Firefox 1.5

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -Oz-
    • Mar 2004

i wasn't but i successfully broke quicktime while trying to upgrade it and therefore itunes both of which i use a lot and since i can't get them to repair, uninstall, or reinstall I may just have to format this computer anyway. Then i can install 1.0.7.
    Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Buddha
      • Mar 2004

That sucks.

Rolling back to Flash 7 seems to have solved my FF 1.5 problems. My CPU/Memory are back to normal if not actually a little better.

I think they could've used more beta testing on this release and could've waited till after the holidays to actually release it.

Of course, I'm still waiting for Chris to say, "I told you so!"
      "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• ChrisTech
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
        That sucks.

Rolling back to Flash 7 seems to have solved my FF 1.5 problems. My CPU/Memory are back to normal if not actually a little better.

I think they could've used more beta testing on this release and could've waited till after the holidays to actually release it.

Of course, I'm still waiting for Chris to say, "I told you so!"

=p

Last flash upgrade messed with Adblock extension a while back anyway. I rarely update software on my own PC.
        Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• ChrisTech
          • Mar 2004

To further promote my "if it aint broke don't break it more" I added a 2nd sata hd to my pc tonite. Before shutting down for the first time in well over a month (windows 2k pro) I did all the waiting windows updates (13 of them) and I installed my Norton Ghost 9. Then I shut my machine down. Installed the new Hitachi 250 gig sata hd (ohhh pretty) and booted up the box. Oh joy, NTLDR is missing. Thank you NTLDR gods. Just what I wanted. Not sure if it was the windows updates (screw you bill) or the Norton Ghost 9 install (thx Symantec) but I was able to fix it. I backed up my boot.ini file, my NTLDR file and NTDETECT.COM files. Then replaced them with the files from my other 2k pro machine. Shut down the machine. Booted it up, and ahah! It worked.

Article I did on the fix that I did is found here on my tech site.

I was thankfully able to fix my overall problem (as C drive is a sata hd) by booting to a spare 40 gig IDE hd with my copy of xp pro (yes, my legit copy of it from college) to backup files, as well as make the switch. This is the 2nd time that spare drive has come in handy for such a thing.

Comment

• -Oz-
            • Mar 2004

yeah, thats why i'm still running winxp pro service pack 1 not 2. And I hate all Norton products.
            Dan Blomberg

Comment

• sdjl
              • Mar 2004

This is why i use a mac now
              -----
              Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• Buddha
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sdjl
                This is why i use a mac now
                The world will be a better place if ... or better yet when ... Apple releases OSX for Intel.
                "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• ChrisTech
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
                  The world will be a better place if ... or better yet when ... Apple releases OSX for Intel.
                  Then wouldn't OSX be targeted with viruses and junk as well?

Comment

• Ian
                    • Mar 2004

One of the reasons its so good is because they can target exact hardware and optimize for it. Even with more malicious targeting though I think that Apple software or any software for that matter is more secure than MS. I mean look at their Remote Outlook, the logout button doesn't even log you out. It just takes you to a page that says close your browser. This is more insecure than if they had not added a logout button at all. So yes it is targeted more, but its also less secure by nature.
                    www.ianhoar.com - A place to geek out

Comment

• Buddha
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ChrisTech
                      Then wouldn't OSX be targeted with viruses and junk as well?
                      I was thinking of the effect it would have on the desktop. OSX has a great desktop and established application base with a kernel of BSD goodness on the inside for the geek. It's a Microsoft destop killer. I'm actually looking forward to MacWorld just to see what Apple comes up with this next year.

... anyway Mac already have viruses and junk ... just wish my Mac friends would stop sending them to me. "I can't open this attachment. Can you?" I've collected some of the most nasty viruses from my Mac friends that way.

Comment

• Denver Dave
                        • Sep 2004

With Firefox 1.5 I've noticed in a couple of applications: phpbb and cubecart, that I have to login more than once. It's like the cookie does not take the first time. I.E. 6 does not seem to have this problem. Anyone else experiencing this?

Comment

• Buddha
                          • Mar 2004

Yep. Seem to happen with a couple of new reseller accounts today. They were HTTP authentications and seemed to work fine after restarting.

Comment

• -Oz-
                            • Mar 2004

they really need to fix some of these bugs. they're getting a bad rep from this upgrade
                            Dan Blomberg

Comment

• sdjl
                              • Mar 2004

I'm starting to get a little irritated with firefox now.
                              I'm increasingly noticing that it's using between 60 and 85% of my CPU, which for a mac, is bad.

Not good.

David
                              -----
                              Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• ChrisTech
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sdjl
                                I'm starting to get a little irritated with firefox now.
                                I'm increasingly noticing that it's using between 60 and 85% of my CPU, which for a mac, is bad.

Not good.

David
                                Time to revert back to an older version, while you wait for them to fix said problems. I'm sure glad I haven't updated now. With multiple issues others seem to have. Then again, if I could, I would prolly still be using other older software. I miss the different First Class Client communities (if anyone remembers that software)

Comment

Working...