Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisTech
    • Mar 2004

IPB Errors since SQL has been upgraded

Im on cpanel08 and noticing diff. sql errors on my Invision Power Board (older version 1.x) Several functions will produce sql errors now unfortunally (clicking on link to see newest posts, attempting to edit a post, and add more data to it). Submitting a trouble ticket to see if there is a resolution for it. I'd really hate to loose my forums with 27k posts on it.
    Last edited by ChrisTech; 09-30-2005, 05:06 PM.
    Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ChrisTech
    I'd really hate to loose my forums with 27k posts on it.
    Ouch. No backup?

I have a feeling a lot of us will be working this weekend.

*crossing fingers and hoping for the best*
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• ChrisTech
      • Mar 2004

Seems older installs of IPB isn't supported under the newer version of mysql. ;,(

Gonna have to try to find a way to upgrade to a diff. type of board, if I can convert my database. If not, I guess I will attempt to host it off my dedi (no cpanel, so that will be a feat for me)

Comment

• ChrisTech
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
        Ouch. No backup?

I have a feeling a lot of us will be working this weekend.

*crossing fingers and hoping for the best*

I have backups. That's not a problem. Last time I did a slight change, I lost about 15k posts on said forum. And had to restart from scratch. And the time before that, when I first moved from a crappy host, to Dathorn, other host screwed me, and my sql db was badly damaged, and lost around 7k posts then.

I don't know if SMF or vbullentin will allow me to import a database from IPB 1.2 final (great forums for low cpu usage, & it was well patched).

I'd rather not have to pay for the forums software, but if I have to I will, just not to those @ IPB (Matt M. grrr!). Just afraid for my usage on it (how many ppl at once it will handle before I'm asked to find a VPS/Dedi)

**well, Im looking into Vbullentin 3.5 Gold now. I've been wanting to upgrade to it, but felt I didn't have the $$ for it, or the justification with the forums working fine. So I guess I got the kick in the pants to get it going. Though it would of been better if it had waited til early next week. Gotta work on some software tonite (making DOS scale software (for a quarry) work in XP and networkable in XP) then work tomorrow, then to fix my grandfather's PC before he heads out to AZ next week. Joyful. I think I will wait til sunday to sleep. hehe...

PS - If anyone here runs Vbullentin forums, and wouldn't mind helping, or words of encouragement, speak up or pm me. I think I could use them shortly.
        Last edited by ChrisTech; 09-30-2005, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Grunfeld
          • Mar 2004

Looks like I will be joining you as I am running an older version of IPB... so we may be sharing secrets.... I to will pay anybody BUT IPB...... as I did that for an upgrade and also gave them a huge database to convert and were did it get me .... nowhere...
          Cheers,

Gary
          (This space for rent)

Comment

• ChrisTech
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Grunfeld
            Looks like I will be joining you as I am running an older version of IPB... so we may be sharing secrets.... I to will pay anybody BUT IPB...... as I did that for an upgrade and also gave them a huge database to convert and were did it get me .... nowhere...
            I'm having a buddy who does sql / php stuff, (programmer guy) take a look at it with me right now. Working on to see if it can be fixed. He claims it should be able to, so we will see here shortly...oh, his msn is blinking...

he told me "prob corrupted the key file"

Im still lost, he's lost. Im gonna eat, then prolly buy vb.
            Last edited by ChrisTech; 09-30-2005, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• ChrisTech
              • Mar 2004

Hmm, well I do have IPB 2.0 from before it was "pay". Wonder if I can't just "update" and have it work, it already doesnt work as is...

Comment

• ZYV
                • Sep 2005

Guys, I remember when I upgraded the IPB 1.3 to mySQL 4.1 from mySQL 4.0 on my own ded. server I have run into a lot of troubles. The first was that my forum was in Russian and I had to set the collation to cp1251_cs or cp1251_ci to get the things like search and sortings to work correctly..

Another problem was that Matt is a complete dork and often uses acronyms which might cause problems in future. In older versions of IPB he's got the brilliant idea for SELECT's like "SELECT blablabla FROM ipb_moderators as mod, foo as bar WHERE mod.id=foo.quux". MOD is a reserved keyword since mySQL 4.1 and means modulus so above becomes an invalid query. What I did was a bunch of auto-replaces like "mod." to "mdr." and so on. Do not remember if there were other reserved keywords which interfered with the new mySQL 4.1.

PM me Chris with your email or ICQ or AIM if you will still need some assistance by the time I get back from work (within 10-15 hours).

he told me "prob corrupted the key file"
                Complete trash. Look, I'll try to get it to you: the PHP engine didn't change, mySQL did. So the problem is the SQL queries incompatibility.

Hmm, well I do have IPB 2.0 from before it was "pay". Wonder if I can't just "update" and have it work, it already doesnt work as is...
                Never tried to set this up on a mySQL 4.1 server. But if there are queries as mentinned above this won't work either.

