Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaCurryman
    • Mar 2004

Connecting to MySQL over SSH

So I have a forum installed on my site and I need to index the posts to speed up the search process. Since I have too many posts to index over the web, they recommended doing it over SSH. The following are the instructions they provided:

Step 1: Initiate mysql
    In shell type:

mysql -u{your_sql_user_name} -p{your_sql_password}

Step 2: Select your database
    In mysql type:

use {your_database_name_here};
    Make sure you use a trailing semi-colon.

Step 3: Indexing the topics table
    In mysql type:

\g alter table ibf_topics add fulltext(title);
    If you are not using 'ibf_' as your table extension, adjust that query to suit. This query can take a while depending on the number of topics you have.

Step 4: Indexing the posts table
    In mysql type:

\g alter table ibf_posts add fulltext(post);
    If you are not using 'ibf_' as your table extension, adjust that query to suit. This query can take a while depending on the number of posts you have. On average MySQL can index 80,000 posts an hour. If you are using MySQL 4, the time is greatly reduced.
    I get caught up at Step 1. I opened a SSH connection to my server and typed in:

mysql -u{mysql_username} -p{mysql_password}

and received an error ( yes I filled out the actual values inside the {} ). The error I received was:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user '{forums_ketan}'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I even tried redoing the syntax to:

mysql -u mysql_username -p mysql_password

And that gave me basically the same error:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'forums_ketan'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

If anyone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here, I would be greatly obliged!!
  • DaCurryman
    • Mar 2004

Nevermind... I was able to port forward through SSH and then use MySQL Query Browser to execute the SQL statements. Thanks for viewing tho.

Comment

Working...