Firefox 1.5

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

I'm not too happy with these FF problems but I still remember those Blue Screen errors even less fondly from IE. At least when FF crashes, which is seldom, it doesn't take my word processor with it. Nor does it plugins screw up the registry either. Not missing any thing from IE here.

Next time I'll join the FF beta testing so I can bitch more constructively. Live and learn ...
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• ChrisTech
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
      I'm not too happy with these FF problems but I still remember those Blue Screen errors even less fondly from IE. At least when FF crashes, which is seldom, it doesn't take my word processor with it. Nor does it plugins screw up the registry either. Not missing any thing from IE here.

Next time I'll join the FF beta testing so I can bitch more constructively. Live and learn ...
      Except some of us, who are excessive tab users. Normally on my laptop I have 6-10 open at a time. If I'm researching a pc fix, or such make that up to 20. On my home PC, I've had over 50 open at a time, while researching, but normally have 8-12 open at a time.

When it crashes, URGH!
      Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• openbox
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sdjl
        I'm starting to get a little irritated with firefox now.
        I'm increasingly noticing that it's using between 60 and 85% of my CPU, which for a mac, is bad.

Not good.

David
        Wow, my PowerBook doesn't have any problem with FF 1.5. Currently, it's alternating between 0% and 0.9% CPU. It's using about 4.5% memory, but that's ok because I have 1GB RAM.

Comment

• sdjl
          • Mar 2004

Yeah, i like to my tabs too
          I sometimes have up to around 15 or 20 open sometimes, although it's normally around the 4 - 10 mark most days.

With regards to my CPU issue, i quit the program fully then reopened it and it was fine. I did notice on some forums that Adblock should be changed to Adblock Plus when using 1.5, so i did that too and nothing seems to have occured since.

David
          -----
          Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• Buddha
            • Mar 2004

I've been using the Tab Mix Plus for a while with out trouble. I think I used TabExtension(?) before and that sucked. (Even the author admits it.) Never thought of myself as using excessive tabs before. Guess I do.
            "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• -Oz-
              • Mar 2004

after I formatted my PC i reinstalled FF 1.5 and no problems so far. Granted I think i'm also using Flash 7 cuz that is what came iwth Flash MX.

I use tab clicking options tab extension because I only care about double click to open and double click to close.
              Dan Blomberg

Comment

• ThomasW
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ChrisTech
                Time to revert back to an older version, while you wait for them to fix said problems. I'm sure glad I haven't updated now. With multiple issues others seem to have. Then again, if I could, I would prolly still be using other older software. I miss the different First Class Client communities (if anyone remembers that software)
                Our local school system using First Class, I have used it a few times and actually kind of like it....
                "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Comment

• ChrisTech
                  • Mar 2004

I used FFC originally to connect to a semi-local ISP, which at the time, was a mix of pc/mac users (1998-ish). Pretty neat software at the time. Then even after they closed down, it was still semi-popular for fan groups, or small BBS like boards that you could always find. Now it seems its almost all EDU's that use them.

And as for FF Tabs, when I used to do research or looking up fixes while @ work/home I used to have 20-30 IE windows open at once (talk about FUN!)
                  Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• bhills
                    • Mar 2004

held off

I held off upgrading, and am still at Firefox 1.0.7. Is there any reason I shouldn't just hold here for awhile? I don't think there are any security concerns with this version.

Comment

• Buddha
                      • Mar 2004

I held off upgrading, and am still at Firefox 1.0.7. Is there any reason I shouldn't just hold here for awhile? I don't think there are any security concerns with this version.
                      InformationWeek just recommended holding off on FF1.5. IMHO, InformationWeek ripped the developers a new a$$ in there article this week.

Comment

• -Oz-
                        • Mar 2004

good finally someone made sure firefox wasn't totally invincible.
                        Dan Blomberg

Comment

• bhills
                          • Mar 2004

yikes

Egads, after looking at that Information Age article, I'm definitely holding in the old version until the bugs are worked out... thanks.

Comment

Working...