Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • halyfax
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
    VPS options have already been explored, we have no plans to offer them.
    IF there is no inbetween then I cannot see myself jumping from $40 to $200 a month. Maybe way down the road after I have a couple $40 accounts and need to upgrade. I have no plans on leaving Dathorn so I will stick w/ shared

thanks Andrew

Comment

• Buddha
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Andy
      I would pay $20 a month more for a managed server.

If i ever need a ded. server, and you offer "fully managed service" I would take it.
      Ditto.
      "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• powvex
        • Mar 2004

still can get 3.2 HT for $149Mon + $99setup or $169 nosetup from SM, and dont see whats the benefit of getting 2.8 for higher price from dathorn.

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by powvex
          still can get 3.2 HT for $149Mon + $99setup or $169 nosetup from SM, and dont see whats the benefit of getting 2.8 for higher price from dathorn.
          It is not a higher price, it is $154/month with $0 setup.

Comment

• earthandspace.info
            • Jul 2004

RE: Dedicated Server

I can see in a few years from now as needing a dedicated server for my web site. As far as prices go, they seem reasonable to me. I've seen cheaper at the like of CI HOST, etc.... Honestly, you get what you pay for. So, as long as the service and support response times stay spit and polish, those prices are right about what they should be.

I'm assuming these will be at least "Semi Managed" servers. In other words, the servers will be managed up to a point when the customer screws it up or requires custom jobs or modifications.
            Alpha Centauri's Universe

Exploring our universe from Earth to the most distant of galaxies!

Comment

• ph23man
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
              The only feasible way to fully "manage" these servers as we do our own would be to not allow the customer root access and just give them WHM reseller access as we do now. Would anyone be interested in this? It may require up to a $20/month additional cost. If you actually look at the pricing, our first 2 are actually a bit cheaper than SM. The last two may change.
              Just to add some feedback, this would be something I would be very interested in when I need a dedicated server. I'm comfortable with the way the servers are being managed now and the services provided so it would be great to see that scaled up to dedicated offerings. Basically, I'm interested in a server that is configured exactly the way your current servers are configured and then have you perform updates, security patches, etc. as you would on say, cpanel04. I'm more interested in selling and marketing hosting services and don't-want-to/can't manage a server. I'd be definitely willing to pay the extra fee.

But I would also suggest having both unmanaged and managed offerings, as some people may want more advanced control of the server for whatever purposes.

Also, I just found this thread and had no idea it was even here. I mainly only come to the forum when there's an announcement. Perhaps making this thread more prominent would garner more attention.

Comment

• anguz
                • Mar 2004

I may need a dedicated server in the future. I also don't want to leave Dathorn, so this would be my choice. I keep finding other people having trouble with their hosts and I keep being happy about not worrying with that since Dathorn was created.

I agree that there may be those that know how to deal with a server, but I'm not one, so I would also choose the option to have it managed by you, even if I don't have more powers. It'd be for me like my current service, but on a much larger scale resources-wise. On the other hand, if I need to make special adjustments, they wouldn't be happening all the time, so paying the extra fee for your services is fine.

I didn't reply here earlier cause I hadn't noticed the topic. I mostly come to the forum when there's an announcement topic or update.

Comment

• russgriechen
                  • Nov 2005

Need Mod_php

I will need to use php as an Apache module (mod_php), as opposed
                  to running PHP under CGI because I want to run an automated installer.
                  If I have no choice but to run my software under CGI, I will have to follow
                  the manual installation procedure
                  The only other option would be to develop a few bash scripts to download and manipulate the databases, which are shared in most instances.

Has anyone used such a script.
                  Drupal's automated installs do not work on on CGI?

Comment

• schmeg007
                    • Jun 2004

I would prefer an account with no root access since I have absolutely zero experience as a server administrator. I'm curious if you would consider offering more features/support for an additional $40, $60, $100/ month?

I'd also like to know about backup solutions for these servers. I see that some plans offer two hard drives and I assume you will have the standard upgrade options for more RAM and HDs. How much would it be to have those drives put into a RAID 1 plus an offsite drive that had incremental backups?

For me the only thing I really care about is that my site stays up and if the sky falls I can get my data back.

Comment

• AndrewT
                      Administrator
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by schmeg007
                      I would prefer an account with no root access since I have absolutely zero experience as a server administrator. I'm curious if you would consider offering more features/support for an additional $40, $60, $100/ month?

I'd also like to know about backup solutions for these servers. I see that some plans offer two hard drives and I assume you will have the standard upgrade options for more RAM and HDs. How much would it be to have those drives put into a RAID 1 plus an offsite drive that had incremental backups?

For me the only thing I really care about is that my site stays up and if the sky falls I can get my data back.
                      Additional custom options can always be added (for a price, obviously). At first we will likely have to basic options: one giving you root access and we provide only basic support, and the other where you just get reseller WHM access like our reseller accounts, and we take care of the server like our own.

Comment

• sparkmarker
                        • Jun 2004

Any idea when you will start offering servers? Will it be soon? I am ready for a dedicated server and would really prefer to stay with Dathorn.

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

Right now we're working on many different things and our shared hosting customers are taking priority. Dedicated servers will be available as soon as humanly possible.

Comment

• ergo
                            • Feb 2006

i would be interested in a dedicated in some time ( without root ) , it should be enough for me to have whm to create packages and manage users i think. the only thing i would like to have installed would be an icecast server or other solution for streaming ogg. you arent planning to launch maybe some cheaper ded's like with athlons 64 ? or something similiar ?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinlulek - my linkedIn profile - please check out
                            Freelance professional webdeveloper for hire - XHTML, CSS2, PHP 5 , SOON PYTHON, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Ajax & Javascript [ using yahooUI and dojotoolkit for ajax work ], database performance optimisation, security audits. - contact me , get work done the way it should be.

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ergo
                              you arent planning to launch maybe some cheaper ded's like with athlons 64 ? or something similiar ?
                              Not at this time.

Comment

• anastas
                                • Aug 2004

I am ready for a dedicated server as well!

I have acutally been looking for one outside of Dathorn. There are a lot out there but I would probably prefer to stay with Dathorn as well.

I am looking for a way to install custom software on a dedicated server, but I would also like the majority of the installations and setup to be done by Dathorn because otherwise I would have to spend a lot of time relearning what Dathorn alrready knows "semi-managed hosting".

What would be important to me is some way to get the cost of the dedicated servers down to under $100/month, maybe by using an annual payment option? and reducing the hard drive space or something like that? Another way would possibly be to pay upfront more for the hardware to keep the monthly cost down? for a Dedicated/Colocation hosting?

Comment

Working...