• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

A stupid question for those w/ non-web jobs

Okay I work at a Grocery chain called Food Lion. Started out
    bout 4mo ago as a bagger right? Now I'm fully trained as a
    cashier minus a few things I don't "normally" get (Eg cashing a check).
    I've also pulled stock shifts and helped in produce and grocery depts.
    during slow days. I am now being trained in the office which means
    now I can do overrides, get $ out of the safe, counting registers, counting
    the safe, etc. (Well only can do first 3 so far LOL) And I know I must
    be seen as reliable and dependable 'cause I am never more than 5mins
    late and always with a valid reason; I've been called in nearly every
    Sunday for the last few weeks; and now today the ast. grocer manager
    called me to ask if I could come in and pull a stock shift and help get
    stuff off the shelves 'cause of the hurricane and/or tropical storm we got.

So adding this all up - does $6.40/hr (just over FL min. wage) sound
    "fair"? Should I ask for a raise already or wait til I've been there
    for six months? Or just wait til I finish my office training?
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C
  • Fran
    • Apr 2004

Surprise Them

Originally posted by Jonathan
    So adding this all up - does $6.40/hr (just over FL min. wage) sound "fair"? Should I ask for a raise already or wait til I've been there for six months? Or just wait til I finish my office training?
    'Opinion' = It seems you're getting a lot of training and being assigned progressively more difficult tasks with more authority and responsibility and you're earning your pay by expanding your duties. If you are given 'overtime' pay, you're already being compensated correctly under the "it all pays the same" motto.

In the industries I'm familiar with (aerospace and industrial manufacturing), we do not give raises before an employee is with us for 12 months. A service industry however may well be different. Depending on your assigned job level, a promotion normally carries a pay increase.

'Suggestion' = Regardless of whether this will be a part time deal or you're going to make a career of it, ask your boss for a few minutes to talk. Let him (her) know you're interested in learning what (s)he thinks your performance level has been and how you can improve on areas you now don't have expertise in and what the options for career development are. I'm willing to bet (s)he'll be a bit surprised you've taken an initiative at 4 months and if (s)he's a good supervisor, they'll help you to understand what's next. BUT - do your homework first - look up the company on the web and see what sort of benefits they offer in their hiring ads, etc.

During that conversation, you should ask what the typical performance review schedule is and the average raise. You'll also be VERY interested in what the company policies are for assistance with educational expenses (We reimburse books, course fees, provide an hour per week paid study time and upon graduation - a nice chunk of company stock for example.) Lastly, ask about other benefits you have questions about (health care or whatever.)

Make your last subject deal with when your supervisor would like you to come in again and discuss your progress so you can make adjustments to better suit your development and the interests of the company (maybe 6 months?).

Be interested in the company and they'll likely be interested in you.<sermon />

- Fran

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

Fran gives good advice, so I only have a few things to add. My perspective is as a manager of 18 people:

6 months is probably the right timing if you feel you are advancing faster than others. Remember that the manager doesn't want to hear someone whine about how they think they are worth more (everyone is), or how they have been doing a lot more and the company is ripping them off (everyone, including your manager, feels that way). In the end, the manager has his own needs, and you have to find a way to show him you and he can team up to fulfill them. One way to approach it is to use the "sandwich" technique, putting something the manager wants to hear on either side of the request:

"I am really enjoying learning so many new things here, it makes me feel like I am progressing. What is the normal way people advance into more responsibility and pay? I like this place a lot."

You have to find your own wording that fits, and is sincere, otherwise the BS meter goes off. At six months, you probably don't want to be much more specific than that. And you may have to be patient, as s/he may have to deal with a HR department that has its own rules. But there is nothing a manager likes more than to hear someone say he's happy, and wants to do more to earn more.

(There does come a time when you can register your dissatisfaction, and say you need a raise or you will leave, but that's not at six months!)

Comment

• ChrisTech
        • Mar 2004

When I worked @ Kmart (Big K) they were suppossed to do employee reveiws every 90 days. Obviously it didn't happen. After 1 year I got my yearly review, and got a whole quarter ($0.25) per hour raise.

When I worked @ Burger King back in high school/college I got started a bit above min wage (think it was like $0.15 above), then min wage went up, and I went to a quarter ($0.25) above min wage. No one else got that from what I knew, but being a hard worker, being on time (usually early) everytime, and working extra hours, I figured I'd earned it. Later on (after being there for approx. 1.5 years, I got a large raise, and got to be a manager (joy).