P.S. Don't panic! Several hours of downtime are nothing compared to the age of the universe and the fatal eternity
                Last edited by ZYV; 09-30-2005, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                  • Mar 2004

lol I already purchased vb, since Ive been wanting to get away from ipb, and before I just didnt have that extra "kick" to get going on it.

Just think I missed VB's sales staff by a mere few minutes...so I may have to wait til monday morning (hope not).

I will be at work in about 10 hours, I can work on it then, no biggie, but tomorrow afternoon I will be out in BFE, where there is only wireless internet, that goes at about 4x the speed of dialup (hate usin it, but its all there is).

--
                  **nm, user error *grins, its late, Im tired...lol
                  Last edited by ChrisTech; 09-30-2005, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• jobe
                    • Oct 2004

Since the upgrade - I'm on 22 - I have errors on my Moodle installations.

e.g. Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/XX/public_html/ZZZ/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 2689

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/XX/public_html/ZZZ/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:2689) in /home/XX/public_html/ZZZ/lib/setup.php on line 284

apparently this is a common problem in server upgrades & there is the following fix:

We have changed line 2475 in the moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php file from

function &GetAssoc($force_array = false, $first2cols = false)

to

function GetAssoc($force_array = false, $first2cols = false)
                    Last edited by jobe; 10-01-2005, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                      • Mar 2004

Somewhat of an update. Bought VB 3.5.0 Gold and working on installing them (fun). Decided to just dump the older forums, looks like many things would be broken on the import (due to older version). Moved older forums to another subdomain, so I can copy/paste some older threads that will be needed. Most of the threads can be lost. I will just suck it up, and live with.

I must say, VB 3.5.0 Gold has a buttload more options than IPB did...wow! I'm quite impressed.

Comment

• ZYV
                        • Sep 2005

ChrisTech, you're really impressive.
                        Ah well, the forums don't work.. eh I gonna buy VB then, always wanted to.. Err.. Have to dump all the older threads.. Ah well, gotta suck it up.
                        My personal opinion is that VB isn't that good comparing to the IPB 2.2. I have worked with VB 3.2, well the coding style is horrible in my opinion, I wish never had to dig into the sources, then I just don't like the way it looks like and the way the administration part looks like. I know someone who has been using IPB 1.3, then dropped it and switched to VB 3.x, then switched back to IPB 2 even though his licence was yet expired. Have you heard of http://www.olate.com ?

Anyway, congratulations with the purchase. Hope that'll work better on Dathorn.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZYV
                          ChrisTech, you're really impressive.
                          My personal opinion is that VB isn't that good comparing to the IPB 2.2. I have worked with VB 3.2, well the coding style is horrible in my opinion, I wish never had to dig into the sources, then I just don't like the way it looks like and the way the administration part looks like. I know someone who has been using IPB 1.3, then dropped it and switched to VB 3.x, then switched back to IPB 2 even though his licence was yet expired. Have you heard of http://www.olate.com ?

Anyway, congratulations with the purchase. Hope that'll work better on Dathorn.
                          A good protion of the forums could be lost, and I wouldn't care. There is just some that needs to be kept. I messed up doing some pruning on the old forums before, so some stuff was slightly messed up. *grin*

I haven't had a chance to work with anything IPB 2.x I used the 2.0 full (what I had before it was paid) for a short time on a site for an online game some friends played. It seemed really bloated to me, compared to what I used (IPB 1.2 Final). The VB 3.5.0 Gold, seems to have many options that I was lacking before. It's kinda like going from windows 3.1 up to windows 2000 pro. (or even my fun jump of win 3.1 to win nt 4.0 workstation/server) (ie. big jump). Invision had closed all their forums before (now open again) so I never was able to read/research on their forums about it. I just got the leased license for VB for the year, cost what I got paid for working on a laptop last week, so no big deal moneywise. *grin*

Never heard of olate.com
                          My traffic rank on Alexa.com is 637,491 - Don't really care much about search engines. It's mainly all for fun. I'm not selling anything, I don't have ads on my site. We do help promote artists, but its all for fun/free.

Also, importing that old of a database, according to VB, using their tool, I could loose up to 50% of my content/settings. Might as well restart, and just repost some stuff, rather than spend a buttload of time fixing this, and that, and whatever else doesn't work right. I setup a different subdomain for the old forums, and made it so noone can sign up, and noone can post. Just "archived" for now.

Comment

• Buddha
                            • Mar 2004

Good luck Chris ...

PS I think Tampa Bay just won.
                            "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• ChrisTech
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
                              Good luck Chris ...

PS I think Tampa Bay just won.
                              Going fairly well so far. Only thing I really wish, is VB would have a seperator for the darn sticky posts. Similar to what IPB had. IPB did "Important Topics" seperate from "Forum Topics". Im sure there is a hack around somewhere for it, just need to dig it up. Once again, soooooooo many options.

Comment

Working...