X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Preliminary Dedicated Server Pricing

Listed below is our preliminary dedicated pricing and options. Please post your opinions. All of these would be at The Planet and operate within the same network and DDoS protection that is used for our own shared hosting servers.

Each server includes a basic setup of cPanel/WHM with the latest kernel available and APF on Red Hat Enterprise. Only basic support is available, which would not include any modifications that the customer may have done to the server either by accident or on purpose. Additional support may be contracted at the rate of $30/hr as we deem necessary and as customer agrees to it (minimum of half an hour).

Extras
    cPanel/WHM with Fantastico - $24/month

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
    80GB Hard Drive
    1GB RAM
    8 IP Addresses
    1200GB Bandwidth
    100Mbps Uplink
    100 Urchin Profiles
    FREE SETUP
    $154/month

Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz
    2x80GB Hard Drives
    1GB RAM
    8 IP Addresses
    1200GB Bandwidth
    100Mbps Uplink
    100 Urchin Profiles
    FREE SETUP
    $214/month

Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz
    2x80GB Hard Drives
    1GB RAM
    11 IP Addresses
    2000GB Bandwidth
    100Mbps Uplink
    300 Urchin Profiles
    40GB Network Backup
    FREE SETUP
    $249/month

Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz
    2x73GB SCSI Hard Drives
    1GB RAM
    11 IP Addresses
    2000GB Bandwidth
    100Mbps Uplink
    300 Urchin Profiles
    40GB Network Backup
    FREE SETUP
    $299/month
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Everyone was asking for dedicated servers and no one has any opinions?

Comment

• Andy
      • Mar 2004

I think you layed it out pretty good. I have no use for a Ded. server but if I did, I would consider here thats for sure.

I would be wondering if you would be offering "managed" services as well.

Like I said, I have no use for a ded. server, (at this time) but if I did, I would need someone to manage it. Pretty much what you do for the servers now would be good.

Would you consider offering a service like that?
      Andy

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

Full server management is not really something that we want to get into. A lot of the stuff we do use is custom developed software and providing this on customer's managed servers could potentially lead to problems. If additional work or help is needed it can be contracted at $30/hr. With a dedicated server a customer can do anything they wish to it and cause any number of problems, there is no feasible way to provide a flat fee management service that wouldn't include a huge list of exceptions to the management.

Comment

• ChrisTech
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
          Everyone was asking for dedicated servers and no one has any opinions?
          If it were a managed solution, or semi-managed (ie. 2 hours of admin labor per month or such) I'd say its a good plan/idea. I know about doing admin work, I know enough to be dangerous *grin* but not enough to want to admin my own server.

If I knew there would be support for me when I screwup and update cpanel and cpanel decides to give me the finger (ie not work) that someone could help me with it, I would be all for it. Even at higher prices. It's the sense of security that I get @ Dathorn that I really like. Uptimes are great, security updates go in place when they are needed, any issues get resolved fast. Just some of us require or start to require more "powerful" solutions for our ever growing websites/forums/ect.
          Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Buddha
            • Mar 2004

You know I thought this was in "Announcements" when I first read it.

Pricing looks about the same as ThePlanet. It's the definition of "basic support" that concerns me too? What's that include? If it's at ThePlanet do we get an Orbit account? (I wouldn't imagine so.) Or are we going through Dathorn for those features like manual reboot and OS reloads?
            "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• powvex
              • Mar 2004

as the price is a bit higher than SM (that where I think your ded. server is), I think you should provide something as extra, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by powvex
                as the price is a bit higher than SM (that where I think your ded. server is), I think you should provide something as extra, correct me if I'm wrong.

He is, maybe just not what we all want.
                But..

All of these would be at The Planet and operate within the same network and DDoS protection that is used for our own shared hosting servers.

Each server includes a basic setup of cPanel/WHM with the latest kernel available and APF on Red Hat Enterprise. Only basic support is available, which would not include any modifications that the customer may have done to the server either by accident or on purpose. Additional support may be contracted at the rate of $30/hr as we deem necessary and as customer agrees to it (minimum of half an hour)
                Dathorn's ddos protection and their network (private vlan prolly), and cheap support. $30 an hour vs what SM/TP charges (its a steal!).

Though I can still wish for a "managed" solution, or "semi-managed" (ie. 2 hours admin time bundled with monthly cost) for a bit higher price. But most of that is up to Dathorn/Andrew, as we don't want to overextend him or Dathorn support, and hurt the support for the reseller accounts (eeek!).
                Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• justoneguy
                  • Jul 2005

I would think that a lot of people who are already Dathorn customers aren't into server administration. I know when I am ready to move off shared servers, it'll be to a fully managed vps or semi-dedicated. Maybe when others said they wanted a dedicated server option, it really should have been fully managed dedicated option.

Comment

• AndrewT
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2004

The only feasible way to fully "manage" these servers as we do our own would be to not allow the customer root access and just give them WHM reseller access as we do now. Would anyone be interested in this? It may require up to a $20/month additional cost. If you actually look at the pricing, our first 2 are actually a bit cheaper than SM. The last two may change.

Comment

• sparkmarker
                      • Jun 2004

The only feasible way to fully "manage" these servers as we do our own would be to not allow the customer root access and just give them WHM reseller access as we do now. Would anyone be interested in this? It may require up to a $20/month additional cost.
                      I may be interested in this. I don't really need to have root access. If at some point I had to install something that did require root, could I have you take care of it? This service would not have to be included in the price, I'd be happy to pay the support fee to have it done.

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sparkmarker
                        I may be interested in this. I don't really need to have root access. If at some point I had to install something that did require root, could I have you take care of it? This service would not have to be included in the price, I'd be happy to pay the support fee to have it done.
                        It would depend on what you needed installed really.

Comment

• Andy
                          • Mar 2004

I would pay $20 a month more for a managed server.

If i ever need a ded. server, and you offer "fully managed service" I would take it.
                          Andy

Comment

• halyfax
                            • Mar 2004

The only feasible way to fully "manage" these servers as we do our own would be to not allow the customer root access and just give them WHM reseller access as we do now. Would anyone be interested in this? It may require up to a $20/month additional cost. If you actually look at the pricing, our first 2 are actually a bit cheaper than SM. The last two may change.

I love the concept of a managed dedicated server. But it is quite a $$ jump to go from the shared account to a full ded account, not that it isn't worth the money. (The jump is from $40.50 to $154 + $50 for whm/cpanel and managment)

I would like to have a step inbetween that is more like a managed VPS or managed semi dedicated. Any thing around $100? Just google managed vps and you have all kinds of choices between $50 and $100. Don't get me wrong, I know none of these sites probably offer the same great support as here but it gives you an idea of the inbetween market, and seems like a good first step out of the shared server market.

I find quite a few people want a managed option that is less shared so their account is not affected when someone else uses excessive resources. PErsonally I do not need root access at the moment, and I don't see needing it in the future.
                            Last edited by halyfax; 10-03-2005, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

VPS options have already been explored, we have no plans to offer them.

Comment

Working...