You might want to ask, offhand to a boss or a manager (if you werent told durring your interview, or say you forgot) when they do employee reviews, ect. If you are in a Union, then there is a set time for that, check with your Union rep.

Personally, I'd rather get more training while I can, which ensures me more hours, as you are able to do more tasks, incase they start laying people off. You would be picked to stay on, as you have had more training.
        Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Buddha
          • Mar 2004

You sound like the perfect employee. Someone has evidently discovered how bright you are and decided to increase your value to the company (or themselves) by training you. There are usually three ways to make more money in retail: "time and good behavior", overtime or promotion. To get promoted you need training and opportunity - your getting the training. Your lucky. Now you just need to wait for a position to open up - the opportunity. Overtime, you getting any? I hope you are.

As for your question ...
          So adding this all up - does $6.40/hr (just over FL min. wage) sound
          "fair"? Should I ask for a raise already or wait til I've been there
          for six months? Or just wait til I finish my office training?
          Your probably not going to get a raise with only four months on the job. If Food Lion is on a six month review schedule then count yourself lucky. Most places I worked had annual reviews. Here's a list of dos and don'ts when asking for a raise.

Fran had a lot of good advice especially about furthering your education. People with college educations still make more than those with or without a high school diploma. So what are your college plans?
          "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2004

What I know (bout FL benefits) is....
            A limited number of $1,000 scholarships are avail. and
            can apply to after 6mo+ of employment. Hardly any
            benefits (Going by the website) for part time....
            Any sort of Profit-sharing, 401K, etc. is only if you
            score alotta hours and are full time....

From what I "gather" a 6mo review is "supposed" to happen
            and then after that once a year. Again from what I've been
            told (in snippets) from our CSM (Customer Service Manager) who
            is also the front-end dept. manager. Me? Get overtime @ Food Lion?
            Thats a laugh ! HAHA. This week is the first I'll break the 36hr mark
            (like 37-39hr) and before last week my record was a 30hr work week.
            Overtime is horribly opposed @ FL. They do their best to GET YOU HOME
            before you hit 40hrs. We're "opposed to unions" 'cause we "believe" in
            the whole "associates and management can work together" and that
            unions would be all antaginistic (sp?) and whatever else :P

Now the best Q of 'em all... I called HR flag on a coworker bout a month
            ago. I'd told my immediate superviser TWICE - once like ok ths is bordering
            harrassment don't put me wih her PLEASE. Second I came forward after
            out and direct harrassment and physical threats. This was aftering reporting
            it to the manager on duty who wrote a note to her and told me to
            come back next day. Shhe really didn't do much. Waited like 5 days and
            nobody menioned it again and everything I'd read/heard suggested y'kno
            ususually you WRITE this stuff down and sign it and whatever else.
            So I asked the ast. grocer manager one night and he was surprised
            bout it and personally handled it and had me write out a crapload of
            paperwork. Since then this person has only worked 1day a week and
            never the same day as me. Does this effect me in anyway for raise/promotion
            consideration? I am guessing a big ol' NO.
            - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
              • Mar 2004

OK, sounds like it is just an hourly job for you then. Some employers have tuition reimbursement for their full time employees (we pay up to $5,000 per year in reimbursement, but there are "strings" attached). But most service jobs don't have that. Hold out to see if there's a 6 month review and then ask if you don't get one.

Now the best Q of 'em all... I called HR flag on a coworker bout a month
              ago. I'd told my immediate superviser TWICE - once like ok ths is bordering
              harrassment don't put me wih her PLEASE. Second I came forward after
              out and direct harrassment and physical threats. This was aftering reporting
              it to the manager on duty who wrote a note to her and told me to
              come back next day. Shhe really didn't do much. Waited like 5 days and
              nobody menioned it again and everything I'd read/heard suggested y'kno
              ususually you WRITE this stuff down and sign it and whatever else.
              So I asked the ast. grocer manager one night and he was surprised
              bout it and personally handled it and had me write out a crapload of
              paperwork. Since then this person has only worked 1day a week and
              never the same day as me. Does this effect me in anyway for raise/promotion
              consideration? I am guessing a big ol' NO.
              It probably won't affect your career unless there's a pattern of complaints, etc. If you file three or four complaints about three or four different people then they might start thinking YOU are the problem. In any employee dispute, there are competing rules the managers have to follow. One is to try and deal with the situation in a manner that keeps the company safe from employee lawsuits, another is to try and keep the working folks working well together, and the other is a requirement that everyone's right to privacy is maintained. In other words, your manager really shouldn't tell you what they did to the other person. It sounds like the other person is on a minimum schedule, and they are probably trying to get her to quit ... which is much easier to deal with than trying to fire someone.

