Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Shepherd
    • Jun 2004

Bandwidth / space "specials"

So, first there was a "double your bandwidth for $5" deal. So lots of us jumped on that.

Then, it was "double your bandwidth and space for $5" but no, we won't double your bandwidth again if you gave us $5 before; sorry, you shoulda waited it out!

And dathorn has updated plans to remain competitive. . .so, new accounts get it for free; while loyal customers have to pay $5 extra just to get the same numbers as new customers get!

This just seems like a cheap way to milk existing customers for more cash. If a user signed up for a basic plan a year ago when it was 2 gb of space and 30 gb of bandwidth, and then dathorn ups the values to 4 gb / 30 gb to "remain competitive", those upgrades should be applied to all existing customers automatically. But nope, if you're an existing customer, you have to pay extra to get your account "upgraded" to what it's supposed to be.

I don't get it. . .
  • Monolith
    • Aug 2005

I have to say im kind of dissapointed that those of us who took advantage of the last special cant do so again.

Even if the one-time $5 charge isnt economically feasible, then perhaps a nominal increase in monthly cost could be an option for people who already did the $5 upgrade.

In a perfect world, customers would simply be happy with any "extras" offered by a company... but realistically, once you go down that road, people are going to start expecting that kind of treatment for the long-run. It's human nature.

Comment

• Buddha
      • Mar 2004

I caught that last $5 special. It was an expense that's been recouped ... uhm ... actually it's been recouped several times since that special. Sort of on a monthly basis.

Some of us are better at milking than others I guess.

Thanks Andrew!
      "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Grunfeld
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Lone Shepherd
        So, first there was a "double your bandwidth for $5" deal. So lots of us jumped on that.

Then, it was "double your bandwidth and space for $5" but no, we won't double your bandwidth again if you gave us $5 before; sorry, you shoulda waited it out!

And dathorn has updated plans to remain competitive. . .so, new accounts get it for free; while loyal customers have to pay $5 extra just to get the same numbers as new customers get!

This just seems like a cheap way to milk existing customers for more cash. If a user signed up for a basic plan a year ago when it was 2 gb of space and 30 gb of bandwidth, and then dathorn ups the values to 4 gb / 30 gb to "remain competitive", those upgrades should be applied to all existing customers automatically. But nope, if you're an existing customer, you have to pay extra to get your account "upgraded" to what it's supposed to be.

I don't get it. . .
        Where have ou been living.... exisiting customers don;t automatically get upgrades on anything.... cellphones, subway passaengers, car owners....
        You can always think about ways to "play" the game and get the one time advantage....
        Cheers,

Gary
        (This space for rent)

Comment

• Frank Hagan
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Lone Shepherd

I don't get it. . .
          What do you think it costs Dathorn to upgrade an account? Or do you think they can upgrade an account without incurring any cost themselves? $5 or $10 is a very small price to pay for a change to an account.

Comment

• Ian
            • Mar 2004

Hey this is capitalism. People aren't in this to give things away for free.

Think of the computer. You buy one, but oh, if only you had waited 2 months it would have been 400 dollars cheaper!.

There will always be a new deal/better price around the corner.
            www.ianhoar.com - A place to geek out

Comment

• Denver Dave
              • Sep 2004

I'm stangely not sure how to find this post in Customer opinions that I just created, so here's the link:
              I realize that different resellers want different things. I have reseller accounts with 4 hosting companies and except for this week, Dathorn was my 2nd most favorite account even though it is the cheapest. I thought I'd start a discussion on this topic because I've wondered if some of my needs may be contrary to Dathorn

I realize that specials are good for some (I subtract points), what I want is good performing reliable hosting.

Comment

• inztinkt
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Denver Dave
                what I want is good performing reliable hosting.
                then uve found ure solution, yes thats right Dathorn, welcome and enjoy ure stay
                <!-- // Blah! // -->

Comment

• ilyas
                  • Mar 2005

I still wonder if all of the accounts are upgraded.

I mean... do former customers -who didn't pay the 5 $- have upgraded accounts too?

Comment

Working...