X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J-G
    • May 2004

Took the CMS Plunge

Hi whm'ers,

I finally Just Did It and installed phpWebsite onto a customer site where I am also a volunteer.

I had forgotten how painless cPanel makes installs.
    I just hope it doesn't come back to bite me... anywhere.

Now if These People could DOCUMENT this thing consistently, I'd be a tad less frustrated...
    กกก Jess G. กกก
  • cathode
    • Oct 2004

Watch out for those cpanel-supplied scripts, they are not nessesarily up to date. if it gets hacked, you could lose your dathorn acct. it's your responsibility to stay on top of updates and patches.

The best CMS that I have found is Etomite - it's so easy to use. I use it exclusively here on my dathorn acct.
    Last edited by cathode; 01-05-2006, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• lucid.media
      • Jul 2005

I would personally recommend e107
      it's just gone stable after over a year of development, so it's a good time to try it out

Comment

• ChrisTech
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by lucid.media
        I would personally recommend e107
        it's just gone stable after over a year of development, so it's a good time to try it out
        That's what I've been using on my site now for well over a year...pretty basic, but don't need a whole lot, other than to be able to update or or add download files while not at home.
        Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Extremeality
          • Mar 2004

Hey ChrisTech,

I also use e107 for my site. Have you upgraded to 0.7.1 version yet? I did and for some reason some of my users are getting a blank screen or not able to log in. Just wondering if you had any problems if you upgraded? I tried asking on the e107 forum but from what I've gathered they have no idea what's causing this. I'm can't seem to reproduce this cause from my end as I'm not having any problems. I'm just wondering if you had issues like this and if you found a solution?

Thanks!

Comment

• ChrisTech
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Extremeality
            Hey ChrisTech,

I also use e107 for my site. Have you upgraded to 0.7.1 version yet? I did and for some reason some of my users are getting a blank screen or not able to log in. Just wondering if you had any problems if you upgraded? I tried asking on the e107 forum but from what I've gathered they have no idea what's causing this. I'm can't seem to reproduce this cause from my end as I'm not having any problems. I'm just wondering if you had issues like this and if you found a solution?

Thanks!
            Nope, I saw some people having problems, and at the time they had released it I didn't think it was a "stable" version. Thought it was a "beta" version?

Might try re-upping all the files for the upgrade, or checking the chmods for the different files.

Comment

• halyfax
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cathode
              Watch out for those cpanel-supplied scripts, they are not nessesarily up to date. if it gets hacked, you could lose your dathorn acct. it's your responsibility to stay on top of updates and patches.

The best CMS that I have found is Etomite - it's so easy to use. I use it exclusively here on my dathorn acct.
              You may want to check your Etomite, the current package was pulled due to security reasons. there is a patch. I think it is version .6??

Comment

• Extremeality
                • Mar 2004

e107 released version 0.7.1 on Jan 18 which according to their site is a stable release. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• cathode
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by halyfax
                  You may want to check your Etomite, the current package was pulled due to security reasons. there is a patch. I think it is version .6??
                  I'm always ahead of the curve on etomite

Comment

• ChrisTech
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Extremeality
                    e107 released version 0.7.1 on Jan 18 which according to their site is a stable release. Thanks for the advice.
                    Well, the version I have, is exploitable somehow, they were able to upload their own index file removing the e107 stuff now, and will just put up a header page for now, might just push my foums as the main page instead of the cms.

*sigh*

And e107 is completely removed, all files, password on the site is changed. Meh, not something I want to deal with attempting to fix tonite.
                    Last edited by ChrisTech; 02-09-2006, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Extremeality
                      • Mar 2004

My site was also exploitable too when I was using 0.617 version. The reason why it was hacked was because the hacker somehow gained access to this folder "\htmlarea\" located under handlers folder which you will need to delete the htmlarea folder and all its files. e107.org explains better details about this. Hope this helps.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                        • Mar 2004

I ended up saving my db, wiping out e107, installing a fresh version, with a new database (need to use same user/pass). Once it was installed, I opened phpmyadmin dropped all the tables for my current install (fresh install with same user/pass/database name as the old one) then imported the old database. Then went to the direct url for admin, logged in using old user/pass. Went to database admin, and converted the db to the correct one.

And its back up...kinda...some stuff is messed up, and the plugins are shot to schlack. But it has all my info. All my data. Just needs a little tender love and care to finish it up. Hopefully this can help someone else. Took me about 4 hours of messing with it, and several different installs, and whatnot to figure it out. But once I figured it out, its like...well...the best feeling in the world. I accomplished something tonite. Not what I planned on doing this morning when I woke up, but I did do something good.

Now, if someone can figure out why the Gateway machine I'm working on @ work, won't play nice with service pack 2 (on a fresh install of xp home) I will be happy. (constant reboots after sp2 is installed, can only load into safe mode w/ command line).

Comment

• Buddha
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ChrisTech
                          Now, if someone can figure out why the Gateway machine I'm working on @ work, won't play nice with service pack 2 (on a fresh install of xp home) I will be happy. (constant reboots after sp2 is installed, can only load into safe mode w/ command line).
                          Have you checked the BIOS? All the fans on?
                          "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• ChrisTech
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
                            Have you checked the BIOS? All the fans on?
                            Yup, everything is good, my full system check (QuickTec) ran all nite last night, nothing reporting errors. Going to try installing xp once more, then just updating via windows updates and see if it makes any difference (was installing SP2 straight from their cd). Shouldn't make a difference, but will find out. And this is a fairly old system. It's got "RIMM's" in it (128 megs ram total ) *cringe*

Comment

• Buddha
                              • Mar 2004

Have you disabled automatic reboot on system failure?

Critical Update for Windows XP (KB885626)
                              "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

Working...