Comment

• Fran
                • Apr 2004

Whether you're part time or full time, you should be aware of policies. They're not offering overtime pay or a lot of benefits, but there is training - take it as far as you can. Keep training records and class certificates for your resume, regardless of how meaningless you believe it is. I interview ocassionally (they want a tech guy's opinion) and I often recommend applicants showing initiative with no specific experience, they can learn and extend more effort.

In this case, there are scholarships. If they do not have to be paid back and there are no strings attached, so much the better, but that's free money for your education regardless. Get smart and maintain confidence in your abilities, those are traits that will make you successful. (Don't over do it!)

- Fran

Comment

• Jonathan
                  • Mar 2004

Well I asked bout the scholarships and got a little bit of info.
                  Seems like a good deal. Also asked about the time-frame for
                  reviews on performance and what'd come "after office". Also
                  got some insight into WHY I've been selected to train in office
                  considering we just got 2 other people up in there (plus the 2 already).

Things I learned:
                  - Six months is standard
                  - Likely to get a decent raise based on performance right now
                  - My office #'s are HIGHER than the 2 other people just trained
                  - Seen as a more "long term" investment vs. the other 2 just added to office.
                  - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                    • Mar 2004

Well I asked bout the scholarships and got a little bit of info.
                    Seems like a good deal. Also asked about the time-frame for
                    reviews on performance and what'd come "after office". Also
                    got some insight into WHY I've been selected to train in office
                    considering we just got 2 other people up in there (plus the 2 already).

Things I learned:
                    - Six months is standard
                    - Likely to get a decent raise based on performance right now
                    - My office #'s are HIGHER than the 2 other people just trained
                    - Seen as a more "long term" investment vs. the other 2 just added to office.
                    Very, very nice! No matter what you do in the future, this type of advancement in your first job is very impressive. Plus, having a feeling of success makes working sooooo much easier!

Comment

• openbox
                      • Mar 2004

Jonathon, whatever you do, don't let this praise and feedback go to your head. Maintain your discipline and continue to do the best job you can. There's always room for improvement no matter how good you are. Never stop learning or looking for ways to advance yourself.

Too often I've witnessed people that do a few great things and get the recognition only to falter because their heads swelled with the positive feedback. Always try your hardest and you will succeed at whatever you do...and you'll be rewarded for your efforts

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2004

Well its confirmed my dept. manager made a smart move
                        "Person 1" has put in his two week notice to go work @ another
                        grocery store that'll pay him a whole 60¢/hr more than he makes.
                        "Person 2" HAD Been saying for like 2wi she was gonna get another
                        job then she had shut up but tonight she started it again. Oh and I
                        think I got brownie points 'cause I stepped off the register and stocked
                        all day + stayed over a hour extra @ the request of the store manager.
                        Can't wait til tomorrow... and yea I'm "trying" to not let this go to my
                        head but its hard I had 2 tell the dude who trained me bout how
                        I made office. We talked bout it for awhile and he offered awesome
                        advise. The sort that only comes after you've been there for several years.
                        He's kinda like me - he's experienced in alot of it. Every dept. I know for
                        fact 'xcept Deli/Bakery and Market/Meat but I wouldn't be surprised if
                        he knew how to do those 2.
                        - C

Comment

• earthandspace.info
                          • Jul 2004

Pay Critic ?? ....

I don't mean to be a pay critic. If you are conducting extended job duties, I believe you should be compensated accordingly. Unless cost of living is dirt cheap compared to the Dallas area, the minimum going rate for your position is like $7.50. Any employers who wants to keep people more than a few months will pay between $7.50 and $8.00 per hour. Those that pay less typically has 200% turnover and knows how to manage that well.
                          Alpha Centauri's Universe

Exploring our universe from Earth to the most distant of galaxies!

Comment

• Jonathan
                            • Mar 2004

Well it doesn't matter right now. I'm making do w/ this and sporadic side gigs.
                            I am banking on this one (tutoring) with my EX-ged teacher on Sunday. Pending
                            how well it goes he needs somebody in-house @ his business to do small stuff and
                            possibly maintance... But yea the pay blows @ my reg day job...hope it imroves soon
                            - C

Comment

Working...