Google Analytics: Using Google to track your website stats.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shazer7
    • Apr 2004

Google Analytics: Using Google to track your website stats.

I am always a day late and a penny short with information, but Google has a new service that you can use to keep tags on your site, such as were the user came from and how they interact on your site. The URL is listed below.

Google Analytics gives you the tools you need to better understand your customers. You can then use those business insights to take action, such as improving your website, creating tailored audience lists, and more.
  • sdjl
    • Mar 2004

There's some interesting things in their Terms and Conditions:
    Unless You notify Google otherwise in writing, You hereby grant to Google and its wholly owned subsidiaries a limited license to use Your trade names, trademarks, service marks, logos, domain names and other distinctive brand features ("Brand Features") in presentations, marketing materials, customer lists, and financial reports. Further, Unless You notify Google otherwise in writing, Google and its wholly owned subsidiaries retain the right to identify You as a valued customer and optionally issue a press release that, at a minimum, discloses You have licensed the Product and that the Product is Your preferred web analytics package.
    and..

Google and its wholly owned subsidiaries may retain and use, subject to the terms of its Privacy Policy (located at http://www.google.com/privacy.html , or such other URL as Google may provide from time to time), information collected in Your use of the Service.
    Whilst i'm sure many other statistics providers also have similar TOS, they aren't google. We all know how good google are at wanting to find out what people do whilst online

David
    -----
    Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• -Oz-
      • Mar 2004

I"m using it anyway. Its pretty nifty. I like the exactness of the stats. So in depth.
      Dan Blomberg

Comment

• ThomasW
        • Mar 2004

I would like to use it, but it is not working for me. I installed it on a few Joomla sites yesterday morning and at first it said could not connect.
        I looked a few times found nothing, found a link to google where they admited it was not working. Now it connects, but 18 hours later no reports.

Also on google's "how to install" page the "sample" link gave you a 404.

One might wonder if google simply has to much on their plate now????
        "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Comment

• -Oz-
          • Mar 2004

Thomas, make sure your reports aren't there. Mine said the reports weren't ready but if I click view data the reports actually are ready.
          Dan Blomberg

Comment

• ThomasW
            • Mar 2004

Nope, tried that, 0 page views for all 3 domains.

Also if you click on the Q/A links on the right you get a Secure/NonSecure warning box.

Offhand it looks like google is pulling an M$ and pushing something to quick to market.
            "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Comment

• -Oz-
              • Mar 2004

the support guy i emailed replied in about 24hrs (i sent it late at night) and said they were "suprised" by the popularity, that may be why. But yeah, this prolly should have entered a limited beta phase then public.
              Dan Blomberg

Comment

• ChrisTech
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by -Oz-
                the support guy i emailed replied in about 24hrs (i sent it late at night) and said they were "suprised" by the popularity, that may be why. But yeah, this prolly should have entered a limited beta phase then public.
                How can google be "surprised" by anything, anymore?

Maybe the guy was "new".
                Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• shalom_m
                  • Mar 2004

I tried it too.
                  Two websites for a start.
                  72 hours later - still NOTHING!!!

Comment

• shazer7
                    • Apr 2004

I have installed this script on two sites and they work fine.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      • Mar 2004

The main screen says I have errors in my sites, but if you view reports you do get data, however I am not sure how accurate it is, I have not compared it to anything.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        • Mar 2004

3 of 4 sites I have this on seem to be working correcty now. Sadly I see that Google has removed the link to add more sites for now, until they can meet demand I guess.

Comment

Working...