Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easiest way for my client to get webmail?

Quote Originally Posted by Amitabh
    Once this has been successfully completed, try browsing http://<your_domain>/webmail to check the installation. I haven't tried out the exact steps on a dathron server, but it has worked for me elsewhere.
    So, will I have to do this same thing for every domain I set up, or should it then work on all of my hosted domains? I did do this, and it seems to work, but I don't want to have to do it for every domain...

It won't work on all domains by default, though you don't need to follow all the steps outlined here. Execute these lines on the domain which already has Squirrelmail installed. SSH into the domain:
    Code:
    -jailshell-2.05b$ cd www

-jailshell-2.05b$ tar -cf webmail.tar webmail

-jailshell-2.05b$ gzip webmail.tar
    Now on every machines that you need to install the webmail, you need to ssh into the machines and execute the following commands:
    Code:
    -jailshell-2.05b$ cd www

-jailshell-2.05b$ wget http://<your_domain_with_webmail>/webmail.tar.gz

-jailshell-2.05b$ tar -zxvf webmail.tar.gz
    This should be it. You should now have a working copy of the squirrelmail installation on the new domain.

Dynamic subdomains? it is possible with Dathorn service? Can you provide some details?

Pedja, well, haven't really tried all that exactly, but I am sure that's possible, at least if you use your own DNS servers. I currently have a site hosted here and I use my own custom DNS servers. I've made a wildcard A record for *.mydomain.net and have it pointing to the IP of my main account. Currently cPanel doesn't recognize it, but probably he found some workaround. The rest of this is quite simple. Just set up some RewriteRules and here you are.

Now back to the topic. Personally, I have used NOCC webmail ( http://nocc.sourceforge.net/ ) and was quite happy about it. It can do all the normal tasks like reading inbox, showing messages, writing replies and so on, EASY to use for non-tech savvy persons like gals, is EXTREMLY easy to set up and SKIN and is very small (200 kb unpacked!) comparing to those HORDE and squirrelmail monsters. I would say an ideal solution for someone looking for a SMALL and EASY webmail.

Actually, on the next domain I set up, it did work and I didn't have to go through the steps again. I just had to set up a new email login.

Hope it keeps working!

Thread Information