Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Byon
    • Mar 2004

Version control, webDAV, Ruby on Rails

I have a friend that wants a host with version control, webDAV access and ruby on rails? I don't think Dathorn does webDav, but what about the others? He was looking at http://textdrive.com/hosting/shared, which is more expensive than Dathorn, but provides those 3.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

We do not offer Ruby on Rails, you will need to provide us more information the "version control".

Comment

• Byon
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
      We do not offer Ruby on Rails, you will need to provide us more information the "version control".
      I mean support for things like CVS, Subversion, SVK, Darcs, Monotone, Arch, etc.

Byon

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

Sorry, those are not offered either.

Comment

• benklocek
          • Apr 2004

Future plans?

Is there any plan of offering it in the future?

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

Not at this time.

Comment

• james
              • Mar 2004

I would suggest getting your own VPS for this.

I have a VPS at another company in addition to my reseller account here, and I have installed subversion on it.

I have also heavily customised apache.

If I wanted to, I could quite easily install RoR.

PM me if you would like more information on who I have my VPS with.

James

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

Just to clarify, there were 3 different features listed in the initial post and I'm not sure which you were referring to benklocek. Ruby is the only one that I could see us offering in the future, but not any time soon.

Comment

• SeanCustomer
                  • Jun 2006

Ruby on Rails, please.

I am yet another customer seeking Ruby on Rails support. In searching the forums, I have seen many requests for the same. I'm not sure how you determine when a critical mass point is reached, but it seems to me there is some demand.

Customer survey, polling? Those might be slightly more reliable methods to ascertain the desire for a new feature.

Ruby on Rails is necessary for me. I expect to migrate all clients/projects/sites away from PHP and into RoR over the next 12-18 months, starting soon on new projects. I'd very much like to stay at Dathorn and grow my account size here.

Comment

• AndrewT
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2004

Current cPanel based ruby implementations are far from ideal at this point. In my opinion, they are horrible. Until there is a better way to offer it we do not plan on proceeding with it.

Comment

• ZYV
                      • Sep 2005

Personally, I am very interested in SVN, though I understand that probalby that won't be offered any time soon Anyone to second me?

Comment

• joan
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ZYV
                        Personally, I am very interested in SVN, though I understand that probalby that won't be offered any time soon Anyone to second me?
                        Seconded

Comment

• dammitjanet
                          • Jan 2005

Slight question on Ruby

Andrew

i know you have stated that you are waiting for CPanel's Ruby installation stack (ie Rails) to become more mature before implementing Ruby on your servers.

However would it be possible just to install the Ruby binaries for those of us comfortable enough to install the applications ourselves?

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

Not at this time. We're continuing to work on a good solution for this. Most cPanel hosts are using fastcgi, which is an easy but not very good solution. Ruby/ROR is certainly a feature that we would like to offer in the near future, we just want to do it right.

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

What are your (as in anyone) thoughts and opinions on possibly having Ruby without Rails? Perhaps running something like eruby? Or is rails the selling point for you?

My experience with Ruby is fairly limited (I prefer PHP 5) and I just want to try and grasp what everyone is and/or plans on using it for.

Comment

Working...