Thread: Hosting a subdomain but not the domain

Default Hosting a subdomain but not the domain

A friend has requested that we host a subdomain for him. He hosts his own domain himself.

As far as creating the account I am guessing that I would just create subdomain.domain.com and he would have to make DNS changes himself so that traffic to the subdomain come to us and not him.

What changes would he need to make?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn
    A friend has requested that we host a subdomain for him. He hosts his own domain himself.

As far as creating the account I am guessing that I would just create subdomain.domain.com and he would have to make DNS changes himself so that traffic to the subdomain come to us and not him.

What changes would he need to make?

DNS changes are made at the domain registry where he registered his domain. If he changes his DNS to point to the domain on your server, then the domain on his server won't be accessable through the domain name. Either you have to host his entire domain, subdomain included, or he has to host his subdomain himself to be able to use the http://subdomain.domain.com adddress.

I dont believe that to be the case. I think there is something you can do with the Zone file by adding an A record but am not completely sure of the process.

Maybe someone else can help?

Quote Originally Posted by SC_
    Either you have to host his entire domain, subdomain included, or he has to host his subdomain himself to be able to use the http://subdomain.domain.com adddress.

You create an account on dathorns server with the subdomain as the domain name.

Then your friend must get an A record created at their other host for subdomain.domain.com to point to the dathorn server.

Quote Originally Posted by james
    You create an account on dathorns server with the subdomain as the domain name.

Then your friend must get an A record created at their other host for subdomain.domain.com to point to the dathorn server.
    This is the way to go if you're only to host the website. If your friend needs a separate mail server too he should delegate the subdomain zone to Dathorn's name servers (or add A and MX records for the subdomain to his DNS).

Thread Information