndrewT
            Mailman is available but we do not recommend using it. I recommend using some sort of PHP script to handle what you need to do.

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

In general it is not as reliable as we would like it to be as far as working with cPanel.

Comment

• Warwick
                • Jun 2006

AH! Gotcha...I can manage the thing myself through the web interface(preferably) or directly through the shell if necessary. The folks that use these listservs are typically computer neophytes so they wouldn't know what to do with cpanel anyway.

If I use it, I'm on my own.

Comment

• Mark5000
                  • Mar 2004

I use Mailman and find it to be the best option for a discussion list. I have not found a PHP script that functions as a discussion list. Once the list is setup in cPanel, you can manage it via email commands.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                    • Mar 2004

Another vote for Mailman from me. I have two "family mail lists" set up as discussion lists, with usually light traffic but sometimes reaching 75 messages per day. It handles it well.

The only time I've ever had an account suspended was when I tried to make Mojo work as a discussion list; it was a disaster. Most of these lists are really mass emailers; Mailman at least has the configuration item to make it into a discussion list. Its the only one I know of.

Mailman can be installed via Cpanel OK, but you do have to do any maintenance or configuration from the native Mailman interface. The only disadvantage is that it really doesn't have good spam handling, so all the "messages from non members" are held for Admin approval. I get around that by setting the configuration to delete any messages held for approval over 24 hours. Otherwise spam messages will fill up your inbox.

Comment

• Elite
                      • Apr 2004

I use a hand coded php solution - You just need to remember to send your messages in a loop with a pause to avoid suspension. e.g. send a few messages, wait a few seconds then send some more...

Comment

• Denny
                        • Jun 2006

I had used Dada Mail on a client site a few months ago. It worked quite nicely as a discussion list once it was configured correctly (which did take a little tinkering...) We ended up switching back to mailman because they wanted messages to go out immediately and aside from running a cron job every minute there wasn't a good way to get Dada Mail to send out messages as soon as they arrived at the mailbox.
                        Denny Cave
                        Cave Interactive Media
                        http://caveim.com

Comment

• Warwick
                          • Jun 2006

Thanks everyone for your comments! This means alot in my decision to move away from my current host. It's been roughly 3 weeks sent I first submitted a trouble ticket to them and I have yet to hear a word back.

I'm in the middle of a physical move but once we get settled into new digs I'll be moving my business to dathorn if for no other reason than this community.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...