Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: contact.php hacking

Hi. I've got a few contact forms around which all use three pages (with different info); contact.htm, global.inc.php & process.php - does this problem apply to these do you think?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by scojam
    Any comments/suggestions?
    This thread is full of suggestions. Add the anti-spam image I posted about on the very first post. It seems to work well for most people. I've used it on all my pages.

Quote Originally Posted by jobe
    Hi. I've got a few contact forms around which all use three pages (with different info); contact.htm, global.inc.php & process.php - does this problem apply to these do you think?
    I have found that any page that can send a mail form is being hit from advertising contact forms to email a friend forms. I've just added anti-spam images to all them and functions to remove bad characters to most of them.
    Dan Blomberg

A couple of months ago I started receiving mails that seemed to try to exploit this failure. I found this website:

http://www.anders.com/cms/75/Crack.Attempt/Spam.Relay

lots of comments on how to solve the problem.

However, I would appreciate if somebody tells me how to detect the problem. I found out because the email bounced. But what happens if it doesn't? Do we have access to email logs?

Thanks.

I would appreciate knowing how to tell as well.

Also would dathorn inform us if it happens to allow us time to make changes before a suspension. Not being proficient in php in any way, this is going to take a bit of time to get sorted.

You do not have access to the mail logs so there is no immediate way to tell if it is occuring and to be honest we have to suspend domains that this is occuring on, we can unsuspend them once you contact us if you remove or disable the script entirely. This must be done to prevent server IP's from being blacklisted if at all possible.

You know, I am asking myself, will the day come, when someone would say "Enough is enough!" and start taking spam as serious criminal activity and also pay attention to ISP's that alow their systems to be used to make atacks.

As long as abuse is not sanctioned properly we will all suffer. Solution is not to prevent them to do it, but to punishing them when they do it.

Any idea which servers the spam is comming from? I offer a contact script on my site (http://programs.themike.com/) and I'd like to know if there are any problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh80
    Any idea which servers the spam is comming from? I offer a contact script on my site (http://programs.themike.com/) and I'd like to know if there are any problems with it.
    You should be okay because a bot can't read the secureity image you include with your script.
    Dan Blomberg

Thanks for that handy script scojam, I haven't been suspended, but I put that up to prevent any problems.

BTW, it's not that Image security cannot be broken. See this, http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~mori/research/gimpy/

Thread Information