Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anguz
    • Mar 2004

Changing domain for an account

I have a client that lost her domain name and now has a new one, but the website is basically the same. How do I just change the domain name for that account without having to create a new account for that domain and then move everything over to it? Sorry if this is a silly question, it's my first time having to do this. TIA.
  • james
    • Mar 2004

From memory I think it's recommended to create a new account rather than change the domain.

Lots of problems occur if you change the domain.

I'd recommend doing a home directory backup of the old domain, and creating a new account and restoring this backup to the new domain.

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Please do NOT modify the account via WHM to change the domain name. This will cause problems with the account and ultimately result in you needing to recreate it. The only other option that you have aside from recreating the account is to simply park the new domain onto the existing account.

Comment

• anguz
        • Mar 2004

What's the easiest way to move the account to a new one with database and all? And how does the domain parking option work?

Comment

• anguz
          • Mar 2004

Nevermind, I think I can pull it off.

Comment

• Buddha
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by anguz
            Nevermind, I think I can pull it off.
            If you find something easier than PHPMyAdmin and FTP ... please share.
            "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• anguz
              • Mar 2004

That's what I used. The FTP took a long time though, cause one of the dirs had around 2400 images.

Comment

• inztinkt
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Buddha
                If you find something easier than PHPMyAdmin and FTP ... please share.
                so i take it this is the only way to move content from one domain to another even if they are both on the same server? i need to move across 1 of my galleries from my personal domain to another one hosted here on dathorn aswell. There is many images but no databases, please let me know if there is another way. Thanks and merry christmas to those who celebrate it.
                <!-- // Blah! // -->

Comment

• openbox
                  • Mar 2004

SSH into your domain with the pics and then FTP (or SCP) to the new domain and 'put' your images. Server to server file transfer should take almost no time at all.

Comment

Working...